German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Puppy diabetes. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/395098-puppy-diabetes.html)

Poofyena 01-12-2014 06:47 PM

Puppy diabetes.

Hi I'm new, excuse me for being rude and not introducing myself but I've a question quickly.

A little while ago my husband and I rescued a German shepherd puppy. He's a gorgeous little ball of fluff and was about 4 weeks old when we found him. After vets visits and a few touch and go nights (he was bones with fur) he started gaining weight and became a happy loving puppy. He's now 12 weeks old and the last couple of weeks he's been drinking non stop and peeing all the time. He was crying all day and night and swinging between eating non stop and going totally off his food. I noticed last week his breath smelled funny, I guess I noticed before but paid no attention. He also started loosing fur from around his eyes.
Long story short it looks like he may have diabetes, the vets have warned us to expect the worst from tests.
Anyone here have any advice or other ideas? He's so young I have no idea what his life expectancy will be if he is sick and I'm terrified.

Thank you.

Mary Beth 01-12-2014 10:11 PM

I would take it one step at a time. First, get the test results. If it is diabetes, that can be managed with diet and insulin just like for people. If it is something else, find out the best treatment options for your pup. In the meantime, try not to let your pup sense your fear and try to picture a positive outcome to counteract the fearful thoughts.

LifeofRiley 01-12-2014 10:42 PM

I don't have any experience with diabetes to share, but I wanted to let you know that I hope everything turns out to be okay for your pup.

Definitely update this thread (or start a new one) after you get back the test results! There are a lot of people on this forum and I am sure there are some who have raised diabetic dogs. Hopefully, they will chime in with their experiences if the tests confirm the vets' suspicions.

Wishing you and your pup all the best!

MiaMoo 01-12-2014 11:17 PM

Our family dog growing up had diabetes and she lived a long, happy life. My parents had to give her daily insulin shots, but it was very quick and easy for both them and my dog.

huntergreen 01-13-2014 01:50 AM

welcome! sorry your first post is about your sick pup. i agree with what was already said, lets take this one step at a time,get the lab results and take it from there.

Chip18 01-13-2014 02:01 AM

Keep us informed and I'm a type two diabetic myself and it can be managed. Hope for a good outcome in any case. :)

Poofyena 01-13-2014 05:39 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I'll keep everyone updated. In the meantime while I wait for tests I've put him on an all natural food in case it's allergy related. That's was a vet suggestion in case he just has an irritable tummy.