Advice for GSD Puppy with Congenital MEGA-E - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2014, 10:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First Time GSD Owner Seeks Digestive Advice

Hello, I'm new to the forum and just got my first German Shepherd, Scout, last night (I've wanted one literally my whole life and am so excited to have the little guy). My girlfriends sister works with someone who lives next to a breeder that has a litter of 7 puppies born on Halloween. One of the. Was having digestive issues and I guess had been throwing up pretty much anything he ate and is significantly smaller than the others. I fell in love and knew the puppy would die if he stayed at the breeders because with 2 parent GSD and 6 other puppies, he just wasn't able to give the care and attention he needs. For the last 5 days he was feeding him raw meat and he said he did fairly well on it. Last night after I got him I got taste of the wild puppy formula from Specs and a lady working there also owns a rescue shelter and is a veterinarian and she suggested rather than adding an enzyme supplement to the food to try adding plain yogurt or cottage cheese and that might help the digestive issues.

Last night he ate and threw up about an hour later. This morning he ate and threw it up a few hours later. I got him into the vet today and they kept him all day to observe and try and diagnose the situation. They saw him throw up first hing when he got in and the vet thought it was regurgitation and not vomiting and thinks his esophagus may be inflamed. She fed him small amounts of science prescription gastrointestinal wet food throughout the day and he was able to keep it down. They gave me 8 cans of the food and want to keep him on it a week or so to see how he does. They also gave me an enzyme supplement (been-bac gel) and famotidine tablets to give him daily.

They took a stool sample and I just got a call that the results came back positive for round worms and that I could pick up treatment for this tomorrow. I was kind of excited for this and hoping this was the issue and I texted the breeder and he said that they are all born with round worms and that he was due to be wormed again but he didn't want to with his issues and wormer is a poison. So now I'm not so sure. I'm going to mention this to the vet tomorrow to see their thoughts and if it's ok to still give him the treatment.

At first I was thinking maybe EPI but the vet didn't think so. His stools have been pretty decently solid. The last one a couple hours ago was solid until the last bit came out was a little more diarrhea looking and what I thought was a piece of grass coming out but might have been a worm?

i just want this little guy better and healthy and to live a good life. Does anyone have any thoughts or insight to any of this? FYI he is 10 weeks and weighed 13.2lbs so he's definitely under weight. His parents were huge, the dad 85lbs and mom probably 75lbs.

Attached are pictures of what the Vet said as well as a couple pictures of Scout. Our 2.5 year old pitbull mix loves him and is thrilled to have a little brother for a playmate!
Attached Thumbnails
Advice for GSD Puppy with Congenital MEGA-E-image.jpg  
PremierPOWER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Another pict
Attached Thumbnails
Old 01-14-2014, 10:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Vet exam sheet
Attached Thumbnails
Old 01-14-2014, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

And break down of what the vet did. Sorry, my ipad only let's me attach one picture per post for some reason?
Attached Thumbnails
Old 01-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Awww! He is precious!! I'm sorry I don't have any experienced advice to give.... And I expect you already know to get rid of that rawhide, or at least be very careful to keep it from your puppy's troubled tummy if the Pit leaves it lying around. Sending best wishes your way. Trusting someone here has some good advice...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
JackandMattie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 10:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It sounds like your pup has Megaesophagus. There are several threads on this board about gsds with Mega-E and lots of information on the internet. I am surprised that your vet did not diagnose this? Canine Megaesophagus, Aspiration Pneumonia & Myasthenia Gravis

The first place to start is to educate yourself about the disease and find a vet who is familiar with it. The biggest risk is aspiration pneumonia and so your dog will need to eat a special diet (people either make meatballs or patties for their dogs or some people feed a slurry style diet) and may need to eat in a Bailey chair to minimize the risk of aspiration.

There are several people on this board with Mega-E dogs so you should probably start a new thread in the health section.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowWowMeow View Post
It sounds like your pup has Megaesophagus. There are several threads on this board about gsds with Mega-E and lots of information on the internet. I am surprised that your vet did not diagnose this? Canine Megaesophagus, Aspiration Pneumonia & Myasthenia Gravis

The first place to start is to educate yourself about the disease and find a vet who is familiar with it. The biggest risk is aspiration pneumonia and so your dog will need to eat a special diet (people either make meatballs or patties for their dogs or some people feed a slurry style diet) and may need to eat in a Bailey chair to minimize the risk of aspiration.

There are several people on this board with Mega-E dogs so you should probably start a new thread in the health section.
The vet said he has sever esophagitis, is that the same thing?

I'm keeping a very detailed and specific log of how much I feed him, what time, what meds, when he poops and what it looks like with a picture, if he throws up, etc that way I can show the vet next week how everything has gone. I stopped by the vet today to get his medicine to treat the worms, it's 2 doses; 1 today and 1 in 2 weeks. I gave that to him a couple hours ago as well as some food and he's kept it Down. He did pee in his crate during work today and then had diarrhea when I took him outside (this was before I gave him the heart worm meds and food.

Since we are in potty training, I boiled some organic chicken breast and cut into small pieces to reward him when he pees or poops outside.

Another thing, what should I get for him to chew on/ play with? I don't want to upset his stomach with something he shouldn't have. I just want this guy to get healthy and will do whatever it takes
Attached Thumbnails
Old 01-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

He is peeing in his crate and has diarrhea? The worming meds often cause diarrhea. Heartworm and deworming meds are completely different. Which is he getting? Did he have diarrhea before he started the canned food? Personally, I would be concerned.

I assume you must mean severe esophagitis. That is inflammation of the esophagus and very different from Mega-E. I actually had not heard of that until I read about it here: http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com...date=&pageID=3

Did the vet mention Mega-E?

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 08:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowWowMeow View Post
He is peeing in his crate and has diarrhea? The worming meds often cause diarrhea. Heartworm and deworming meds are completely different. Which is he getting? Did he have diarrhea before he started the canned food? Personally, I would be concerned.

I assume you must mean severe esophagitis. That is inflammation of the esophagus and very different from Mega-E. I actually had not heard of that until I read about it here: Recognizing and treating esophageal disorders in dogs and cats - Veterinary Medicine

Did the vet mention Mega-E?
Yes, I meant severe lol

Today was the first time that he peed in his crate. He has not pooped in the crate yet. When I got home I carried him outside (legs and feet covered in pee) and he went poop but it was all diarrhea. He also had a little diarrhea about an hour ago. I just ordered some "Naturvet enzymes and probiotic" powder to put with each feeding.

His de worming meds I got today are 2 small syringes of pyrantel pamoate. The vet did not mention Mega-E, at least it don't recall her mentioning it. I've been slightly overwhelmed with all of this so I could have missed it. I will definitely bring it up at his appointment next Wednesday unless you think I should get him back in sooner?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Another thing that has been weird this afternoon/ evening is he keeps going and laying down in the kitchen (around the area I feed him). Even when I pick him up and take him to lay on the couch, he jumps down and goes to the kitchen. I'm not sure if it's because he likes laying on the cold hardwood floors or if it has something to do with because that's where I feed him. I'm actually sitting on my kitchen floor with him right now typing this ha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.