German Shepherds Forum banner

Opinions Please! I think my 8 month old has a sebaceous cyst.

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  MichaelE 
#1 ·
I got my puppy out of her crate this morning and I noticed right away a marble size lump on her back paw! I shaved the area to get a better look to see if it was an injury. No puncture wounds that I could see from rough play with my other dogs and no insect bite either.
I immediately started researching on google. I think it may be a cyst. What do you think?
I called her vet and set up an appointment for Monday, but how should I care for it in the mean time.

I have soaked it in warm salt water and applied antibiotic cream but wanted to know if anyone else has some home remedies to keep my girl comfy.

Thanks for your help! Here is a picture of her paw!:help:

See less See more
#3 ·
A nice wet warm rag will help until the vet removes it. My old girl had one a couple months back. After vet removed we kept it clean and before long it was all healed up. No trace of it now.

I do believe the vet has to remove it though as it needs to be cut and squeezed or cleaned out. My vet used local anesthesia and cut it off. But maybe some vet techs here have other ways to take care of it?

#4 ·
I used tumeric powder when Kacie developed a couple cysts. I had one of them biopsied to make sure that is what they were.
The tumeric may(or may not) have helped to reabsorb them. She hasn't had any pop up in a few years.
I wouldn't really want them removed unless they are causing distress/depending on the location.

#5 ·
not sure it looks sebacous to me, may be an abscess, stepped on something/thorn/infection,,yes best to go the vet.

#7 ·
My older one has one in a similar spot, but it's right on top of one of her toes instead of on the side like yours. Not quite as big as yours, but looks very similar in appearance.

I worry about stuff like cancer, so I brought her to the vet a couple weeks ago and she advised me to just keep an eye on it. No biopsy and didn't recommend removing it since it's not bothering her. Just to keep an eye on it. If it starts growing, she said to bring her back in to run tests. Other than that, she didn't seem to worried about it.

#8 ·
A sebaceous cyst rarely causes any discomfort, at least in humans. If the capsule remains intact there should be no pain, redness, or swelling, other than it growing larger. Not due to inflammation.

If they decide to remove it, the general procedure is to anesthetize with a field block, make a half-moon shaped cut without rupturing the capsule, and using a scalpel to carefully cut out the capsule from the surrounding tissue. In many cases if performed carefully with a small spatula, the whole thing will pop out intact like a small white scallop or onion.

Suture it up and off you go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.