German Shepherds Forum banner

My 9 week old German Shepherd puppy has Parvo

15K views 104 replies 41 participants last post by  abigailcichosz 
#1 ·
Okay, I'm going to try and keep this brief. Early December our Labrador died at a good old age of 14. We decided to get another German Shepherd puppy (we already have a black, long haired GSD who is 9 named Harmony) we named our new pup Eloise. She was beautiful, energetic and we all loved her. After 3 days she got very ill, vomiting , diarrhea. I read up on parvo so knew we had to take her to the vets. We took her 4 times in the space of a week, and every time they said she didn't have parvo (she had no temperature and no blood in poo) unfortunately she died suddenly, and we were heartbroken. We rang the vets a while later and asked if it was safe to get another puppy, they said it was as they were sure Eloise didn't have parvo.

Fast forward, we now have a beautiful German Shepherd puppy named Serenity. Energetic, playful, beautiful. And then it happened, she showed the same systems as Eloise did. I noticed this and rushed her straight to an emergency veterinary hospital who said she did in fact have parvo. Heartbroken doesn't even describe how we feel.

She has been there for a day now (brought her yesterday night at 11:30) has been on antibiotics and had a plasma transfusion. The vets say they're keeping her for a minimum of 3 days.

I'm not quite sure why I'm writing this, but stories of encouragement of dogs who have survived with parvo would be lovely.

I can't believe this is happening, this Christmas has been horrible.

See less See more
#4 ·
She was going inside the house (was trying to potty train her) and when we caught her in the act we took her into the back garden on the patio where she had her own little 'doggy exercise area.' We didn't allow her to go on the grass incase she ate any of the fox poo.

#5 ·
Our Daisy had parvo as a puppy. not as young as your Serenity though. It itook three days but after plasma and blood she came through it. My prayers and thoughts are w/ you . There is alot more they know about parvo in the 14 years since Daisy had it.

#6 ·
My boy had parvo at 8 weeks old. Spent 5 days at the vets. He's now a perfectly healthy, huge, 85 lbs, GSD male that doesn't take crap from anything. I know its rough, but each day that goes by is a good sign. Once they can make it 3-4 days its a great sign. Still could go bad, but generally at that point the dog will pull through.

I strongly suggest spraying your whole house down with a bleach solution. 1 cap to 1 gallon of water is what the suggested solution is. Bleach is the only thing that kills parvo.

#11 ·
We should hopefully be going to visit her tomorrow, so will post an update.

The vet did ring earlier to say she is very ravenous and trying to eat everything in sight, so they've had to make her wear the cone of shame.

All we can do is hope for the best, she's a fighter.

#13 ·
This is a wonderful sign. Watch your older dog because parvo is most likely to occur in younger and older dogs, depending on the strain. It stays put for 6 months to a year, bleach helps get rid of it, but I'm not sure it completely gets rid of it. Hope to have a positive update after your visit!!

#15 ·
View attachment 160050

My puppy coda had parvo about a year ago. She went into my backyard where I had heard some stray dogs a few days before. I hated myself for not thinking anything about it, and just letting her go out there. There were nights of sleeping on the floor and monitoring her vital signs. Nights of giving her pedilyte through a syringe. But she pulled through. After what we endured together, we have a stronger relationship.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#16 ·
I'm so sorry - it's such a nasty/tricky virus! For what it's worth, though, I know 2 puppies (different litters, different breeds, same rescue) that both made it through parvo and are healthy and thriving now! Best wishes!

#17 ·
Buy a garden type sprayer that attaches to the end of a hose. Spray EVERYTHING with a bleach solution and make it as strong as you can stand it. When we have a parvo case at the shelter we spray everything with a strong bleach solution. You need to smell that bleach. We have even sprayed the play yard before. It might kill some grass and might not even help but I am very parvo paranoid. You can buy some vet-use stuff like parvocide to use. Ask your vet if he has anything to recommend.

Had your baby just recently been vaccinated?

#18 ·
Stronger bleach solution is NOT the answer. A too strong solution causes the virus to close up to protect itself. Use only the recommended ratio to dilute the bleach.

They used to have you step in a bleach solution before you entered the vets if your yard had been exposed to parvo. It might be a good idea to treat your shoes, too, after you treat your yard. BUT maybe since your pup already has it she will gain immunity and this won't matter unless you bring another pup in.

I'd let the original vet who denied that your earlier pup had parvo know about this. I'm not sure I would be especially soft spoken either.

Here's hoping for the best for this puppy.

#21 ·
We went to see her today, she's....ok

Vet said she's not out of the clear yet, the next 48 hours are going to be crucial, but they have given her more drugs, one called albumin because her levels are very low.

The vet said she has put on weight there, so that's good and she hasn't been sick any more, she still has diarrhea but now with no blood in it.

So far the bill has come to over £2000, with more to come.

Will continue to keep you all updated.

xx

#26 ·
Maybe she's just resting. I'm hoping that fact that she doesn't have blood in her stool anymore is good. Please keep up updated on your baby.

Jelpy

#27 ·
unless you're getting another puppy, getting rid of it isn't going to do anything now. and lots of puppies pull thru, some don't even get that sick, but if they do, keeping IV fluids till they work thru it is critical. Sounds like that is what it is getting. It's not pretty, but if it pulls thru, i'm sure it will be fine. Very sorry you have to go thru this, but Look on the bright side, you won't have to pay for a parvo vaccine :)

#31 ·
Sometimes they have to get worse before better. It's a very weird virus, because it hits so hard. Even though there is some aftercare, the difference in lethargy and not wanting to eat seems to go away and then all of the sudden they want to eat and play like nothing. Sending prayers:hug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.