Just the cold? Weird behavior outside. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Just the cold? Weird behavior outside.

This one has me stumped. Baxter loves playing out in the snow, and would do so for hours if I stayed out throwing his wubba. Obviously, we don't stay out THAT long, because I start to freeze...

We're getting some crazy cold weather here in Ohio, like much of the rest of the country. Temps have been 0 to -10, but the "feels like" temp keeps hovering around -25. Baxter hasn't experienced cold like this before, and we've only been going outside long enough for him to pee/poo. That said, he only seems to be able to do one. After that, his back legs almost seem to get incredibly stiff, and he just curls up and lays down on the ground. He's completely fine once we're back in the house.

Do you think this is JUST the cold weather, and maybe his paws are just too cold? Or something more concerning? I'm only out with him for maybe 5 minutes before he starts doing this, probably much less than that - it just FEELS like forever given the current weather.

Temps will start to go back up in a few days, so I'm sure I'll be able to tell then, but I worry about my boy, so I thought I'd check in with all of you before getting him checked by a vet. If he were doing it more often, or not recovering and bouncing back to his normal self once inside, we'd have already been over to see the vet.

Baxter - aka "Basher" GSD 9/27/10
Boomer & Star - Kittens of Doom
evybear15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It's the weather. Mine go out pee, come in, warm up, go back out to poop. I've been just waiting for them to ask, then they run out and run back in. I also take a towel and rub their legs and feet.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That's kind of what I was figuring, but you can never really be too safe...

I go out with him, but instead of simply walking back to the door like he typically does, he seems to opt for the stiffening up/laying down route.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evybear15 View Post
This one has me stumped. Baxter loves playing out in the snow, and would do so for hours if I stayed out throwing his wubba. Obviously, we don't stay out THAT long, because I start to freeze...

We're getting some crazy cold weather here in Ohio, like much of the rest of the country. Temps have been 0 to -10, but the "feels like" temp keeps hovering around -25. Baxter hasn't experienced cold like this before, and we've only been going outside long enough for him to pee/poo. That said, he only seems to be able to do one. After that, his back legs almost seem to get incredibly stiff, and he just curls up and lays down on the ground. He's completely fine once we're back in the house.

Do you think this is JUST the cold weather, and maybe his paws are just too cold? Or something more concerning? I'm only out with him for maybe 5 minutes before he starts doing this, probably much less than that - it just FEELS like forever given the current weather.

Temps will start to go back up in a few days, so I'm sure I'll be able to tell then, but I worry about my boy, so I thought I'd check in with all of you before getting him checked by a vet. If he were doing it more often, or not recovering and bouncing back to his normal self once inside, we'd have already been over to see the vet.
I noticed some "strange" behavior from my shep as well this winter. She'll lay down outside and keep her paws off the subzero surfaces or at times lift a paw off the ground ( snow, ice, etc). I asked other folks in the neighborhood who have dogs and they seem to view this behavior as "normal" when it gets bitterly cold....we have had temps without windchill down to -25. I put some boots on my gal when we go out and it makes all the difference plus it helps keep the chemicals ( ice melt ) they put on the streets off her paws.

This is my pooch's first real winter and of course she loves the snow and cold but those subzero surfaces their pads are on has to be a shocker after any length of time.

Hopefully, you have nothing to worry about and all will return to normal when the temperatures do.

Acclimation to frigid temperatures is the way to go in climates where one can do this. In other regions, severe changes in temps can affect a dog in numerous fashions.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evybear15 View Post
That's kind of what I was figuring, but you can never really be too safe...

I go out with him, but instead of simply walking back to the door like he typically does, he seems to opt for the stiffening up/laying down route.
I had to run in the yard and pick up and carry my Samoyed mix back into the house...she couldn't move after about 30 seconds
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My dogs are limping when they come inside too, I think it is the pain they feel in their pads more than leg pain. Bitter cold that they aren't use to....once inside they are fine.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I feel better knowing that this seems to be the norm for those in frigid temps. I feel awful for the dogs, but not much to do aside from keeping them toasty warm and not letting them stay out too long, I suppose!

If we were going to be getting temps like this more regularly, I'd be looking into boots to protect his pads, but it looks like we're going back to balmy weather in the 30s after today or tomorrow. Then it'll be back to playtime and walks!

Old 01-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Temps got up to 11 degrees yesterday afternoon, and Baxter was 100% back to normal and was able to stay outside much longer than he had been able to that morning and the day before. Guess it was simply the cold! Thanks for the reassurance, everyone.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Glad to hera Baxter is back to normal. Lucky goes out and immediately lays down after peeing.This week he couldn't get up once so husband and I had to go out and lift his back end up then he was ok . I think its much colder then we've experienced in many years.

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Mine love it outside in the cold. I hate it and wear about 5 layers when I take them out, but they love it.

It's the extreme hot weather in August where I notice they don't want to be outside long. It's seems they've got a little extra oomph when it's freezing cold outside.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.