Sick puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2014, 02:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sick puppy

Hi my dog is 5months and is occasionally sick, although the past 3/4 days he's has been up through the night being constantly sick, he hasn't eaten anything he's not suppose too, and is still happily eating his food and drinking water, after he is sick he is back to his usual self! Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
jadexx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2014, 07:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What is your feeding schedule? When does he eat his last meal? I wonder if he's throwing up bile because his stomach is empty. My boy use to do that. I started to give him a snack before bed (biscuit, little yogurt, scoop of tripe-not all together).
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

This happened to Rocco at about that age too (empty stomach for too long). If it's bile (yellow liquid), try feeding him a late snack. It seems to me they are growing much at that age and metabolism is fast. May need to add an extra small meal for a few months. If it's not just bile, I would go to the vet.

Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Angelina03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 08:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Agreed, Angelina. Hopefully this is a easy fix. But a vet visit may be in order.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 08:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

He gets his last feed around half past 6, he is bringing up his last feed and then is sick about 4/5 after which eventually turns in bile and water as I give him a drink after he is sick to keep him hydrated

jadexx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

he needs his meal later or another meal...I agree with everyone who says it if from empty stomach

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadexx View Post
He gets his last feed around half past 6, he is bringing up his last feed and then is sick about 4/5 after which eventually turns in bile and water as I give him a drink after he is sick to keep him hydrated

Not clear. You mean he throws up his meal? Is he sick 4/5 times after that? Or 4/5 am in the morning hours? If he is throwing up his food every night, take him to the vet. That doesn't seem normal. It may be "what" you're feeding, how much you're feeding, level of activity, anxiety, illness... I don't know... I would go to the vet. It's strange if it only happens at night and it's not from empty stomach.

Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Angelina03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

you didn't say if he is gaining or loosing weight., but hopefully you are seeing a vet today.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Is he only throwing up bile or does he occasionally throw up his food?

My Sofie did that. She would throw up her food and sometimes bile, but was otherwise healthy and spirited. She wasn't gaining weight like she needed to be at that time, but she wasn't loosing either. The simple solution was lots of little meals. I fed her 5 three-quarter cup meals a day as opposed to the 2 one and a half cup meals I was before, and the vomiting cleared up by the second day. I gradually got her to 3 meals a day and she always acts like she's still hungry after each of them, but she's now gaining nicely and very healthy and we have no stomach issues.

If yours is losing weight or something that simple doesn't work within a couple days, a trip to the vet will probably be in order.
havery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.