German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   How can I tell the difference b/w muscle strain/pull vs. hip/joint problems? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/395146-how-can-i-tell-difference-b-w-muscle-strain-pull-vs-hip-joint-problems.html)

puffswami 01-12-2014 08:28 PM

How can I tell the difference b/w muscle strain/pull vs. hip/joint problems?

Dear Forum,

My 9 y.o. GSD seems to have some issues where he yelps when getting up. I think he may have suffered some injury to his left hind leg while chasing his ball the other day. I usually go to big empty parking lot and throw his ball so he really can wear himself out.

Now, a couple of days later, he seems listless. I have given him some buffered aspirin (325mg 2x per day) today but something is wrong. I have an appointment tentatively scheduled for next week. So far:

1. He doesn't put full weight on the left rear-leg. However, he doesn't shift his leg to the a sideways position indicative of an ACL tear.

2. Appetite is fine.

3. I can move his leg well without yelping however when I squeeze his thigh muscle by his body he yelps.

4. I tried the ACL joint drawer test and feel no movement whatsoever, which is good.

He is normally a very vivacious dog, what is worrisome though is that now he has a far-away look in his eyes. How can I tell the difference between hip vs. muscle strain?

I have looked on many many sites and am having a hard time differentiating between the two. A really good site I found that I can share that gives straightforward advice on pets: ACC

Any advice specific to GSDs would be very much appreciated.

Best.

doggiedad 01-12-2014 08:32 PM

go to the Vet or E-Vet asap.

Packen 01-12-2014 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedad (Post 4822914)
go to the Vet or E-Vet asap.

Agree with doggiedad on this one. You need an exam and x-rays to start with. Best to diagnose properly and not guess.

trcy 01-12-2014 08:53 PM

an x-ray will tell whats wrong.

puffswami 01-12-2014 09:12 PM

Thank you for your kind advice. In the past I have rushed to the veterinarian too quickly and basically told nothing is wrong so I am kind of hesitant to do it again and again.

Here is good video that I used to evaluate my GSD. Same exact diagnosis, no yelping until up by his hip muscle. One thing I know for sure is ABSOLUTELY no more hard-fetching on pavement. Kal loves it but no more.

BowWowMeow 01-12-2014 09:17 PM

I wouldn't go to the e-vet but I would make an appointment for tomorrow to see the vet. If you have been resting him and he is still in pain and "listless" then you've definitely got a problem.

trcy 01-12-2014 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puffswami (Post 4823226)
Here is good video that I used to evaluate my GSD. Same exact diagnosis, no yelping until up by his hip muscle. One thing I know for sure is ABSOLUTELY no more hard-fetching on pavement. Kal loves it but no more.

My dog totally blew out his right ACL. Other than the slight yelp when it happened he had exams from three different vets and never yelped or looked to be in discomfort.

If they can't tell whats wrong by the exam or need more info they will do x-rays and they usually give anti-inflammatory meds.

I spent much of 2013 at my vet and various specialty vets. I'm hoping for a calmer 2014.

Jax08 01-12-2014 09:32 PM

YOU have no business doing a drawer test. You have no idea what you are feeling for and can do more harm than good.

It could be an ACL, coudl be a pulled groin muscle, could be bad hips. Could be many things.

Keep him on crate rest and call the vet tomorrow.

Colie CVT 01-12-2014 09:32 PM

I'm with BowWow. Strict exercise restriction (no running, jumping, playing, keep confined inside, leash walks only outside to eliminate), get an appointment with your vet to be seen. The listlessness along with aspirin makes me concerned. Not to mention that dose. There's much better anti-inflammatories out there. We use aspirin when dealing with IMHA dogs, not when dealing with pain. And it irks me that that guy literally has a dose for a medication listed on his site. -.-

If you wait a few days and he still is painful, then going in isn't rushing into it. Plus the better medications for pain thing. I may be more of the worry wort kind myself with my dogs (I also work for a slew of vets so it makes it easy for any pet to be checked of mine) but often it's much better safe than sorry. Could even be a little of both issues, especially if you've never really had the hips checked out. At 9, no matter how good your bone structure was to start, you likely have arthritis going on. Wear and tear is always wear and tear.

GatorBytes 01-12-2014 09:36 PM

Go get Traumeel homeopathic (in drops), dose 10 drops inside pocket of his mouth, do this every hr. at least 4 or 5x. (away from food and water)...then dose before bed and again 4x next day (spaced out, example...am before walk or 1/2 after food, then again few hrs later, evening then bed.)...try this up until vet app. If it's going to work it will, and if it doesn't no harm done