German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Shepherd being neglected? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/392658-shepherd-being-neglected.html)

Xyst Sin 01-07-2014 12:52 PM

Shepherd being neglected?

5 Attachment(s)
So I live temporarily with my boyfriend in his families house. Here we have his mom, brother, grandmother and grandfather. His grandmother has a GSD named Inka, who is a half-aunt to my puppy GSD. My puppies dad, is Inka's half brother. When I first met Inka, I loved her. Until I asked how old she was. This is is four years old, and she looks like shes ten!! When I got to know more about her, I was told in her "prime" (about a year ago...) she knew and responded to over 70 commands (English and German). The dog now has what looks like black skin disease on parts of her, hot spots, rough and ugly looking fur, VERY dirty ears, and nails so long that I don't know how she walks. She is kept in the house ALL DAY except to go out twice to pee. She's fed kibbles and bits and given no attention. Infact, she is usually sent away from her owner because she "smells" or has "crusties" because her skin is so dry. Can all of her issues be from physical and emotional neglect?

The first three pictures are from when they first brought her home a little over a year ago. The last two are of her now, the very last one being her laying next to my puppy.

Springbrz 01-07-2014 01:33 PM

I certainly believe all of those issues are from physical and emotional neglect. Is it possible now that you are living with this dog you might be able to correct some of these things. Take her to the vet/groomer. Get her nails trimmed. Maybe switch her food to a better quality (let her eat the same food you feed your pup). Take on walks and training sessions with you?

Shade 01-07-2014 01:46 PM

I certainly think she needs some TLC.

Have you asked your boyfriend? As it's his family he should be able to give you more information about what exactly is going on and how his family would react to you wanting to help. I would be careful not to overstep boundaries as you are living in their house but if they would not be offended I would start small with something like grooming.

Tell them you're doing a spa day for your dog, whether it be at home or professionally done. If you're doing it at home simply buy a good quality shampoo and trim back the nails, if you trim a little bit off twice a week they should hopefully receed at a decent rate.

Start letting her out for potty breaks with your dog so she gets out more, offer to take her along for walks if they'll allow it. Even just little training sessions to help keep her mind active I'm sure she would enjoy. The food thing I would approach slowly, maybe highlight why you chose the food you're feeding your pup and see if they show any interest in switching her to a better quality. Even a cheaper alternative like Kirkland is healthier then a lot of the cheaper brands, or see if they'll switch to Purina One or the like which is still very cheap but better then Kibble and Bits

I'm sure she'd thrive under the attention and care and hopefully seeing how much happier and healthier the dog becomes will encourage them to step it up and work with her more.

Freddy 01-07-2014 02:09 PM

I had a similar decline in health with my female. Old vet treated with antibiotics and gave me some mange shampoo, neither of which worked. Several allergy panels as well. After over $1000 spent to try and figure it out I switched vets to a guy that sees a lot of GSDs and Mals from some local PDs. He diagnosed it in about 10 seconds telling me she had a yeast infection and all the meds were doing was feeding it. Two shots of ivermectin two weeks apart, and some thyroid meds later she is a new dog. Coat's come back, all kinds of energy, looks great. She is also interacting with us and asking for attention sometimes even wriggling past my pushy male. Really a shocking difference.

misslesleedavis1 01-07-2014 02:12 PM

I think you should talk to her owners about "how you really like the dog and would love it if she could be involved in activities". That way you dont come across as anything but interested in involving her. Get her nails done, give her a bath and some lovins. If the owner is pushing her away i doubt he or she will mind you spending time with her.

JakodaCD OA 01-07-2014 02:46 PM

she looks very sad:( I'm sad for her.

Since your living there, how about jumping in , offer to give her a bath, take her for a walk, take her to the groomers??

Xyst Sin 01-08-2014 10:12 AM

@Springbrz
Unfortunately I have 3 dogs of my own to pay for and am in between jobs so no money to help her at this time. I've been giving her baths and brushing her when her owner is not home, as when she is I'm not even supposed to touch the dog. All three of my dogs are on a balanced raw diet too. :/ So no kibble that can be switched. I've given her a treat or two when no one was looking but sadly its all I can do since the owner is my bf's grandmother and she doesn't work so is home usually all day.

@Shade
Since I've moved in I've done my best to spend more time with her. She's more alert and even plays sometimes in the back yard. Her owner came outside one time and exclaimed, "Wow! I've never seen her run before!" ... she's a 4 year old shepherd who doesn't play or run because no one will spend the time with her.

@Freddy
Any home stuff I could try for yeast issues? Haven't had her to the vet to find out for sure but I've been doing research and see a lot of things pointing in that direction. I'm the only one who really spends time with her or pets her so she's actually been following me around the house lately as if she's rebonding with me. Which unfortunately has just pissed off the grandmother and made her tell me to leave her alone.

I'm not allowed to take her for walks anymore. Was before, and used to take her out to walmart a few times but the owner has decided that "She doesn't feel up to going anymore", so I'm SOL there. It just breaks my heart to see this happening. I've seen dogs 10 years old acting younger than her. She looks like she's on her way out and she's only 4. She has a lot of life left if she was being cared for properly. I have to keep my mouth shut right now because this is the only place I have to live with my dogs, but as soon as I'm out I've already cleared it with my bf to tell this woman what SHE HERSELF has done to this dog. She thinks everything going on with her is just "normal".

lhczth 01-08-2014 10:32 AM

If she was my dog I would have a full thyroid panel run and vet check by a good vet.

Jax08 01-08-2014 11:31 AM

Sounds like crap food, no grooming and no attention. If the owner keeps pushing her away...offer to rehome her.

Freddy 01-08-2014 11:37 AM

I agree. It might not be the whole problem but I'd bet it's a major component. I'm not sure how to treat the yeast at home but since it was a whole body issue with my girl we used the ivermectin which wasn't very expensive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhczth (Post 4795098)
If she was my dog I would have a full thyroid panel run and vet check by a good vet.