German Shepherds Forum banner

Post Bloat

782 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  gsdsar 
#1 ·
I have a question for those who have dealt with this in the past.

yesterday my German Shepard Puma (6 yrs Old) had surgery for Bloat. We where lucky in that we got her to the ER very very early and they didnt have to remove spleen and her stomach was ok. (I picked her up from kennel (2 weeks in there) and within 30 mins I saw she was sick and took her to ER.

My question is what to expect Post Op. If her stomach bloats again..do I take her to ER.. how long should I expect her to live? Meaning does she still have same life expectancy (if this never happened)? She has been eating Blue country Dog food..Should I change Diet? Your responses are appreciated. Thank you.

#4 ·
So glad you caught it in time!!! Bloat is a very scary thing. I have one girl who is a regular bloater.

Have simethicone on hand at all times. Gas-x is the other name. If you think she is looking bloaty, give her 1-2. Wait for a bit, if no improvement go to the vet.

I don't think there is a decreased life expectancy, now that she is pexied. It's the torsion(flipping if the stomach), GDV, that kills.

Make her eat slower. Put a large rock in her bowl, or get her one if those slow feeding bowls. Do not feed her if she is panting. My rule is 2 hours before or after excersise.

Good Luck!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.