German Shepherds Forum banner

Vet calls a it strange case with discovery of a series of other problems

7K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  blackjack21 
#1 · (Edited)
My 5 month pup, Loki is in the hospital for 3 days now, have been crying and I just need to vent and share my experience here.

Had to take Loki to the vet for sudden onset of lethargy, dehydration. I was changing his kibble from Proplan to Origen and was prob doing the transition bit too quick, and he started having pudding poo for 3 days but i thought id just feed pumpkin through the rest of the transition. It helped only a bit, but Loki was energetic and eating and drinking normally.

I was on my night shift and I have my dog walker sit him till 1030 pm, I get a text later that night from my Dog walker he vomited brown stuff, kibble and the pumpkin twice and diarrhea. I come home he is barely excited, just wagging his tail but no scratching the crate and bouncing towards me. I took him out, peed alot, squirted small amt of liquid poop and then one small ball, I expected more. I take him back in, doesnt want to drink at all and was so lethargic. His head was down, ears down i managed to syringe feed him 100cc and hoped on a cab to the vet.

He was to stay for the day and maybe overnight for hydration, bloodwork, x-ray, to check for bowel obstruction, etc... Loki looked soo sad but was amazingly cooperated with everything. I get a call xray shows no obstruction, blood work was normal except some elevated WBC/neuts. He was hydrated but still lethargic. They said they were closing at 7 and will be back at 8 am and suggested if i wanted to send him to a emerge 24hr clinic. I come to see and Loki doesnt lift his head to even greet me. So he was transfered overnight and we decided to to ultrasound to rule out any obstruction the xray could not show. In the am I come after my nightshift Loki seems better and started eating and drinking he came to greet but then went back to bed shortly after. The poop exam becomes positive for Parvo but the vet thinks its a false positive, Loki just got his parvo vaccine and he is older and has improved appetite and energy. Will retest in a month.

They said the ultrasound showed no obstruction and were thinking he just has Gastroenteritis. But they also found an abscess in his abdominal wall and they took a sample and it had bacteria. Have no idea where it came from, they asked if got bitten there, Loki gets picked on at times but I dont remember any injuries. He started antibiotics. The vet noticed his R carpal/wrist swelling i said just leave it for now, but after 6 hours it had swollen up and was painfull. Xrays showed Lucency, possible joint effusion...and they dont know what was the cause whether trauma, infection, etc.. Had an orthopedic surgen come and took a fluid from his joint for C+S to see if theres any infection. Results will be a few days. But meanwhile they xray all his other joints and radiology consult found minimal inflamation on the others as well. The test for C+S will take a few days more, but they were 95% confidence Loki has a side effect reaction from his vaccine since all of his joints had some swelling as opposed if just his right wrist if it was infection. He was started on steriods. Even though the orthopedic surgen said she was 95% sure it was a vaccine side effect, he needs careful monitoring just in case the Parvo result was indeed true. Steroids would lower his immune system and the Parvo could take over. Meanwhile if we waited 4 days more for the C+S result, Loki would be in pain from swelling and longer hospitalization

So here I am now on to day 3, New year plans ruined, and barely ate or slept the past few days. It really was frustrating coz, what I thought was just to have a simple IV hydration, lead to discovery of more things with unknown sources, several tests. Loki was xrayed so many times and I was left in limbo most of the time while waiting for results. Its unfortunate my trial of pet insurance expired and I was just busy with work and the holidays to get a new one. I was researching and wanted to go with another company so I was literally going to apply on my next day off. My vet bill currently are marking 4000 dollars not including the meds or food he will need when he gets home. I just really hope Loki is better in the morning so I can take him home cause I miss him so much and it saddens me to see my happy sweet puppy very down. I fear for any pernament damage. I just wished it wasnt New Years

See less See more
#4 ·
I am so sorry this is happening to your baby!
Was this a combination vaccination that your dog got or a single shot of Parvo?
These sites have valuable information about vaccinations: Adverse Reactions to Vaccine: Treatment and Management | Truth4Dogs
Parvovirus | Dogs Naturally Magazine
I would suggest a vet who specializes in Homeopathy to help your dog get detoxed from this.

Here are some registered Holistic Vets in Canada:
Canada
Bardyeyev, Lex (Oleksiy)
DVM

519-550-0484
69 Frank St
Tillsonburg

ON
N4G 3M3
Canada

EQUINE, FARM, SMALL ANIMAL
Conventional Medicine, Homotoxicology, Nutrition, Western Herbs
Cote, Stephanie
DVM
Kanata Animal Hospital
613-836-2848
440 Hazeldean Road
Kanata
ON
K2L 1VZ
Canada
www.ovg.ca
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (IVAS), Chinese Herbs, Clinical Nutrition, Conventional Medicine, Homotoxicology, Nutrition, Osteopathy, Western Herbs

