German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Inconstent stool quality (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/397481-inconstent-stool-quality.html)

RVDowning 01-17-2014 01:15 PM

Inconstent stool quality

I'll walk the hound and he will take a poop with stool of varying quality. It may be firm, as one might expect. Then a few minutes later, he will often stop and the stool will be rather watery. He may want to stop once or twice again, with either very liquidy stool or sometimes nothing coming out at all as though he might be having some digestive issues.

To try to get to the bottom of this I have stopped giving him any treats or anything other than his normal Kirkland Chicken and Rice food and he drinks only water.

Is this stool normal? Why would it vary so much? Is there some reason he would have an issue with this food? Is this an indication of something wrong such that I need to take him to the vet?

AmyOle 01-17-2014 01:58 PM

Sounds like symptoms my girl had when she had giardia. I'd go to the vet to rule that out.

Momto2GSDs 01-17-2014 05:04 PM

Kirkland is not a high quality kibble AND it is manufactured by Diamond whose ingredients are not consistent with each batch produced. There was also had a huge recall of Kirkland last summer. I don't trust anything made by Diamond!:sick:

Could be Giardia as RV mentioned, but could also be digestive problems. Here are two great Human Grade digestive enzymes/probiotics to help with this:
Sunday Sundae: Sunday Sundae Nutritional Supplement
Digest All Plus: The Wholistic Pet

Keep up posted!
Moms:)

Gretchen 01-17-2014 05:19 PM

Sounds like the colitis my dog gets, is there sometimes mucus in the stool or tinges of blood?

We tried The Honest Kitchen brand foods, it didn't matter if there was grain or no grain in the formula, or the type of protein. It just seems to do wonders for our dog. If stool samples are normal, try the Honest Kitchen for one meal a day, see what happens.

RVDowning 01-27-2014 09:32 AM

Just an update.

It turns out that he had roundworms and whipworms. I've started treatment for both and his stool is now much better.

Also, my GSD, Steiner, wants to thank whoever posted this link Whoops: Edited to note that it was not a link, it was a private email that I find quite valuable.

I now fill up his Kirkland Chicken, Rice & Vegetable kibble with hot water (to the top of the kibble) and let it set for 20 minutes so that all the water gets absorbed. I then add three tbl spoons of pumpkin and a 1200mg fish oil capsule. He now can't wait to eat whereas before he was kind of ho-hum about eating. He really seems to like it. I still need to get some vitamin E capsules to add to the mix.

I also had a wake-up call at the vet. His weight had gone from 87 lbs to 110 lbs. (The vet wouldn't believe me when I told her it was the leash.) Sigh... We had been rained out of too many runs and doggie park visits. So, with the increasing evening daylight I'm going to try taking him to the doggie park every day right after work so he can get some more exercise. Also, per the vet, I've reduced his kibble amount to 2.5 cups twice a day. I'd like to confirm here that that is not too much/little.

I've also been giving him a piece of cheese twice a day with a pain pill for a sprained ankle. That will probably continue for another 3 days or so.