German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Partial Spay - Ovaries Left Intact (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/394970-partial-spay-ovaries-left-intact.html)

whitebassfisher 01-12-2014 02:07 PM

Partial Spay - Ovaries Left Intact

Considering I have only put a deposit down on a pup and don't even own one yet, this is premature. Over population is a huge concern with pets, but health should not be considered less important than population. I tend to believe that any time man messes with nature we do as much harm as good. A conventional spay removes the ovaries and uterus. Hormones are a necessity in my opinion. There is a procedure which removes the uterus only, but more care and time must be spent to remove the uterus properly if the ovaries are left intact. It is a hysterectomy versus ovariohysterectomy.This partial spay really makes sense to me. Has anyone had it done to their female? Is it hard to find a vet to do this? I am in Houston. Comments welcome.

SummerGSDLover 01-12-2014 03:13 PM

I'm kind of wondering the same thing for a male. A vasectomy versus a neuter. Following this post.

*-*Summer*-*

whitebassfisher 01-12-2014 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummerGSDLover (Post 4820994)
I'm kind of wondering the same thing for a male. A vasectomy versus a neuter. Following this post.

*-*Summer*-*

This link
Parsemus Foundation Ovary-Sparing Spay
only deals with females, but I can definitely understand your point. Same reasoning, different gender.

mcdanfam 01-12-2014 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitebassfisher (Post 4821266)
This link
Parsemus Foundation Ovary-Sparing Spay
only deals with females, but I can definitely understand your point. Same reasoning, different gender.

Thank you for posting offices that do the partial....may have to be a trip for Millie in the future :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

ladyb 01-12-2014 05:01 PM

When I had lady spayed, the option was to take the ovaries, and leave the uterus. She explained the few complications that dogs could have leaving the uterus, but felt like she was a good candidate. So that's what I did. There are obviously a number of options out there....

whitebassfisher 01-12-2014 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyb (Post 4821698)
When I had lady spayed, the option was to take the ovaries, and leave the uterus. She explained the few complications that dogs could have leaving the uterus, but felt like she was a good candidate. So that's what I did. There are obviously a number of options out there....

That option is the opposite of my inquiry though. I understand the option you mentioned is very popular in Europe.

I want the ovaries left for hormone production.

Freestep 01-12-2014 05:19 PM

I understand that removing the uterus and leaving the ovaries intact is practiced widely in Europe, but it's nearly unheard of in the US--I don't know anyone who has had it done, but I used to work with a vet that has done it. I am sure you could find a vet that would be willing, but realize that the bitch will still come into heat twice a year, will still attract males, and probably allow them to mate with her. She won't get pregnant of course, but it's something to keep in mind if you want to avoid problems with other dogs, STDs, etc.

The vet I talked to said that in the cases where he performed an ovary-sparing hysterectomy, the owners came back later and asked for the ovaries to be removed, as they decided they didn't want to deal with heat cycles.

SummerGSDLover 01-13-2014 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freestep (Post 4821858)
I understand that removing the uterus and leaving the ovaries intact is practiced widely in Europe, but it's nearly unheard of in the US--I don't know anyone who has had it done, but I used to work with a vet that has done it. I am sure you could find a vet that would be willing, but realize that the bitch will still come into heat twice a year, will still attract males, and probably allow them to mate with her. She won't get pregnant of course, but it's something to keep in mind if you want to avoid problems with other dogs, STDs, etc.

The vet I talked to said that in the cases where he performed an ovary-sparing hysterectomy, the owners came back later and asked for the ovaries to be removed, as they decided they didn't want to deal with heat cycles.

Dogs have STDs?

*-*Summer*-*

robk 01-13-2014 07:25 AM

This may be a dumb question, and not totally related to the topic, but are there birth control pills for dogs? I don't understand why they have to be desexed all together. I am in possession of two intact females. One is a breed bitch (owned by someone else) that I am training and the other is a young female that may be a prospect for breeding in the future. However, neither needs to be bred any time soon. I also have an intact male that I keep separate from both females. I would be nice if I could put both females on birth control just incase an accident where to occur.

mcdanfam 01-13-2014 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freestep (Post 4821858)

I don't mind the heat....she for health obviously needs the hormones. But do not want her to get pregnant. Since we have an intact male it would make my life easier....and allow her to keep the stuff she needs to grow and mature...:-)