German Shepherds Forum banner

Supplements for Elbow Dysplasia

9K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Msmaria 
#1 ·
I need some information on supplements for a young dog with elbow dysplasia and iffy hips. Very active young dog, not showing any symptoms.

The things I have read/heard/been recommended:

• Coconut Oil
  • Fish Oil (300 mg/10 lbs...as much as 1000 mg per 10 lbs of body weight.)
  • Vitamin E (100 IU to a small dog, 200 IU to a medium-sized dog, or 400 IU to a large dog)
  • Vitamin C (best to use one of the ascorbate forms, such as calcium ascorbate or sodium ascorbate, rather than ascorbic acid)
  • Vitamin B-50
  • Chondroitin/GlucosamineHyaluronic Acid (instead of glucosamine...2 to 20 mg per day for large dogs)
This needs to be as cost effective as possible. Is there something like Nupro Joint Support that sufficiently combines some of these things to be useful? I have also heard that horse versions of some of these things would be beneficial? I need dosages as well.

Any and all info would be most appreciated. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Yes, there is NuPro Silver with the glucosamine that would combine several of these ingredients. If you do it, start with 1/2 the dose listed and work up to prevent tummy upset.
For the horse version, there is Arthoflex . The similar version for dogs is K-9 Arthoflex. It is expensive but the dog only needs a small amount - my Sting is 130lbs and only needs 1 T.
For the fish oil, I use Nordic Naturals Omega 3 Pet soft gels.
Coconut oil - I give a one Tablespoon twice a day. I give that for the skin.

I give all of the above. The dosage is listed on the package. But I do it to supplement for his bones/joints, cost, overall health and not like your gsd where there is a diagnosis.

#4 ·
Nupro: “NUPRO is made with fresh quality health food ingredients that are human-grade, not animal-grade.” (that’s what makes this company noteworthy!)
Ingredients: GLUCOSAMINE COMPLEX (500 mg per scoop): is our own special formula that is an easily absorbed natural substance that stimulates the production of proteoglycans which help to maintain the health and resiliency of connective tissues and restores the damaged cells of cartilage tissue. Glucosamine complex helps promote the synovial fluid that lubricates the joints.
METHYLSULFONYLMETHANE (MSM) (300 mg per scoop): is a natural source of bioavailable sulfur, essential for the growth and repair of tendons, cartilage and other connective tissues. MSM is also an anti-inflammatory agent.
ESTER-C* CHELATED MINERAL BLEND (300 mg per scoop): boosts the absorption of the glucosamine complex and MSM and promotes collagen formation.
NUPRO Joint Support also contains Norwegian kelp, flaxseed, nutritional yeast culture (not the same as Brewer’s yeast, but should be used in moderation if yeast sensitive), desiccated liver, bee pollen, garlic, calcium citrate, lecithin and lactobacillus acidophilus.
NUPRO is made with fresh, premium ingredients that are human-grade quality. NUPRO does NOT contain any preservatives, sugar, fillers, corn, wheat, grains, or by-products.

Glyco-Flex Classic - 600mg: Contains: Perna Canaliculus (Green Lipped Mussel), Alfalfa, Brewers Yeast (A By-product of brewery’s and distilleries. Dogs can be sensitive to this which caused them to itch), Cellulose (Sawdust), Silicon dioxide, Steric Acid. Perna is GREAT for joints, unless the dog is sensitive to fish.

This is what I use for my guys: Green Lipid Mussel - Perna Canaliculus - source of amino acids, protein, naturally chelated minerals and glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) including chondroitin -4- and -6- sulfates "Mussel-Dog contains a one-of-a-kind blend of nutritious fatty acids that you simply can't find anywhere else in nature. In short, the Green Lipped Mussel is acclaimed for its ability to inhibit inflammation in the body. Naturally relieves joint discomfort and pain associated with arthritic type conditions, reduces acute and chronic inflammation helping to promote your dog's natural healing process, promotes great health while reducing inflammation associated with allergies and skin irritation, and promotes a shiny, beautiful and lustrous coat." patented extract PCSO-524® For the first 3 weeks, you start out with mega doses, then go down to 1 capsule 2 X daily. We take the human version and it has helped me with my knees! https://www.musseldoghealth.com/Mussel-Dog-Benefits.dtm#order