Kino****a, Michelle
DVM, CVA, CVCHM
Mountain Vista Veterinary Hospital
705-446-0261
2823 Concession Seven
Collingwood
ON
L9Y 3Z1
CANADA

http://www.mountainvistavet.com/
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture (IVAS), Bach Flowers, Chinese Herbs, Chinese Herbs (IVAS), Conventional Medicine, Homeopathy, Nutrition, Western Herbs
Kneebone, Cindy
DVM
EAST YORK ANIMAL CLINIC
416-757-3569
805 O'CONNOR DRIVE
Toronto
ON
M4B 2S7
CANADA

www.holisticpetvet.com
SMALL ANIMAL
Acupuncture, Acupuncture (IVAS), Bach Flowers, Chinese Herbs, Color Therapy, Conventional Medicine, Glandular Therapy, Homeopathy, Homotoxicology, Magnetic Therapy, Nutrition, Ozone Therapy, VOM, Western Herbs

Rostkowski, Charlene
DVM
DR. CHARLENE ROSTKOWSKI VETERINARY SERVICES
705-939-1285
297 SCRIVEN RD
Bailieboro
ONTARIO
K0L 1B0
CANADA
EQUINE, FARM, SMALL ANIMAL
Bach Flowers, Clinical Nutrition, Conventional Medicine, Homeopathy, Homeopathy-Classical, Nutrition, Western Herbs

I hope he is better soon.
Moms:)

#5 ·
I'm sorry you're going through this. I know it's frustrating, heart breaking, and makes one feel so helpless. (hugs)

good thoughts going out for Loki and you.

#8 ·
I always worry about AIHA when a dog has had a recent vaccination and then the weird things start happening. What was his blood count like? (HTC) How about his gum color?
I had a 5 month old GSD get a vaccination for Parvo and a few days later started acting like this. Ended up with auto immune hymalitic anemia. She was on steroids for 6 months along with other meds to treat this. Cost me thousands of dollars. She made it, majority don't.
Some vets have no clue about AIHA, they look for other things. Ask about AIHA.

#9 ·
So the Vet just called me, Loki is bouncing off the crate and is ready to go home. I'll pick him up in a couple hours. Loki will be going home with steroids and antibiotics and I will slowly have to return to his old kibble. Even though people dont prefer Proplan and that Origen is supposed to be amazing, it doesnt work for every puppy.
So The vomiting and diarrhea is prob food related, but the abscess in his belly is still a mystery and will prob need follow up to see if the antibiotics can clear it.
His joint swelling did turn out as a side effect of the vaccine, he got Parvo, Lepto, and distemper. He got a auto-immune poly arthritis where his immune system overreacted to the vaccine and hought that the good cells where bad cells thus the swelling. The lethargy and loss of appetite could be related to this aswell. Thankfully I disnt get the anemic side effect
Good thing is, if we treat the cause, the arthritis could go away. Provided Loki us still young we have a good chance.

ThAnk you all for listening and the kind support! Hopefully it will help people who might end up with the same situation. Ill post again when I get him home!

#11 ·
Glad he's feeling better, as for the food, whatever works for him is what I'd go with, no matter the brand:)

#14 ·
the problem with the food , may have nothing to do with the food

articles, including in Dogs Naturally , state that there is a disturbance in digestive ability post vaccination

that is seen on young pups getting first vaccination -- immune excitement - loose stools for a day or so

I don't know what shots , how many, how close in time, your dog had , but wonder if there had been any sort of reaction to vaccination previously.

very scary for you to have experienced this , especially during holiday time when a lot of the resources we rely on are not available or on limited basis.

glad for you that things are looking better !

#15 ·
How long ago were the vaccines! Is the vet who said that he thought it was a vaccine reaction willing to report it to the company? Or your vet?

I almost lost my male Shepherd a year ago to a rabies vax reaction - he was minutes from death when I got him to the vet - thankfully he pulled through. He had vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and was hemorrhaging blood internally, everywhere, and puking it out. It also came out in his urine and his liver and kidney values were WAY up.

My (SUPER, WONDERFUL, AMAZING) vet, saved his life, then reported it to the vax company. They paid the vet bills.

#16 · (Edited)
Hi guys, Loki came home and he is eating like a champ, probably due to the steroids. I kept him on a canned perscription diet for a day and have integrated his old kibble back. It took some enticing with a diluted chicken broth to make him drink, but after starting his kibble, he is drinking normally again. He has formed stools again, and sending in a sample for parasite, although I doubt it.

Energy wise, still not at best. Spends most of the day napping, minimally interested in his toys. (Although when I gave him a bone, he was at it for 2 hours).
I tried to take him for a short walk around the block but he refused and led me back to our apartment. He does however, get excited when he sees a puppy, but will only play for a few mins before settling in a corner to chew on stick. I will take it easy, for now he seems happy just wandering our apartment yard.

