German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   9 Week old Puppy W/ Parvo Day by day (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/393202-9-week-old-puppy-w-parvo-day-day.html)

Carter12 01-08-2014 02:13 PM

9 Week old Puppy W/ Parvo Day by day

I have always owned large breed dogs and have been very careful with them. However I recently purchased a new puppy (Carter) as a companion for my year old puppy (Caleb). I live in China and a lot of things get lost in translation. I have always understood the severity of Parvo and have been very cautious.

When I bought Carter I immediately took him to the vet for an all clear before taking him into the house with my baby Caleb. Vet tested with swaps and all came back negative. I request vaccinations and was told he had to be in my house for a week before he could receive vaccines.

10:00pm The day before first symptoms began, came home from work puppy was sleeping peacefully made my way into the bedroom to take puppies out for evening walk. We return home both dogs eat. Once we lay down I notice that Carter is not as active as he had been the previous two days with us. He goes to sleep on the floor next the bed.

Day 1 Tuesday Symptoms show
2am We go downstairs to take my oldest dog outside. When we return around 30 mins later I again notice that my normally active puppy is more cuddle bunny and sluggish than his **** on wheels self. About 3 am he vomits for the first time I clean the mess readjust him on the sheet on the floor thinking perhaps he at too much or the new dog food didn't agree with his stomach. 20 mins later he vomits yet again I once more clean the mess but begin to focus more intently on the puppy as does my older dog. 10 mins later he vomits again. During this time continues to stand and follow me around when I begin to clean his vomit and get mops and whatnot tail waging. We all go to sleep at about 4:15 around 5 I wake because I smell something not a strong odor but not a normal smell either. There is diarrhea on the floor from the puppy. I go to get the mop and bleach and Carter (puppy) sits by the stairs waiting. I know something is really wrong at this point. He had diarrhea two more times followed by a solid but mucus filled turd. At around 9:45 as I finished getting dressed the puppy showed a desire to eat and drink. By 10am we are sitting in the vet office (both dogs though they are separated) Swap test confirms Parvo. After the initial panic for my older dog Caleb who I was informed was not as vulnerable to the virus due to vaccinations and age. I refocused on Carter who while moving about not as active as normal in what I would say was a more lethargic manner. The vet drew blood to check his levels and he was immediately place on an IV cocktail that included:Metronidazole Sodium Chloride Inj. 0.2% 250ml, Synulox RTU inj. 10ml, and Amoxicillin Clavulanic Acid(175.0 mg) for Systemic Infection | Oral | 12.5 mg/kg * 4.60 Kg =57.50 mg. I decide to have the vet keep both dogs, Carter for treatment and Caleb so I could thoroughly bleach my house. Carters vitals: Heart Rate: 180, Respiratory Rate: 26, Temperature: 39.3 C, Capillary Refill Time [In Sec.]:less than 2 sec. His white blood cell count is high.

Carter12 01-08-2014 02:28 PM

Day 1

Called vet around 9 pm and was told that Carter was howling and whining but had not had any further vomiting or diarrhea and was drinking on his own. Caleb however did not show any desire to eat.

blackshep 01-08-2014 02:38 PM

Best of luck to you and your pup, I hope he rallies. Parvo is one nasty bug that I hope I will never have to deal with. Good for you for catching it so quickly that can be the difference between life and death.

Carter12 01-08-2014 03:12 PM

Day 2

Day 2 Wednesday
Bleached all surfaces, toys and clothing/sheets as well as crates. Went to the Vet to get Caleb (older dog) and check on Carter (10:15am) I could hear him clearly even though he was two floors above me in the infirmary. Caleb had eaten breakfast after playing with his favorite nurse. Carter had still not vomited any further nor had he had diarrhea. The vet assured me that was a good thing even though he was not out of the woods yet. He told me better that he was urinating than vomiting or diarrhea. He was also still drinking on his own. At 10:26am I saw him, he jumped on the glass and began to scratch while whining. They told me he had been at that all night and that it would be better if he were calm so his body could focus more on healing than adding more stress. I took Caleb (older dog) home. At 11:30am I returned to the vet office with a shirt that I had worn often, I then showed them how to stuff the shirt with paper to make a makeshift pillow. Carter immediately calmed down and was quite. Carters vitals:
Temperature: 38.2 C, Heart Rate: 104, Respiratory Rate: 60
Capillary Refill Time [In Sec.]:less than 2 sec. White blood cell count was high, he is alert and very active spinning in circles and sitting up.