Here is another one:
K9 Level 5000 | Liquid Health? Pets - K9 Level 5000 also contains a comprehensive blend of natural, cutting-edge support ingredients to further enhance its effectiveness. These ingredients include Aquamin® Algae mineral blend, enzyme support from Bromelain, antioxidant support from grape seed extract, and Boswellia.
8 ounces = $24: Keep refrigerated

Under 10 lbs ½ teaspoon
10-24 lbs 1 teaspoon
25-49 lbs 1 teaspoon in AM + 1 teaspoon in PM
50-100 lbs 2 teaspoons in AM + 1 teaspoons PM
Over 100 lbs 2 teaspoons in AM + 2 teaspoons in PM

Active Ingredients per Fluid Ounce
Glucosamine Sulfate (shellfish) USP 2600 mg
Glucosamine Hcl (shellfish) USP 2600 mg
Chondroitin Sulfate USP 1000 mg
(beef and/or porcine, shark cartilage)
MSM (Opti-MSM® Brand) 1000 mg
Hyaluronic Acid (as Sodium Hyaluronate) 100 mg
Ascorbic Acid 200 mg
Joint PLUS (Proprietary Blend)
Aquamin® Red Algae mineral blend (Lithothamnion Calcareum), Bromelain, Boswellia Serreta, Grape Seed Extract

#6 ·
Thank you so much for the info Momto2GSDs! I have read a lot about that green lipid mussel as well. You are pleased with it? This is another one I am very interested in: HylaSport Canine

LaRen, I have not yet (we just got the film results back). But, I do have several offers of pools I can take him to and I'm looking into them for sure!

#8 ·
Several years ago when I emailed them about whether or not any of their ingredients came from China and were tested for QUALITY, they never answered (I sent the email 3 times). I can't say whether that is still true today.

Yes, very happy with the Mussel Dog!

Also ask about Adequin shots from your vet. There is a generic formula.

Moms:)

#7 · (Edited)
I'm a big fan of Natural Eggshell Membrane (NEM) and Biocell Collagen II (with Hyaluronic Acid), as well as fish oil (plus mixed-tocopherol Vitamin E), and Ester-C. (I ordered human-grade from Vitacost, when I had a very arthritic senior.)

This video is useful info about GAGs in joints--and NEM (but the supplement on the site is not what I bought):
Pet Joint Supplements | Healthy Joint Support - Mercola.com

I've also recently used Dasuquin on a foster dog with issues and it seemed to be very effective -- loading at a double-dose for a month, then stepping down to a maintenance dose. Vets seem to think highly of Dasuquin: http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/product...-bone-animal-health-products/what-is-dasuquin

I would suggest you go beyond supplements and talk with your vet about Adequan injections (closely related to glucosamine and GAGs, but in a very absorbable form that goes into the synovial fluid and is incredibly effective for many dogs). There's a generic called Polyglycan that's less expensive, but has been effective for some younger dogs I know with HD. Both require a loading dose (a series of injections -- with adequan it's two a week for four weeks), then a maintenance dose (with young dogs, you may step down to just one a month).

The magic of these injections is they help lubricate the joint and build cartilage to cushion it -- healing rather than just masking inflammation. I know several young dogs with pretty bad HD who are on this stuff who run and play at full speed, without any sign of disease.

#9 ·
I'm a big fan of Natural Eggshell Membrane (NEM) and Biocell Collagen II (with Hyaluronic Acid), as well as fish oil (plus mixed-tocopherol Vitamin E), and Ester-C. (I ordered human-grade from Vitacost, when I had a very arthritic senior.)

This video is useful info about GAGs in joints--and NEM (but the supplement on the site is not what I bought):
Pet Joint Supplements | Healthy Joint Support - Mercola.com

I've also recently used Dasuquin on a foster dog with issues and it seemed to be very effective -- loading at a double-dose for a month, then stepping down to a maintenance dose. Vets seem to think highly of Dasuquin: What is Dasuquin®?

I would suggest you go beyond supplements and talk with your vet about Adequan injections (closely related to glucosamine and GAGs, but in a very absorbable form that goes into the synovial fluid and is incredibly effective for many dogs). There's a generic called Polyglycan that's less expensive, but has been effective for some younger dogs I know with HD. Both require a loading dose (a series of injections -- with adequan it's two a week for four weeks), then a maintenance dose (with young dogs, you may step down to just one a month).

