German Shepherds Forum banner

Skin Rash/Infection

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Sunflowers 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

Jackson is just over 7 months old now, and has had a skin rash on the inside of his hind legs/groin area on 3 separate occasions (once at around 3 months, 5 months, and now at 7 months). It starts as a couple red spots and then quickly spreads over the course of a week.

The vet has given him a combination of antibiotic/antihistamine which does treat the rash, but clearly there is an underlying problem. The vet provided me with information regarding blood work/allergy testing, and believes that it is likely an allergy.

I was wondering if there was anything to try before spending $5-600 on blood work and testing. Jackson has been fed Blue Wilderness large breed puppy kibble since I brought him home from the breeder. I was thinking about switching to an adult kibble and so I was wondering about trying a food switch to see if that makes any difference.

Any thing else I should be looking into? I have a feeling I'll be spending the money on the testing but if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate them!

#2 ·
I would save your money. What you have going on is likely a yeasty issue and is due to the age of your pup and vaccine protocol. Vaccines suppress the immune system allowing yeast to take over. Your pups immune system has not fully developed (about a yr. old it should) and abx./antihistamines aren't going to help this along. The abx. may help w/secondary bacterial infection...however, a simple trick you can use topically is a mix of Raw organic apple cidar vinegar and water (50/50) and spritz on the area, allow to dry and apply Raw cold pressed organic coconut oil. This will kill yeast and bacteria.

You can also add these to diet. a tblsp. of ACV to water and 1tsp./10lbs of body weight for C.O.

Veteracyn will work on rash too.
Diet change (RAW), grain/carb/starch free

Your vet should know this is a vaccine reaction...shame on them for trying to extract $$$ for unnecessary tests.

Also...Don't give Rabies at same time as other vaccines. And other vaccines, just Parvo and Distemper...titer at one yr old...if there are antibodies, no need to vax. again other than rabies (by - law...sigh)

#3 ·
this really makes me mad. Vets should know better than to give to many vax's at a time. they should know better. up to us owners to be proactive and be educated on such things. sad you can't trust some vets and that they are just thinking $$$$$. of course they are not going to tell clients that it could be the vax's causing this reaction...........grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

#4 ·
switching food can't hurt. switch food, get a 2nd opinion. if that doesn't
work get the blood test and allergy test. save the bag of the old kibble.
when you switch food read the labels and see if there's anything different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.