Looking for some advice ( pancreatitis) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2014, 11:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Looking for some advice ( pancreatitis)

my poor cleo has had pancreatitis for a while now. she had her system flushed and I was to put her on a bland diet

at 1st it was a 1/2 cup of rice for 3 days
then a full cup of rice for 3 days
then 1/4 kibble and a cup of rice

and that's what I have been feeding her. she stopped wanting to eat the rice and started eating the other dogs food so I added veggie broth to it. and then started boiling chicken boned or breast in it. a couple days ago my mom accidently boiled it with cream of chicken. and her poop started turning a little yellow again. she is still hungry but has been licking her paws a lot and her bed covers (signs of discomfort) we took her off her pain meds for her hip dysplasia (doctors orders) and her doggy Xanax. today her stool was a little runny. I have been pumping her full of water and she hasn't ate but maybe a 1/4 cup of rice. nothing added ( she was begging I felt so bad) but I was wondering has anyone else went threw this? any advice I would like to avoid a vet trip. I am currently in a small town for a while and its like a 2 hr drive to get to the vet. I am really worried about her.
Lady_Duzell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 01:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

if the vet advised this diet, then stick to it and stop adding anything non vet approved.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 02:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

My senior beagle has had pancreatitis a few times. Unfortunately, it's something that can come back. It's very important to follow your vet's instructions. The pancreas needs to rest, so no fatty foods. The only different instructions that we had, was we gave her a little Pedialyte (plain, no flavor) in her water. It's supposed to help replace electrolytes lost during diarrhea and vomiting. When she has had pancreatitis, her diet is strict for a couple weeks, no treats.

Good luck!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
KorrasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

and the vets did not recommend any sort of digestive enzymes ?

Prozyme even , anything to help the pancreas -
trouble with fats -- lipase -- one of the basic enzymes, lipase, cellulose, amylase, protease. There are formulas with much more comprehensive digestive enzymes.
Fats that are heat adulterated , such as bacon dripping, fat rind off bbq'd , charred meat -- pan dripping from roasts are very difficult to digest .

visit the vet - the plan you have with water and rice , the dog licking her paws and bedding , -- you need to see the vet !

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.