Pancreatic Insufficiency - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
I would cut back the kibble and supplement with something to help him gain weight or change foods so it is higher calorie per cup....if his stool is normal, it is not highly likely that he has EPI....feed smaller meals, more frequently...

Lee
Any suggestions on what to supplement with? I don't want to do a raw diet even though I know all the benefits. His food is 368 kcal/cup, I don't know if that's a good calorie rate. He was going to go on athlete formula but with having a couch potato dog and Diamond Naturals adult in my area only being sold in 40lb bags we went with a normal adult formula. We were feeding 3 meals a day and went down to 2 times a day but I can go back up to 3 no problem, any more than that will be problematic as I'm not home or we'd be waking up to eat.

Oh thank you Heidi that's helpful!
Darth_Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Oh thank you Heidi that's helpful!
You're welcome! I hope he doesn't have EPI but if he does this group is a lifesaver.

Many members purchase their enzymes from Diane, it's much cheaper then buying them from the vet. http://www.enzymediane.com/

I pay $270 for a 12oz bottle of Viokase and it lasts us about 5 weeks or so (I buy them from our vet), getting them from Diane is much cheaper.

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidigsd View Post
You're welcome! I hope he doesn't have EPI but if he does this group is a lifesaver.

Many members purchase their enzymes from Diane, it's much cheaper then buying them from the vet. Enzyme Diane -

I pay $270 for a 12oz bottle of Viokase and it lasts us about 5 weeks or so (I buy them from our vet), getting them from Diane is much cheaper.
My heart just sank at that number. I can't afford that, this is so very very frustrating.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Ariel View Post
My heart just sank at that number. I can't afford that, this is so very very frustrating.
Don't get too upset yet, I hope Vader has something simple that you can get straightened out. Go over to the EPI group and introduce yourself, you can tell them Nikki's mom told you to sign up

I don't know how much it costs using Diane's enzymes since I don't use them but I am sure other members will be glad to give you an idea how much it costs them per month. Unfortunately we have lots of members with GSD's

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

cottage cheese is what I was thinking of.....if you can get regular not low fat it will be better....

it really does not sound like EPI.....anything's possible, but he is just growing and thin...my 26 month old is thin too....he got soft stools from holding it now and then, but I have no worries that he has EPI...I am starting to supplement him with some cottage cheese to up his calories

Lee

wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #16 (permalink)

Heidi-I probably totally did it wrong, hopefully they won't get annoyed at my lack of intro and straight into the heart of the problem. I normally follow the rules! Diane's looked semi-pricy as well. I'm beyond broke with the one problem after another so I'm really hoping they don't think so either.

Wolfstraum-I think he'll love that alternative since I had been giving him some to up his calcium when I was helping him with his ears. That makes me feel better a bit. Thank you.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

its better to do the blood work, that guess and feed enzymes, normal stool`s is not a symptom of EPI, but then again no 2 dogs are the same, your pup may be in the very early stages of EPI

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
ken k is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

As much as I'd like to, I cannot afford to just go get the test. If it was $60 no problem, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But $200 on top of a $60 visit, I cannot do right now. I just saved every single dollar from Christmas just for him to get neutered 2 days ago and when he was finished they suggested they were concerned he might have EPI.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I second what Lee has said. Your dog isn't fitting with EPI at the moment, is not sickly or struggling. Has had multiple surgeries and is still in recovery mode. I would monitor and supplement. If money is tight, order some Sundae Sunday, feed good food and monitor.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #20 (permalink)

My first dog had pancreatic deficiency and I was advised to feed him on a dog food called skinners was specially designed for pancreatic deficiency he lived a full life a d if kept him going no runs Nd great weight they also suggest raw like tripe it does help

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
sarah1366 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.