At 9:45pm I return to the vet clinic. Instantly I notice a huge change. Carter is not active at all. I hold him wearing a white shirt thus easily bleached. He can not seem to hold his head up at all. He seems very weak but alert he is able to track me with his eyes. Carter seems utterly exhausted. They tell me that they have fed him twice 20ml over 4 hours, he hadn't had a bowel movement nor had he vomited. Carter stood and moved about his cage and I noticed swelling in the paw with IV in it. I asked was that normal they told me that perhaps before he calmed down he may have dislodged the needle from the vein so they would switch the IV to the other leg. His temp hasn't increased and all of his vitals are holding steady. They will do a blood draw in the morning. He will be given another 20ml of wet soft food at 12am. He went back to sleep head on my shirt before could I leave the room. Carter seems to develop his symptoms at night so if he can make through I will be more optimistic. It is a very scary sight! IV is pump operated and on a continuous drip

LifeofRiley 01-08-2014 09:49 PM

Hi Carter12,

I just want to say that I think that your detailed day-by-day posts (including treatment protocols and vitals) will be very helpful to people who visit (or search) this forum looking for information about parvo in the future.

Thank you for that!

I hope your sweet pup pulls through! Sending well wishes your way.

vom Eisenherz 01-08-2014 10:26 PM

I've never fed my parvo pups until the first 48-72 hours is past and they show interest in eating on their own. If they're that down and out (and they can be nearly comatose and still pull through), I just keep in mind that they can go weeks without food, but need electrolytes and hydration. I give them sub-q fluids several times per day, hourly enemas with a special tea I made, and plenty of electrolytes via Pedialyte, but their guts are going through an awful lot and I don't think digesting food helps. The body needs to fast to heal. Their intestines are shedding...food isn't what they need. They need rest and fluids and meds to prevent secondary infection.

I use Parvaid and make tea with it also, and between the enemas and sub-q fluids, I haven't lost one yet (knock on wood). I hope I never have to do it again, but I pulled 3 through with no crazy vet bills.

When they're better, I start with little bits of cooked liver and white rice, canned chicken and white rice, progressing to ground beef and rice and a probiotics until they're back on track.

Best of luck to your little pup. Visit him often! Depression and confusion at being in the hospital will not help, so the more time you can spend with him, the better. I cuddled mine a lot. It seemed to help. My vet hates to hospitalize parvo pups; he firmly believes if the owner is at all medically-savvy, the pups are better off at home under their owner's care and following his instructions than in an unfamiliar place.

Saphire 01-08-2014 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vom Eisenherz (Post 4798410)
I've never fed my parvo pups until the first 48-72 hours is past and they show interest in eating on their own. If they're that down and out (and they can be nearly comatose and still pull through), I just keep in mind that they can go weeks without food, but need electrolytes and hydration. I give them sub-q fluids several times per day, hourly enemas with a special tea I made, and plenty of electrolytes via Pedialyte, but their guts are going through an awful lot and I don't think digesting food helps. The body needs to fast to heal. Their intestines are shedding...food isn't what they need. They need rest and fluids and meds to prevent secondary infection.

I use Parvaid and make tea with it also, and between the enemas and sub-q fluids, I haven't lost one yet (knock on wood). I hope I never have to do it again, but I pulled 3 through with no crazy vet bills.

When they're better, I start with little bits of cooked liver and white rice, canned chicken and white rice, progressing to ground beef and rice and a probiotics until they're back on track.

Best of luck to your little pup. Visit him often! Depression and confusion at being in the hospital will not help, so the more time you can spend with him, the better. I cuddled mine a lot. It seemed to help. My vet hates to hospitalize parvo pups; he firmly believes if the owner is at all medically-savvy, the pups are better off at home under their owner's care and following his instructions than in an unfamiliar place.

Is this something you run into alot with your puppies?

vom Eisenherz 01-08-2014 11:36 PM

No, as stated, I hope I never have to do it again, but I pulled 3 through with no crazy vet bills.

Saphire 01-08-2014 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vom Eisenherz (Post 4798410)
I've never fed my parvo pups until the first 48-72 hours is past and they show interest in eating on their own. .

Phew....it was the above that made it sound like a regular occurrence.

huntergreen 01-08-2014 11:59 PM

i hope i never have to deal with parvo.