The magic of these injections is they help lubricate the joint and build cartilage to cushion it -- healing rather than just masking inflammation. I know several young dogs with pretty bad HD who are on this stuff who run and play at full speed, without any sign of disease.
Good advice!;)

Mercola products are excellent too!

But, questionable with Dasuquin: DASUQUIN: contains
ASU Avocado/Soybean Unsaponifiables & Soy Protein Isolate
I am not a fan of any soy products for animals for the following reasons:
Per Dr. Karen Becker: “Soy is estrogenic and can wreak havoc on your dog’s endocrine system.”
Soybeans and/or soy products are not clinically proven to be safe for pets to consume.
Soybeans also contain potent enzyme-inhibitors. These inhibitors block uptake of trypsin and other enzymes which the body needs for protein digestion.
Soy contains a natural chemical that mimics estrogen, the female hormone.
-ASU possible side effects: stomach problems, rash. Soy supplements are also known to interact with iron.
Brewers Yeast (leftovers from distilling breweries)
While Brewers Yeast contains B vitamins (Biotin) and trace minerals some dogs may be sensitive to it especially if they have any allergies. Several references mention bloating, gas or indigestion is possible.

That being said, Dasuquin has had decent reviews so it boils down to a personal choice.

Moms:)

#10 ·
In a dog not showing any symptoms, now's the time to work on keeping it that way. It's not cheap, but Adequan is the way to to, imo, to PREVENT the dog from showing signs for hopefully, a long, long time. Read up on how it works before you dismiss it for cost. The loading dose is pricey, but remember, you can go months between injections after a while and the loading dose is only for a month or so.

I've seen amazing before and after x-rays with Adequan. Unfortunately, they were quite a few years ago and I don't have digital copies of them to post easily. There is more data from horse folks, so read that as well when making your decision.

#11 ·
I am a fan of Duralactin Equine Joint Plus. The dose for a GSD is one teaspoon daily and it has worked well for my seniors and rescued dogs with injuries.

The Joint Plus version has the glucosamine and chondroitin. A 3.75 pound bucket will last one dog about eight months at one teaspoon per day and looks like rabbit pellets. They are butter flavored and my dogs get them in their food mixed with warm water. There is never anything left behind.

Duralactin® for Equines

#12 ·
My 3 year old has UAP and is also very active and lives on a horse farm. I've always given Acti-Flex K9 to my dogs as I've never found a better joint supplement, but Cas has also been on green lipped sea mussel for about 8 months and I highly recommend it. I buy Xtend-life brand directly from New Zealand and I've seen really good results. I also give him Cetyl M as kind of a 'shotgun approach' to protection. Before he took sea mussel and Cetyl M he would get sore on his right elbow if he over it. Now, he does what he wants, rarely gets sore and if he does, his rebound time is much quicker. He has also never seen his x-rays so he thinks he's normal!

#15 ·
Its usually 2 times a week for 4 weeks and then once a month after. I did the loading and did 3 months 1 times a month. We do oral glucosamine now.

#14 ·
I, too, have given Acti-Flex (if we are thinking the same product) but I gave a smaller dose of the Acti-Flex 4000 as they did not have the K9 for a long time but people were giving the horse product to their dogs; same formulation..........

Good product! My severely dysplastic female did well of it. Right now I have some Springtime Longevity I wound up with and am giving it to Beau (he has DJD, not clear cut ED in his elbows).......though not sure what I will do when it runs out.

This is per serving and they recommend 4 for a dog his size but I am giving 3

Bee pollen3,000 mg
Raw spirulina (micro-algae)1,200 mg
Desiccated beef liver896 mg
Nutritional yeast culture800 mg
Chondroitin sulfate, min. 90% purity (bovine cartilage extract)400 mg
Glucosamine HCL, 99% (shellfish extract)400 mg
MSM, 99% (methyl sulfonyl methane)400 mg
Ascorbic acid (vitamin C)200 mg Citrus bioflavonoid complex, 40%200 mg
Carrot powder166 mg
Hesperidin, 85%102 mg
Kelp100 mg
Sea Salt100 mg
Biotin720 mcg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.