My 9 week old German Shepherd puppy has Parvo - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs down My 9 week old German Shepherd puppy has Parvo

Okay, I'm going to try and keep this brief. Early December our Labrador died at a good old age of 14. We decided to get another German Shepherd puppy (we already have a black, long haired GSD who is 9 named Harmony) we named our new pup Eloise. She was beautiful, energetic and we all loved her. After 3 days she got very ill, vomiting , diarrhea. I read up on parvo so knew we had to take her to the vets. We took her 4 times in the space of a week, and every time they said she didn't have parvo (she had no temperature and no blood in poo) unfortunately she died suddenly, and we were heartbroken. We rang the vets a while later and asked if it was safe to get another puppy, they said it was as they were sure Eloise didn't have parvo.

Fast forward, we now have a beautiful German Shepherd puppy named Serenity. Energetic, playful, beautiful. And then it happened, she showed the same systems as Eloise did. I noticed this and rushed her straight to an emergency veterinary hospital who said she did in fact have parvo. Heartbroken doesn't even describe how we feel.

She has been there for a day now (brought her yesterday night at 11:30) has been on antibiotics and had a plasma transfusion. The vets say they're keeping her for a minimum of 3 days.

I'm not quite sure why I'm writing this, but stories of encouragement of dogs who have survived with parvo would be lovely.

I can't believe this is happening, this Christmas has been horrible.
abigailcichosz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Oh my gosh. I can't imagine, especially since we have had our pup for only 6 days. My heartfelt sympathies go out to you and your family.

This almost has to be environmental. Where is she going potty?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm so sorry. I've never had a dog with Parvo, but I'll be sending prayers out for your Pup.

Jelpy
Old 01-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ks View Post
Oh my gosh. I can't imagine, especially since we have had our pup for only 6 days. My heartfelt sympathies go out to you and your family.

This almost has to be environmental. Where is she going potty?
She was going inside the house (was trying to potty train her) and when we caught her in the act we took her into the back garden on the patio where she had her own little 'doggy exercise area.' We didn't allow her to go on the grass incase she ate any of the fox poo.
abigailcichosz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Our Daisy had parvo as a puppy. not as young as your Serenity though. It itook three days but after plasma and blood she came through it. My prayers and thoughts are w/ you . There is alot more they know about parvo in the 14 years since Daisy had it.

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My boy had parvo at 8 weeks old. Spent 5 days at the vets. He's now a perfectly healthy, huge, 85 lbs, GSD male that doesn't take crap from anything. I know its rough, but each day that goes by is a good sign. Once they can make it 3-4 days its a great sign. Still could go bad, but generally at that point the dog will pull through.

I strongly suggest spraying your whole house down with a bleach solution. 1 cap to 1 gallon of water is what the suggested solution is. Bleach is the only thing that kills parvo.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 03:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

hang in there, your pup will be home soon.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Someone had mentioned a bleach solution, thats a great idea, i would clean everything with a bleach mix before she comes home. I feel terrible for you, i hope she has a speedy recovery.
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigailcichosz View Post
Okay, I'm going to try and keep this brief. Early December our Labrador died at a good old age of 14. We decided to get another German Shepherd puppy (we already have a black, long haired GSD who is 9 named Harmony) we named our new pup Eloise. She was beautiful, energetic and we all loved her. After 3 days she got very ill, vomiting , diarrhea. I read up on parvo so knew we had to take her to the vets. We took her 4 times in the space of a week, and every time they said she didn't have parvo (she had no temperature and no blood in poo) unfortunately she died suddenly, and we were heartbroken. We rang the vets a while later and asked if it was safe to get another puppy, they said it was as they were sure Eloise didn't have parvo.

Fast forward, we now have a beautiful German Shepherd puppy named Serenity. Energetic, playful, beautiful. And then it happened, she showed the same systems as Eloise did. I noticed this and rushed her straight to an emergency veterinary hospital who said she did in fact have parvo. Heartbroken doesn't even describe how we feel.

She has been there for a day now (brought her yesterday night at 11:30) has been on antibiotics and had a plasma transfusion. The vets say they're keeping her for a minimum of 3 days.

I'm not quite sure why I'm writing this, but stories of encouragement of dogs who have survived with parvo would be lovely.

I can't believe this is happening, this Christmas has been horrible.
Parvo stays in the area for a while unless treated. That could be why your puppy got it. I am very sorry you are going through this: (

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
GSDlover143 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDlover143 View Post
Parvo stays in the area for a while unless treated. That could be why your puppy got it. I am very sorry you are going through this: (

GSDlover143 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.