Partial Spay - Ovaries Left Intact - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Partial Spay - Ovaries Left Intact

Considering I have only put a deposit down on a pup and don't even own one yet, this is premature. Over population is a huge concern with pets, but health should not be considered less important than population. I tend to believe that any time man messes with nature we do as much harm as good. A conventional spay removes the ovaries and uterus. Hormones are a necessity in my opinion. There is a procedure which removes the uterus only, but more care and time must be spent to remove the uterus properly if the ovaries are left intact. It is a hysterectomy versus ovariohysterectomy.This partial spay really makes sense to me. Has anyone had it done to their female? Is it hard to find a vet to do this? I am in Houston. Comments welcome.
whitebassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm kind of wondering the same thing for a male. A vasectomy versus a neuter. Following this post.

*-*Summer*-*
SummerGSDLover is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerGSDLover View Post
I'm kind of wondering the same thing for a male. A vasectomy versus a neuter. Following this post.

*-*Summer*-*
This link
Parsemus Foundation Ovary-Sparing Spay
only deals with females, but I can definitely understand your point. Same reasoning, different gender.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebassfisher View Post
This link
Parsemus Foundation Ovary-Sparing Spay
only deals with females, but I can definitely understand your point. Same reasoning, different gender.
Thank you for posting offices that do the partial....may have to be a trip for Millie in the future

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mcdanfam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

When I had lady spayed, the option was to take the ovaries, and leave the uterus. She explained the few complications that dogs could have leaving the uterus, but felt like she was a good candidate. So that's what I did. There are obviously a number of options out there....

ladyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyb View Post
When I had lady spayed, the option was to take the ovaries, and leave the uterus. She explained the few complications that dogs could have leaving the uterus, but felt like she was a good candidate. So that's what I did. There are obviously a number of options out there....
That option is the opposite of my inquiry though. I understand the option you mentioned is very popular in Europe.

I want the ovaries left for hormone production.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I understand that removing the uterus and leaving the ovaries intact is practiced widely in Europe, but it's nearly unheard of in the US--I don't know anyone who has had it done, but I used to work with a vet that has done it. I am sure you could find a vet that would be willing, but realize that the bitch will still come into heat twice a year, will still attract males, and probably allow them to mate with her. She won't get pregnant of course, but it's something to keep in mind if you want to avoid problems with other dogs, STDs, etc.

The vet I talked to said that in the cases where he performed an ovary-sparing hysterectomy, the owners came back later and asked for the ovaries to be removed, as they decided they didn't want to deal with heat cycles.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 05:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
I understand that removing the uterus and leaving the ovaries intact is practiced widely in Europe, but it's nearly unheard of in the US--I don't know anyone who has had it done, but I used to work with a vet that has done it. I am sure you could find a vet that would be willing, but realize that the bitch will still come into heat twice a year, will still attract males, and probably allow them to mate with her. She won't get pregnant of course, but it's something to keep in mind if you want to avoid problems with other dogs, STDs, etc.

The vet I talked to said that in the cases where he performed an ovary-sparing hysterectomy, the owners came back later and asked for the ovaries to be removed, as they decided they didn't want to deal with heat cycles.
Dogs have STDs?

*-*Summer*-*
SummerGSDLover is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 07:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

This may be a dumb question, and not totally related to the topic, but are there birth control pills for dogs? I don't understand why they have to be desexed all together. I am in possession of two intact females. One is a breed bitch (owned by someone else) that I am training and the other is a young female that may be a prospect for breeding in the future. However, neither needs to be bred any time soon. I also have an intact male that I keep separate from both females. I would be nice if I could put both females on birth control just incase an accident where to occur.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post

I don't mind the heat....she for health obviously needs the hormones. But do not want her to get pregnant. Since we have an intact male it would make my life easier....and allow her to keep the stuff she needs to grow and mature...:-)

mcdanfam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.