He got his Vaccines on the 9th of December. Parvo, Lepto, 3rd distemper. He was 4.5 months approx that time. I took him to the vet for lethargy on 30th, but his joint did not appear swelling until the late evening, and predominantly the follwoing morning. I do have the lot number of the vaccines. The emerge vet clinic has notified my vet about it.

I do hope it was not totally because of the food. If all is good again, I'd like to carefully integrate Origen at the slowest rate. Loki is on the skinny side, and with proplan I could easily feed him 5 cups with no significant weight coming on his waist. I cant see his ribs potruding, but I can feel it easily when I run my hands. He is weighing 17.9 kgs when I admitted him to the vet. Is that normal for a 5.5 month pup?
With all the good specifications from Origen, I was hoping he could gain a bit of weight and be bit tougher. If anything Ill just add it as a topper kind of thing. Loki seems to love it.
Thanks for all the concern everyone.

#17 ·
If he does wel on proplan, why not try the sensitive skin/sensitive stomache formula?

Salmon based, high fat/protein content..My dogs were on it at one time, they did fabulous on it , but got FAT,,(so if your looking for some weight gain maybe try that brand..)

#19 ·
SO happy you have your little one home! Give him all the time he needs to recover slowly!

The Orijen may be too rich for HIS system.
I would give The Honest Kitchen Embark (Dehydrated food) a try. It's about $78 for 10 pounds but RE-hydrates to 35-40 pounds of food. Keeping in mind to do the switch slowly. If you want weight gain, you can add some raw or partially cooked ground chuck (cooked in water and then rinsed to remove grease) or ground turkey (Jennie'O and Purdue has a 93% lean & 7% fat) that can add more calories. 1/4th to 1/2 cup 2 X daily.

If you feel you have to feed kibble, try Orijen's sister food Acana Grain Free as it is not as rich.

If he were mine, I would not inoculate this pup again unless a titer indicates his counts are very low and then INSIST that it be a single vaccination. ;)

Good luck! You guys deserve some!:D
Moms:)

#21 ·
Good to hear your pup is doing better!! Big hugs to you and Loki!!!

#24 ·
Your vet has to report it, or at least the vet who treated your dog. Do you have a written report. Ask for copies of all records from all who dealt with your pups condition.

Please put your dog a natural diet. He needs ALL the nutrition (natural enzymes and amino acids) he can get to repair cell damage.

Now here is a possibility that happened. Your pups first shots were knocked out by maternal antibodies (no one can predict when this will happen) leaving your pup vulnerable to parvo...you bring your pup in for more shots...the most likely place you are going to catch parvo is...AT THE VET. Inoculations supress the immune system for an estimated 10 days...once again leaving your pup vulnerable to disease.

The fecal tested positive for parvo.

The joint swelling, I truly believe was a vaccine reaction. The highest risk vaccine is Lepto. Lepto is a bacteria, not a virus.

I am happy he is home with you.
Consider the list Moms provided for holistic vets.

Kneebone is on O'Connor Dr. (Danforth area), in Toronto Mckutcheon (sp.), the owner of clinic has been in practice for 50yrs. (wrote the book "The New Holistic Way")

The Holistic Vet (North East Vet clinic) is up in Newmarket...The Owner of that practice went to California - Autumn Drouin DVM for over 30 yrs., still does consults at the clinic when up in Canada...Hyatt - the practice owner now.
Read their Bio here:
http://www.holistic-vet.ca/about-us/

#27 · (Edited)
Sorry to double post, I couldnt edit my post. Unfortunately Im at work today and tomorow the vet is closed for sunday and I can pick up the meds (I forgot the name they told me on the phone) on Monday morning at earliest. They told me its a 10 day dose with a poop sample in between and Im assuming after.

But Guys, I dont get this...10 day dose. and "between" poop sample. Why arent they giving me a 14 day dose with just a sample in the end of this period? Is the Vet trying to fish more money out of me? I have already spent 4000, and I would spend whatever to help heal my pup, but I dont want to be victimized with unnecessary tests. Its close to 60 for each poop test.

Im glad Im finding the source of his skininess. We did a poop sample a month ago and it came negative, so either Loki recently acquired it, or that specific sample didnt contain those buggers. Thing is, Loki has been having regular formed stools, until this incident, nor does did his belly look big so I never suspected. Oh please let this be the last of it. Im waiting for the c+s results from his joints, I dont want to hear another problem.

#28 ·
I would suggest you pass on the meds from the vet. You will end up on a cycle of loose poop, more tests, more fear...

Do a search on here for Kocci free. No side effects and This has worked for many on here where drugs failed...and I mean rounds and rounds and changes of meds. and tests and on and on. Even when fecal was negative, given meds anyhow and diarrhea cont'd...Kocci Free (follow dosing/timeline specifically) and bingo...no more issues.

Also want to consider Seacure for gastrointestinal repair and nutrient absorption due to the parvo. predigested fish protein and is absorbed directly without having to tax the liver and pancreas. Amino acid complex food.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.