cold weather advice - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default cold weather advice

well here in the northeast it will be 20 below (frigid for new jersey).Now I know there are a lot of Canadians on this board, any advice??? when does it get too cold to walk your dog? I have a yard to put her out, but I would never leave her out there for extended periods of time. Or am I being ridiculous
lorihd@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

We are all in the same boat! Polar Vortex, lol

My dogs get out for several minutes of running/play and come limping in.
I try not to let them stay out too long in this, and they whine to go back out within a couple minutes of warm up. I'd watch out for ice/cut pads more than anything.

Mushers Secret is a good thing to have on hand in these extreme temps.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I hate this time of year. It really is disgusting around here now. The roads are going to be nothing but black ice everywhere for the next couple days.

I think if you're good to go for a walk, I'm sure they can go. Let her out in the backyard as long as you're there to let them back in. I wouldn't just leave her out there alone for hours without shelter.

I like to go out to empty baseball fields with a baseball bat and just hit balls around no matter what the temperature is. They're both usually huffing and puffing after 20 minutes of chasing around balls. It's good exercise where you don't have to be outside for hours in freezing temperatures.

Having one of these helps too.

Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

ok, thanks
lorihd@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Make sure when you take her for a walk; don't go anywhere where there is salt put down. It will burn her pads. "I am sure you knew this (just saying)" I am in same boat as you too. I got Jonas some booties, but I still will not let him out that long. Let her do her business, then back in for some mental exercise.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

8 degrees here right now with a windchill of negative something or another. (Can I tell you how much I hate winter?) My guys go out the dog door and within 5 minutes they are back in and laying on the couch
Old 01-06-2014, 11:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It's much colder here than usual but I moved here from WI so am used to frigid temps. Today Rafi and I were out for 2 hours. It was 5F with windchills of -12. I put Musher's Secret on his paws. We were off road (in a couple of inches of snow and ice) for all but 1/2 mile of the walk. He was absolutely fine.

I think it depends a lot on what they are used to. He and I go out every day and this has been a cold winter so he has a very thick coat and his pads are really tough.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 12:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

-20F is -29C. Okay, that is cold even for me. When it gets that cold, more frequent, shorter outside time. I won't put a leash on and go for a walk, we get more exercise in staying near the house and playing.

Cuz's and Ultraball stay flexible and bouncy, even when covered in frozen dog drool in -30 temps. I have a glow-in-the dark ball and we go out on the road (I live in a quiet rural area, hardly, rarely any traffic), and I do a few intense fetch sessions. Keeta is getting up there in age, at 9 years old - I notice she wants back in after a few minutes, and I let her in. Gryff can play like a maniac with no regards to the cold, but half an hour in that kind of cold is my limit.

So shorter, more frequent outings. Stay close to home and play hard. Fetch with a ball launcher, or a good, intense tug session will do a lot to expend pent up energy and keep both of you warm.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 12:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Doggie door. Let them freeze if they wanna. I know I'm not going to. I'm sitting 3 feet from my wood stove in boxers posting from a tablet. Cable has a bad habit of sticking just his head out the doggie door and looking around. Below zero right now, and that jet of cold air from that habit is intense.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It's -11 without windshield here. My dogs love to be outside but I refuse to let them out together because they start to play and within seconds they are down. I can't be carrying them in. My oldest dog went down after 30 seconds today, I had to run clear across the yard and pick her up and carry her in. My female GSD looked like she had a stroke today, her head was tilted and paw in the air, just a very alarming posture. The male golden froze in place and Midnite just lays down and looks at me really sad. They have permission to play in the house, I will not subject them to the cold any longer then necessary. It took me an hour to let them all out to pee/poop this morning. None of them were able to get both done in one shot.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.