German Shepherds Forum banner

Cesar Millan's Website recommends laser pointers. Please email a protest

17K views 55 replies 28 participants last post by  selzer 
#1 ·
#35 ·
Did someone say outlaw laser pointers because SOME dogs can develop OCD ?
Are we gonna outlaw light switches because of those people with OCD who turn on and off their lights 20 billion times a day?
Or maybe we should outlaw all cars now because of motor vehicle accidents?
Seems to me this is a big discussion over nothing. If you don't like what he has to say and you feel you know better than to use that advice then ignore that advice! It's simple.
If someone who is not educated enough on the subject uses a laser pointer and messes their dog up, guess what - that's their problem that they now have to fix and hopefully they learn to do more research and look at more than just one source for information.
We spend too much time making every piece of information online idiot-proof already!
Everyone emailing is wasting their time imo. It's an old article not even written by Cesar. The man's running a business. You can't blame him for hiring ppl to put out new material on his site. I'm sure not everyone under him knows as much as he does about dogs. (And I'm sure laser pointers aren't "dangerous" in every single scenario. The way people are reacting to this you'd think the darn things spontaneously combust on contact with dog fur. ) You gotta make your paper some how. And the man does good work. Helps many people with their dogs. And as stated earlier on this thread, doesn't necessarily support the use of laser pointers.
Why not email someone more important on a matter that's more pressing? There are far more serious issues in the world that could use our time and efforts and people in actual power who could use our annoying emails about things that MATTER
But I mean, if you /really/ feel that strongly about laser pointers being briefly mentioned in an article- discard my advice ! It's simple guys ;)

#37 ·
Did someone say outlaw laser pointers because SOME dogs can develop OCD ?
Are we gonna outlaw light switches because of those people with OCD who turn on and off their lights 20 billion times a day?
Or maybe we should outlaw all cars now because of motor vehicle accidents?
Seems to me this is a big discussion over nothing.
Then feel free to ignore this discussion.
No one said anything about outlawing.

It is an article written by someone else that appears on his website, making many people believe he approves of this. The owner is ultimately responsible for anything posted.

If something slipped through the cracks that was not recommended and that business were mine, you bet I would want to know!

#36 ·
We have a laser pointer, we take it out for a few minutes sometimes to let Eko chase it. We just run it along the floor a couple times and he chases it, then we usually put it away and play a different game, like fetch. He likes it, no issues or OCD. My APBT, Xena, has epilepsy so I don't take it out around her.

#38 ·
Our Brittany does fine with laser pointers...but my old GSD did NOT. He had pretty serious OCD though....and I won't introduce a laser with the baby.

#39 ·
How do we know that all the dogs affected actually have OCD? Is it possible that some dogs will just want to chase everything, and beams of light are one of them? When I brought my puppy home (in the dead of winter) we were using a flashlight for potty breaks. I didn't know any better, and was letting him chase the beam - it was a great way to lead him back into the house. Except, I didn't like the obsessive energy he put into it, so I stopped. He also started to pounce on reflections from a suncatcher, so I had to redirect him from that. I guess I was training OCD behavior? He's 'normal' now, since I discontinued the light games pretty early on. Can you "create" OCD, or are you just reinforcing really bad habits?

#40 ·
Once had an Aussie pup and I started with a laser. Then she expected it to show up at any given time and was looking for it often. That is because it is silent and just shows up so the dog never knows when to expect it. I saw OCD in capital letters written all over her.Then I started with a command so she learned to only look after I announced "LASER!" and also stopped the game with "DONE!" and put it away as she saw me doing it. I think this can prevent the OCD component .
Some dogs, the fetch-nuts, act similar when there are balls lying around the house; constantly biting and carrying them.

#44 ·
Way back I had gone to a trainer who adopted (or fostered, can't remember) two Rotties who spent most of their time indoors with a drug addict stripper who used a laser pointer to entertain her dogs. Both dogs had OCD. The one was housed at diff. location, the one at the trainers would pounce on shadows...he would put both his paws together and just pound and pound the ground. Very sad.

Not sure if read on here or elsewhere, but dog going through window to get headlights of car pulling in driveway.

#49 ·
Onyx played with a laser pointer once. My son had one and he was amused at Onyx's interest in it, so played with her. I came home and saw what was happening and put a stop to it. For several days after that, Onyx kept digging at the carpet where that laser was pointed and I knew better than to ever let her be subjected to one again.
To downplay the seriousness of OCD is irresponsible. Some dogs could care less, for others it is a big deal. I'd rather not use such a thing to amuse myself or my dogs.

#56 ·
Karen Pryor calls out using a laser pointer, what does she know :)
Target Training | Karen Pryor Clicker Training

People need to realize that OCD is a disease, laser pointers DO NOT cause OCD. Dogs that do not have OCD will NOT be ruined if you decide to use a laser pointer. Key is to know your dog.
Never heard of her. Course I am not a fan of clickers or gadgets. Dogs that do not show OCD behaviors can have it come out after laser pointers are used with them. I agree it is a disease. I am NOT arguing that laser pointers cause it. I am arguing that you can make things a lot worse for your dog if it happens your dog does have the problem.

But I really don't have a dog in this fight. Knock yourself out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.