Itchy snout and fur loss - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Itchy snout and fur loss

My 14 month old GSD sometimes rubs his face with his paws or on surfaces around the house. I'm not entirely sure when he started doing it, but recently I noticed some fur loss. It crept up really gradually and is almost impossible to see except in direct light at the specific angle in the photo I attached. The thin area extends over his snout and looks the same on the other side of his face. I've also attached a photo of his eye area. I'm not sure if there's anything going on here; my other GSD is all-black and doesn't make a very good reference, but it looks like there might be some loss around his eyes and on his eyebrow. When he rubs his face, it's pretty much all over the muzzle area, including the bottom.

I'm not satisfied with his current vet, so I'm searching for a new one right now and will make an appointment soon. I would certainly appreciate any thoughts from other forum members. Dermdectic mange seems to be mentioned most frequently when snout fur loss comes up. The other common causes are allergies and sometimes diet-related nutrition issues. He is fed a raw diet with some occasional kibble (orijen). He's intact and has no other health issues I'm aware of. I haven't noticed scratching or fur loss anywhere other than his face.

Bob_McBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

*bump*
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 06:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am having the same issue with Jonas right now. I am interested to see the answers on this. I am changing Jonas's food to see if it is the problem.

Last edited by Loneforce; 01-13-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Loneforce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

That's really weird. My 16 month old Is having the same issue. Scratches him nose 2 - 3 times a day but haven't noticed any fur loss yet.Taking him to vet this weekend.
lennyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Ask the vet to do a skin scraping for Demodectic mites.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Could winter and the furnace running have anything to do with it?
Loneforce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 11:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

It could be Mange or Yeast:

Here are a few natural ways to treat them without chemicals.

If it does turn out to be mange (Demodectic/mites), a combination of Lavender oil mixed with a carrier oil such as Sweet Almond Oil or Rose Hip Seed Oil can be used topically for mange treatment. 1 part Lavender Essential Oil to 10 parts carrier oil. Lavender Oil, Pure Wildcrafted Essential Oil and Aromatherapy Carrier Oils, Cold Pressed and Organic or Aromatherapy Carrier Oils, Cold Pressed and Organic Apply to affected areas twice daily or alternate with lemon juice. This helps to kill the mites without any chemicals that could pull down the immune system. Colloidal Silver can also be used.

Yeast: If it is yeast, the immune system is not working at 100% and since 70% of disease starts in the gut, itís a good idea to support it with a digestive enzyme and probiotic. These contain both: Sunday Sundae: Sunday Sundae Nutritional Supplement or Digest All Plus: The Wholistic Pet

This anti fungal and anti viral herbal can help both mange and yeast: Glacier Peak Gold(TM) ~ Natural Anti-Fungal~Anti-Viral~ 1 oz A unique blend of antibiotic/anti-viral/anti-fungal herbs that can be used for bacterial infections, as well as internal parasites such as mites that cause mange. Also works well to balance candida albicans yeast overgrowth. Ingredients: Olive Leaf, Mustard Seed, Black Seed, Pau D'Arco, Cloves, Astragalus, Lobelia, Slippery Elm

Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 11:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Ask the vet to do a skin scraping for Demodectic mites.
This
Baillif is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 06:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

My gsd Juno, 2 yr old spayed, has exactly the same and I've been looking for a solution for a couple of months. Her hair loss is slightly more than in Bob McBobs photo and is also close to her mouth and even on top and bottom lips, skin is red. Eyebrow area also scabbed from scratching. Hard to see the full extent except in direct sunlight. Vet gave her antibiotics as he thought the skin was slightly infected. Juno is raw fed since 12th October and both vets we have seen are inclined to blame the raw feed, allergic to raw meat, not getting vital supplements that exist in regular commercial feed, etc. Her eyes were very red and gunky until the antibiotics. Just this week I was given the name of a holistic remedies person who I am m going to send hair sample to in the hope they can find the cause.
junos mum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 06:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

My gsd Juno, 2 yr old spayed, has exactly the same and I've been looking for a solution for a couple of months. Her hair loss is slightly more than in Bob McBobs photo and is also close to her mouth and even on top and bottom lips, skin is red. Eyebrow area also scabbed from scratching. Hard to see the full extent except in direct sunlight. Vet gave her antibiotics as he thought the skin was slightly infected. Juno is raw fed since 12th October and both vets we have seen are inclined to blame the raw feed, allergic to raw meat, not getting vital supplements that exist in regular commercial feed, etc. Her eyes were very red and gunky until the antibiotics. Just this week I was given the name of a holistic remedies person who I am m going to send hair sample to in the hope they can find the cause.
junos mum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.