German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Help/Advice please about my new dog I got from a rescue?! :( (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/391298-help-advice-please-about-my-new-dog-i-got-rescue.html)

xoChesleyy 01-04-2014 10:23 PM

Help/Advice please about my new dog I got from a rescue?! :(

I had wanted my own dog for a long time, and my boyfriend finally got me one as my Christmas gift. I found his picture on the internet, and immediately fell in love! We went to pick him (Cratos) up on December 16th from a 'rescue'. Cratos is 1 1/2 years old. The people we got him from stated that he had all of his vaccines, de-worming, and is neutered. We met him and he was VERY skiddish at first, but after just a couple hours, we could tell he had already grown attached to us, and vice versa. (: He is a happy dog- Full of energy. 3-4 days after having Cratos, he was still playful, as usual.. But started vomiting white vomit. Since then, this has repeated basically every 3-4 days, usually associated with diarrhea and loss of appetite as well. It lasts for one day, then seems to repeat in the next 3-4 days. On these "sick days", we hear tummy gurgling and he sometimes will try to eat grass outside only to vomit after.. :/ He will still be playful for the most part, but at random times will just lay there. Also, he usually won't eat for the first half of the day. Then, the following day and a couple days after that his appetite is back to normal. We contacted the people who we bought him from, and they insisted it was probably from the dog food change. (They had him on Pedigree but we just did the whole 14-day switch over to Blue Buffalo.) I have tried giving him a bland diet of white rice and boiled chicken. I have tried sweet potatoes as well, and this never restored his "normal" stools (which are cow-patty like) to firm stools. I did some research and found that digestive enzymes are helpful to aid in digestion. So, I purchased some and have been giving them to him for a few days now. Today (the 4th day since he did this last) he vomited once this morning after eating grass. Then white bile hours later while he was at the park. He had a loss of appetite for about half the day, but when we got back from the park he ate like usual and hasn't vomited anymore today, but has had loose stools. Has anyone ever experienced any issues like this? :( Does it sound like something serious? Any input is appreciated!

Stevenzachsmom 01-04-2014 10:30 PM

Were you given a copy of his vet records? You should take him to your own vet for a complete physical, along with any paperwork you may have. I wouldn't keep playing around with the food, enzymes and what-not. I'd really want to figure out what is going on with him.

Liz&Anna 01-04-2014 10:33 PM

Blue is very rich and may be to much for your boy to handle, it causes gas and funny stool in allot of pets actually, my small dog Sam has TONS of digestive problems and when he is stressed out or in a stressful situation he will throw up and stop eating for a few days. I've tried allot of things (steroids antibiotics, anti nausea meds from the vet prescription food, he's had blood tests you name it) once I got Sam on to raw he was way happier about eating and didn't throw up for months! my vet also gives him provolax (I think that's how it's spelled) that helps allot it was like a beneficial bacteria for his gut. That being said it could be something serious, you may want to get him checked out

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Liz&Anna 01-04-2014 10:33 PM

Runny stool*** (iPhone lol)

xoChesleyy 01-04-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom (Post 4773938)
Were you given a copy of his vet records? You should take him to your own vet for a complete physical, along with any paperwork you may have. I wouldn't keep playing around with the food, enzymes and what-not. I'd really want to figure out what is going on with him.

The only paper they gave me was for the pet license and one paper with his name, weight, breed, etc. that at the bottom shows he's been neutered, along with a rabies shot and the fees of both. :confused:

xoChesleyy 01-04-2014 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz&Anna (Post 4773986)
Blue is very rich and may be to much for your boy to handle, it causes gas and funny stool in allot of pets actually, my small dog Sam has TONS of digestive problems and when he is stressed out or in a stressful situation he will throw up and stop eating for a few days. I've tried allot of things (steroids antibiotics, anti nausea meds from the vet prescription food, he's had blood tests you name it) once I got Sam on to raw he was way happier about eating and didn't throw up for months! my vet also gives him provolax (I think that's how it's spelled) that helps allot it was like a beneficial bacteria for his gut. That being said it could be something serious, you may want to get him checked out

Really?! I've always heard Blue is a good dog food.. Uggh.. He has been repeating this behavior since we have gotten him no matter which dog food we switch him to. It could possibly just be dog food in general because kibble is apparently hard for dogs to digest in itself.. I reeally want to switch him to a raw diet, and probably will if I can get him to the vet and them be able to diagnose him.. I just don't understand why dog food could be tearing up his tummy that badly unless it is a medical issue. ): Hopefully the vet can get him fixed up.

Liz&Anna 01-04-2014 10:51 PM

Blue is good! It's just some dogs can't handle it, switching back and forth will make him sick also and when they are having a bad reaction you should with hold food for 24 hours, start clean, but if it's an allergy it can take weeks to work it self out he needs something bland that he can go on until his stomach settles then go from there

xoChesleyy 01-04-2014 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz&Anna (Post 4774098)
Blue is good! It's just some dogs can't handle it, switching back and forth will make him sick also and when they are having a bad reaction you should with hold food for 24 hours, start clean, but if it's an allergy it can take weeks to work it self out he needs something bland that he can go on until his stomach settles then go from there

I'm just wondering if (which this would be a horrible thing for anyone to do) he already had health problems and that's why they sold him for only the re-homing fee. Maybe I'm thinking negatively, but lets hope that it's just his diet. Hmm.. What would you suggest for "bland"? Because I've tried white rice/boiled chicken, and sweet potatoes and it hasn't really seemed to help..

David Winners 01-04-2014 11:01 PM

Tummy issues take time. It sounds like you have done a lot in a very short period.

I would suggest overcooked white rice, soupy and mushy, until you get a log poop. This may take a couple of days. Then add a small amount of cooked white chicken with no fat to the same rice. Gradually, over 3 days or so, increase the amount of chicken until you reach half chicken, half rice. If at any time you get loose stools, take a step back and let his gut settle.

After you get solid poop on the chicken and rice mixture, start substituting a small amount of the chicken with the BB kibble. Go through the same steps as before, gradually upping the amount of kibble and decreasing the amount of chicken and rice until you are on all kibble.

If at any time the gut gets inflamed again, you have to step back and allow things to settle. If the BB proves to be too rich, you may have to search for a lower protein and fat content food to feed.

Gut problems are rarely remedied in a couple of days time. Every time you switch his diet up, you run the risk of aggravating the gut again and starting all over. Patience is the key.

I would also recommend a vet visit to rule out any issues that may be contributing to the problem.

Good luck! And I hope your pup is feeling better soon.

Msmaria 01-04-2014 11:03 PM

how long have you been giving him the chicken and rice. Sometimes it takes a little while for them to get regular.you can also try lean hamburger and white rice but I think the chicken has less fat.