German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Immediate Help Needed PLEASE *Bloody Diarrhea / Vomiting* (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/391202-immediate-help-needed-please-bloody-diarrhea-vomiting.html)

SkyTheWhiteShepherd 01-04-2014 07:24 PM

Immediate Help Needed PLEASE *Bloody Diarrhea / Vomiting*

First off, I'm glad I've found this place because at this time, it seems like my last option to seek help.

I moved to Germany two months ago, and all Vet's are closed right now (no one will answer the phones as it's 1am). They are also closed Sunday and Monday, due to the "Three Kings Holiday".

I have a 7 year old White Shepherd. For some time now (the past few months), she's had issues with gas. She has been farting more and more and they have a sour smell to them. She has also been dealing with on-and-off diarrhea issues. When I take her for a walk, she usually goes to poop two times. The first poop is solid, but the second is straight liquid (smaller amount than first poop). This has been going on for a good while (~three months). She also has a rash on the inner side of her tail that touches the anus. She's been licking back there a lot lately and I think this is why that area is now raw.

I took her to the vet two days ago here in Germany. They emptied her anal glands, which were full, and gave me a cream for the raw spot. This cream is called FUCIDERM. I've applied it three times now. She has not licked the area. The vet also gave me CANIKUR PRO, which is an additive that goes in her food to help digestion. I've used that twice now.

TODAY IS WHEN EVERYTHING WENT SOUTH:
About 5 hours ago, I get home to my dog puking. At first I thought to myself "Ok, upset stomach, let's see if it gets worse." Well, since then, she has puked over 20 times (I've lost count), and also has insane diarrhea (pure liquid streaming out). Being afraid that she's getting dehydrated, I've been giving her small amounts of water. That stays down for roughly 15 minutes at a time, until she throws that back up (it's all slimey at this point).

NOW ANOTHER SHOCKER:
She has been outside to poop (diarrhea) about 10 times now since this began. The last few times I've cleaned her off before bringing her in, I've noticed blood dripping out of her anus (I am guessing it's in the diarrhea as well). This started off being light red and it's now progressing to a darker red blood.

Has anyone had any similar issues pop up so fast? I'm reading all that I can online but I am getting nowhere. I don't know if it's bloat, I don't know if it's a reaction to those creams...I really have no idea and I'm getting really worried at this point.

Thank you to anyone who replies.

d4lilbitz 01-04-2014 07:37 PM

I'm not sure who you could contact. Are there no 24 ER Vets near you. If so I would go there immediately. I'm worried for your dog, that's a lot of vomiting and with the increased amount of blood in the stool, it doesn't sound good. Luckily there is a 24 hour vet about five minutes from my house should something serious happen that can't wait until the morning. Good luck and praying for you both : )

Colie CVT 01-04-2014 07:38 PM

Vet. Don't bother looking about online, get your dog to a vet.

HGE can kill. It can kill within hours. If your dog is having that much diarrhea (and darker blood means its from higher in the system) and is vomiting that much (water does no good going in when it comes right back up, it means it isn't getting absorbed, and you have further losses with each vomiting episode), it just means get the dog into someone sooner rather than later.

It could be at this point anything. Forget the why. Worry about the what and get her medical treatment. :/ You can talk about the why later once she's more stable and her insides aren't acting shocky.

LoveEcho 01-04-2014 07:42 PM

E-vet. Any vet. Now. Internet diagnoses are useless.

Heidigsd 01-04-2014 07:44 PM

You need to get her to an emergency vet. Where in Germany are you located?

Maybe this site will help you find an emergency clinic. I'm really sorry that she is so sick :(
Notdienst-Suche, Tiernotdienst, Notdienstpraxis, Notdienstkliniken, Tiernotruf in

Sunflowers 01-04-2014 07:44 PM

I'm really sorry this is happening, it sounds very scary. If I were you, I would at least try to talk to an online veterinarian.

http://www.pearl.com/sip/veterinaria...&JPCD=20121019

JakodaCD OA 01-04-2014 08:00 PM

I would also be searching for an E vet. I hope you can get her help fast..Please let us know how she makes out.

SkyTheWhiteShepherd 01-04-2014 08:05 PM

Thank you so much for your replies. She has thrown up three more times but has not had to go outside. I've googled around for E-Vets in my area and there is one located roughly 30 kilometers from me. I am giving them a call now.

Thank you so much, and I will update when I have the chance.

vom Eisenherz 01-04-2014 08:23 PM

I hate to give out too much info online, for fear someone will skip the vet and follow internet advice...but typically, if it's "JUST" HGE, metronidazole will be administered, as well as sub-q or IV fluids at the E-vet. Sometimes Cerenia will be prescribed for vomiting. None of these are things "regular" people have on hand. The metronidazole is critical for preventing secondary infections that can cause a dog to become septic, and the fluids are obviously necessary. Cerenia is a powerful anti-nausea medicine, often used in parvo puppies.

The thing that bothers me about an HGE diagnosis is that this started a couple days ago, and HGE usually is more sudden. This sounds like it could be something bigger getting way out of hand, especially since she's already ON an anti-diarrheal, the Canikur. Could this be an obstruction? Pancreatitis? Was bloodwork done when you brought her in 2 days ago, and if so, what were the results?

Praying she pulls through and you get help NOW.

SkyTheWhiteShepherd 01-04-2014 10:00 PM

Greetings,

I just came back from the E-Vet. The lady working was quite annoyed at me asking about HGE & Bloat ( she didn't bother to talk about it when I asked). I guess that's beside the point right now though.

The lady did take her temperature (which was okay), and listened to her heart rate; also normal. She said that the dog is dehydrated just by looking at her eyes. She gave my dog three injections: One for the diarrhea, one for vomiting, and another for something else that has to do with her stomach. I have another appointment in 6 hours. If it doesn't improve, she said my dog will have to stay there for a couple days so they can really figure out what is going on. Bloodwork was not done. She advised me to not give my dog any water for the next two hours. She also said that it is absolutely normal for a dog to start bleeding out of their rectum after having so much diarrhea. I hope she is correct..

vom Eisenherz - Bloodwork was not done the last time I went to the vet. They also advised to just wait and see if the stuff they gave me helps.

Heidigsd - Thank you so much for that link. Although there were no results for the area that I live in, it helped tremendously because of the word "Tiernotdienst". Before I registered on this forum I was only googling for animal clinics, and none of them offered 24-hour emergency services. Googling "Tiernotdienst" for my area brought up the results I needed. A big thank you!

And since this is my first posting here (although I've browsed this forum a few times before in the past couple years), I guess I should go ahead and introduce my dog "Sky"

http://i.imgur.com/6YZQae7.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/JTh38Lr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qpGxzcX.jpg