Parvo Safety - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Parvo Safety

I have a deposit down to get a pup from a breeder. It has been awhile since I had a pup. Just to help me make plans, at what age will my pup be safe and have the immunity built up from the shots needed to prevent her getting Parvo virous? I will check with Vet of course, but wanted an idea just for now.
whitebassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

two weeks after her final parvo shot, she should have sufficient immunity. My 4 mo old just got her last parvo shot yesterday. In two weeks she can be out and about more. (so about 18 to 20 weeks old)
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

She'll have had time to build up the necessary immunity after receiving her last set of vaccines.

I will say though that it's also important to balance protecting them from health concerns like parvo with protecting them emotionally and socially by ensuring their getting the necessary socialization. The rule of thumb is generally to wait until the second round of vaccines, but a puppy class from a reputable training facility can be great for your dog. Reputable facilities are going to require proof of vaccines or titers and in that case your pup will be gaining social skills while being protected by the fact that the dogs and people she's around are reputable pet owners that are following the same vaccine protocol as you.
mister_e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_e View Post
I will say though that it's also important to balance protecting them from health concerns like parvo with protecting them emotionally and socially by ensuring their getting the necessary socialization. The rule of thumb is generally to wait until the second round of vaccines, but a puppy class from a reputable training facility can be great for your dog. Reputable facilities are going to require proof of vaccines or titers and in that case your pup will be gaining social skills while being protected by the fact that the dogs and people she's around are reputable pet owners that are following the same vaccine protocol as you.
What you bring up is exactly why I started the thread. I want my pup around other dogs and people, but don't want her to get sick.
whitebassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ususally 15-16 weeks is when the final DHPP vaccine is given and they can walk on the ground in public places safely.

I put mine in a stroller or carry them through stores, parks, etc. from 7-8 weeks until their vaccines are done and take them with me everywhere possible - to visit friends/family with or without dogs that I know are friendly and vaccinated.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm having the same concerns. Our boy is 10 weeks old and got his 2nd parvo vaccination yesterday. We took him to my boyfriend's office (at a bank) where he was able to socialize with new people. I need to go get him some more toys and some training treats today. I would love to bring him with me but I am a parvo-freak and don't want him to get sick. I planned on bringing a blanket to line the inside of the shopping cart and keep him inside. Would that be okay? We would be going during non-busy hours on a weekday.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
― Will Rogers
madis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

What is the parvo vaccine? I don't remember getting that for my first pup
Old 01-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

As mentioned after the 2nd shot you can start going to 'safe' places. Lowe's and Home Depot are good places you can take them, walk them around and get interactions with strangers. Be sure and take a doggie bag. Stay way from Pet stores until all vacs have been completed.
GSDAlphaMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I wait until 2 weeks after the final parvo shot. My dogs are not seriously hampered by "missing" socialization for that period of time. They see people at my house, meet dogs that people bring over with them. There is plenty of time for them to meet the big wide world of dogs and people.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coulter View Post
What is the parvo vaccine? I don't remember getting that for my first pup
It's a vaccine... against parvo... the deadly, common, virus. Puppies typically get three parvo combo vaccines three weeks apart as pups.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.