German Shepherds Forum banner

Is this normal for 9 weeks old GSD puppy? (Warning, Graphic Pics)

8K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  VTGirlT 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I brought my puppy to the vet this morning and got his 9 weeks old shot and De-wormed pill. Later on tonight, I found this <pictures> in his pooOOp. Is it normal?

It looks like a worm or some kind of virus, I have no clue. I also touch it, it felt like a rubber.

And yes, I washed my hands.

Regards, Kevin

See less See more
#2 ·
Those are round worms in his poop - so the wormer is working. Very normal for a 9 week old to be pooping out roundworms after being wormed. Might still see them in a couple more bowel movements, but they should be gone after that. ( I added the warning to the subject line, I've seen plenty of roundworms, but the close-up pics you posted were a bit unexpected).

#3 ·
#4 ·
Definitely wash your hands and completely dispose of the poop. Children can be infected by round worms, so you may want to be careful with your children around the puppy for a few days.

#9 ·
as noted - it is a roundworm....get some meds from the vet if he has not yet been wormed....

Used to be that wormer was given 2 days in a row, then repeated 10 days or 2 weeks later for 2 days....the cycle of egg to adult worm are treated....if I see worms in a young pup after the first dose of wormer, I do 3 days in a row, wait 10, reworm - then do it again a third time after another 10 days....

All pups are born with worms they say....these are the easiest to treat .....the big thing is to not let infested feces sit on the ground as the eggs can be deposited via contact, then picked up again by the dog and he gets reinfested

Lee

#10 ·
Please......Quit quoting the photos! yuk! We don't need to see them over and over

#11 ·
Go to tractor supply and get some diatomaceous earth. After I cleaned up the poop, I put that on the ground to help kill off any remaining eggs. Dewormer expels them live. yuck!

I had a foster that was loaded with worms. After 7 days of safeguard, he still had them. I gave him 1/4 tsp in his food per day and the next day, he had white specs in his poop. The diatomaceous earth is sharp and will cut up the worms while drying up the eggs. It's perfectly safe for the puppy. It's like a powder.

#14 ·
They get them from the female in utereo. Thus they have them when born. It is advisable to worm with Pyrantel paomate at about 3 weeks, then 5 weeks, then 7 weeks. I always wormed mom as soon as I knew she was pregnant with Pyrantel, doesn't hurt unborn puppies.
Adults can carry round worms eggs without "pooping" them out. I have seen adult dogs with bad cases of roundworm.

#15 ·
Major Kudos to the OP for being vigilant about an unpleasant task 'Poop Watch'. Great job!!!

#16 ·
Brembo...we always make spaghetti jokes at the shelter. If you guys really want to see good worm photos I'll take some the next time we do a whole litter at once :) I can eat my lunch while scooping that stuff now. Three years in a shelter will make you have absolutely no gag reflex :)

#17 ·
Aren't round worms the ones where they will lay dormant in the muscle and when the bitch becomes pregnant, the eggs kind of activate? A vet told me that once. Not sure if it was round worms though. I just worm the puppies once they start weaning, and always worm the bitch along with the puppies. I worm every two weeks until they are 8 or 10 weeks and then once a month until they get their final set of shots.

I hardly ever see a worm in poo though.

#19 ·
When we get a full litter in to the shelter they have usually had very little to no care at all as far as worming or shots. If they are at least 6/7 weeks old we will instantly worm them and give them a first puppy shot. The next morning will look like someone turned a pot of spaghetti over in the kennel :)

#20 ·
In a nine week old pup they should not have been that size. It just shows the breeder hadn't wormed them at all. The pups and mom should be wormed at 2 weeks. Then the pups should be wormed at weekly intervals to keep them parasite free. All pups get worms but it is the responsibility of the breeder to keep them under control. Those worms in the pics have been developing for awhile.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#21 · (Edited)
Oh wow awesome! Those are HUGE round worms! Glad those suckers are coming out of your poor pup!

Worms are normal, puppies and kittens get them all the time. Stray cats and dogs have them all the time. Animals not dewormed or that have proper flea, tick, etc. treatment can get them.

Make sure you follow the Vet's deworming schedule! :)

The worst is when i see cats vomit worms, this really gets to me..

Or the time a full tapeworm, about 2 feet in length (WOW), was sticking out (About a foot) of the kitten's anus.. Which is really rare, it was alive too.. as we put it out on the exam table and measured it, we could see it slowly moving and moving its head. Got to love worms..!

#27 ·
I have a 10 week old puppy and he was just treated for roundworm. The breeder wormed the litter twice, but worms are still pretty common in puppies and somehow he ended up with them. I noticed his poo was liquid for the first week I had him. No blood or mucus or any other symptoms that would make me think it was serious, so I took a fecal sample to the vet and they found roundworm eggs. They gave me 3 days of Panacur powder and recommended I treat my adults at home with ivermectin. I also gave the puppy 2 doses of ivermectin several days apart to make sure we killed everything. After the first day he pooped out several worms. He's been fine now for several days but we're running another fecal test this afternoon to be sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.