German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Pup in the hospital - twisted gut or something else? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/394906-pup-hospital-twisted-gut-something-else.html)

GoSailGo 01-12-2014 11:53 AM

Pup in the hospital - twisted gut or something else?

Haven't actually slept yet so sorry if this post is put together odd. Navarro threw up Friday afternoon for no reason, but that isn't unheard of for him. He pooped normal at the park that day. Finally got him to start eating and drinking again at 1 pm the next day. He was a bit lethargic but figured if he's eating he must be feeling a bit better. He ate a few cups of kibble, a few fish and some chicken. He didn't poop much all day just a tiny bit of watery stuff. At about 1 am...12 hours after he started eating he was showing a lot of discomfort and lethargy, and puked up everything he had eaten that day all at once...which tells me nothing left his stomach. Rushed to the 24 hour hospital. They did xrays which showed no obvious obstruction but a lot of gas trapped in intestines. Waiting for blood tests to come back. They don't think its a twisted gut but what else could it be if nothing has left his stomach? They won't do a barium test on him I have asked...feeling pretty lost.

my boy diesel 01-12-2014 11:57 AM

try to not worry although i know that's tough, it could even be a virus, it's normal for the GI tract to shut down when there's an irritant, it's nature's way of protecting the gut and intestines and thus the body.
saying prayers for your dog!!

Loneforce 01-12-2014 11:58 AM

Wishing Navarro well. I hope he is ok.

GoSailGo 01-12-2014 12:14 PM

Thanks. This waiting game is really hard and not seeing him when I'm with him all day every day is REALLY weird. I'm afraid I may have gotten slightly angry with the vet this morning when he said they were observing him. "OBSERVE!? No no! Don't just look at him fix him!" :(

Colie CVT 01-12-2014 01:22 PM

From what it sounds like, they are likely wondering if his intestines are angry from some kind of thing he ate or if there is something potentially obstructing it. You can have just has in there, making odd patterns that means nothing. I was worried about my golden last month because he suddenly threw up everything he had eaten and was just very nauseous and drooling. He had a pattern of gas that worried me about obstruction, however they saw nothing wrong.

Mesenteric torsion, which I may be spelling wrong, is going to be really a very crazy gas pattern that involves most of the intestines and it will look like something has twisted them around. Basically the gut twists and causes the blood flow to stop, and it is extremely bad because you cannot live without the majority of your bowel. It would be an extreme x-ray to see. A friend lost her boxer to mesenteric torsion a few years ago.

The reason for putting a dog on fluids and repeating films later is to avoid unnecessary surgery. Nothing stinks more than to end up with a negative abdominal explore. :/ They can happen, and then you basically put your dog through an unnecessary surgical procedure.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Chip18 01-12-2014 01:53 PM

Hope he's Ok and try not to worry to much..yeah I know.:) It sounds like you were able to get him to his regular vet on a Friday so that's good!

llombardo 01-12-2014 02:03 PM

I just went through closed to the same thing with my golden. It was gorture for me not to have him home, but it was for his own safety. They did do the barium test on him and he had X-rays done every six hours. There was something in the lining of the stomach but it was never determined what it was. He came home and was on a special diet for a few days and was fine after that. It was definitely odd.

GoSailGo 01-12-2014 04:08 PM

Wow sounds like it could be a whole heap of things. I will just have to be patient. As long as I don't look at any dogs...or his bed...or his toys...or anywhere he used to lay...or his fur on my cloths...I won't cry. *SIGH*

BowWowMeow 01-12-2014 05:14 PM

I hope he's ok! For the future, when your dog has an upset stomach it's best to fast for 24 hours (provide water, of course) and then feed a bland (easily digestible) diet for a few days or until the symptoms go away.

GoSailGo 01-12-2014 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowWowMeow (Post 4821810)
I hope he's ok! For the future, when your dog has an upset stomach it's best to fast for 24 hours (provide water, of course) and then feed a bland (easily digestible) diet for a few days or until the symptoms go away.

Thanks, he actually hadn't eaten for over 24 hours when I offered him kibble yesterday (sorry maybe I worded it wrong to make it seem like he had eaten sooner). He puked Friday around 12 and hadn't had anything since his breakfast at 8 am. Then I didn't get him to eat anything until 1 pm the next day. He is on a limited ingredient diet (no chicken or rice allowed) so I wasn't sure what other "bland" things I could give him.