Pup in the hospital - twisted gut or something else? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pup in the hospital - twisted gut or something else?

Haven't actually slept yet so sorry if this post is put together odd. Navarro threw up Friday afternoon for no reason, but that isn't unheard of for him. He pooped normal at the park that day. Finally got him to start eating and drinking again at 1 pm the next day. He was a bit lethargic but figured if he's eating he must be feeling a bit better. He ate a few cups of kibble, a few fish and some chicken. He didn't poop much all day just a tiny bit of watery stuff. At about 1 am...12 hours after he started eating he was showing a lot of discomfort and lethargy, and puked up everything he had eaten that day all at once...which tells me nothing left his stomach. Rushed to the 24 hour hospital. They did xrays which showed no obvious obstruction but a lot of gas trapped in intestines. Waiting for blood tests to come back. They don't think its a twisted gut but what else could it be if nothing has left his stomach? They won't do a barium test on him I have asked...feeling pretty lost.
GoSailGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

try to not worry although i know that's tough, it could even be a virus, it's normal for the GI tract to shut down when there's an irritant, it's nature's way of protecting the gut and intestines and thus the body.
saying prayers for your dog!!
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wishing Navarro well. I hope he is ok.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks. This waiting game is really hard and not seeing him when I'm with him all day every day is REALLY weird. I'm afraid I may have gotten slightly angry with the vet this morning when he said they were observing him. "OBSERVE!? No no! Don't just look at him fix him!"
Old 01-12-2014, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

From what it sounds like, they are likely wondering if his intestines are angry from some kind of thing he ate or if there is something potentially obstructing it. You can have just has in there, making odd patterns that means nothing. I was worried about my golden last month because he suddenly threw up everything he had eaten and was just very nauseous and drooling. He had a pattern of gas that worried me about obstruction, however they saw nothing wrong.

Mesenteric torsion, which I may be spelling wrong, is going to be really a very crazy gas pattern that involves most of the intestines and it will look like something has twisted them around. Basically the gut twists and causes the blood flow to stop, and it is extremely bad because you cannot live without the majority of your bowel. It would be an extreme x-ray to see. A friend lost her boxer to mesenteric torsion a few years ago.

The reason for putting a dog on fluids and repeating films later is to avoid unnecessary surgery. Nothing stinks more than to end up with a negative abdominal explore. :/ They can happen, and then you basically put your dog through an unnecessary surgical procedure.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Colie CVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hope he's Ok and try not to worry to much..yeah I know. It sounds like you were able to get him to his regular vet on a Friday so that's good!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I just went through closed to the same thing with my golden. It was gorture for me not to have him home, but it was for his own safety. They did do the barium test on him and he had X-rays done every six hours. There was something in the lining of the stomach but it was never determined what it was. He came home and was on a special diet for a few days and was fine after that. It was definitely odd.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wow sounds like it could be a whole heap of things. I will just have to be patient. As long as I don't look at any dogs...or his bed...or his toys...or anywhere he used to lay...or his fur on my cloths...I won't cry. *SIGH*
Old 01-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I hope he's ok! For the future, when your dog has an upset stomach it's best to fast for 24 hours (provide water, of course) and then feed a bland (easily digestible) diet for a few days or until the symptoms go away.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowWowMeow View Post
I hope he's ok! For the future, when your dog has an upset stomach it's best to fast for 24 hours (provide water, of course) and then feed a bland (easily digestible) diet for a few days or until the symptoms go away.
Thanks, he actually hadn't eaten for over 24 hours when I offered him kibble yesterday (sorry maybe I worded it wrong to make it seem like he had eaten sooner). He puked Friday around 12 and hadn't had anything since his breakfast at 8 am. Then I didn't get him to eat anything until 1 pm the next day. He is on a limited ingredient diet (no chicken or rice allowed) so I wasn't sure what other "bland" things I could give him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.