Opinions Please! I think my 8 month old has a sebaceous cyst. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Opinions Please! I think my 8 month old has a sebaceous cyst.

I got my puppy out of her crate this morning and I noticed right away a marble size lump on her back paw! I shaved the area to get a better look to see if it was an injury. No puncture wounds that I could see from rough play with my other dogs and no insect bite either.
I immediately started researching on google. I think it may be a cyst. What do you think?
I called her vet and set up an appointment for Monday, but how should I care for it in the mean time.

I have soaked it in warm salt water and applied antibiotic cream but wanted to know if anyone else has some home remedies to keep my girl comfy.

Thanks for your help! Here is a picture of her paw!
Athena'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

no home remedies. the vet will remove if it is causing a problem. usually nothing to worry about, but maybe it is in a spot that will affect her.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 07:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

A nice wet warm rag will help until the vet removes it. My old girl had one a couple months back. After vet removed we kept it clean and before long it was all healed up. No trace of it now.

I do believe the vet has to remove it though as it needs to be cut and squeezed or cleaned out. My vet used local anesthesia and cut it off. But maybe some vet techs here have other ways to take care of it?
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I used tumeric powder when Kacie developed a couple cysts. I had one of them biopsied to make sure that is what they were.
The tumeric may(or may not) have helped to reabsorb them. She hasn't had any pop up in a few years.
I wouldn't really want them removed unless they are causing distress/depending on the location.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

not sure it looks sebacous to me, may be an abscess, stepped on something/thorn/infection,,yes best to go the vet.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That seems like an odd place to have a cyst. I would think more foreign object and possible abcess. Have a vet check that out. In the meantime, a warm compress with epsom salt might help

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My older one has one in a similar spot, but it's right on top of one of her toes instead of on the side like yours. Not quite as big as yours, but looks very similar in appearance.

I worry about stuff like cancer, so I brought her to the vet a couple weeks ago and she advised me to just keep an eye on it. No biopsy and didn't recommend removing it since it's not bothering her. Just to keep an eye on it. If it starts growing, she said to bring her back in to run tests. Other than that, she didn't seem to worried about it.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

A sebaceous cyst rarely causes any discomfort, at least in humans. If the capsule remains intact there should be no pain, redness, or swelling, other than it growing larger. Not due to inflammation.

If they decide to remove it, the general procedure is to anesthetize with a field block, make a half-moon shaped cut without rupturing the capsule, and using a scalpel to carefully cut out the capsule from the surrounding tissue. In many cases if performed carefully with a small spatula, the whole thing will pop out intact like a small white scallop or onion.

Suture it up and off you go.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.