Incontinence - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Incontinence

Shadow has a problem with urinating while she sleeps at night. It is not a lot, just enough to wet the sheets a bit. At first I thought it was drool, the scent is not a strong odor. I have read that this could be the result of a spaying issue. I do plan to talk to the vet soon on it. I am wondering though, she LOVES to sleep with us... snuggling my leg like a full on body pillow, resting her head on my foot... lol Yes, it is quite the weird sleeping position... comfy!

Can I put a diaper (like the ones for in heat dogs) on her? I know I will have to wipe her with a diaper wipe when I pull it off in the morning... I think it would give me an idea how much she is actually wetting.

Anyone have suggestions on a diaper brand? I would prefer them to be washable, as I do not want to deal with reactions and such. Plus, I would think disposables would run a lot more!!

Thanks!

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 12-27-2013 at 10:20 AM.
FruitbatMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Is she spayed? NOT uncommon for spayed dogs to have this. The vet actually has pills that you can give that will fix her right up.

What You Need to Know About Spay Incontinence in Female Dogs

Dog Urinary Incontinence & Bladder Problems: Causes and Treatments

FDA Approves First Drug to Treat Urinary Incontinence in Female Dogs
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks!
FruitbatMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Here are some "natural" things you can try.
Homeopathic’s – Are derived from animal, vegetable, or mineral ingredients and works with the body to balance the problem. Specific “remedies” are used for incontinence.

Only Natural Pet Incontinence Dog Cat Homeopathic Remedy
Active Ingredients
Thyroidinum 12x
Glandula Suprarenalis 6x
Alumina 12x
Calcarea Carbonica 12x
Cantharis 12x
Causticum 12x
Hypothalmus 6x
Gelsemium Sempervirens 12x
Equisitum Hyemale 6x
Pulsatilla 12x
Pituitary 6x
Folliculinum 6x, 30x
Sepia 12x
Sabal serrulata 3x
Thuja Occidentalis 12x

HomeoPet Leaks No More Dog Cat Homeopathic Ingredients
Planto Major 6c&30c
Gelsemium Sempervirens 6c&30c
Cantharis 6c&30c
Causticum 6c&30c
Alumina 6c&30c in 20% USP alc. in purified water.

Only Natural Pet “Incontinence”: Newton Homeopathics Bladder Kidney Dog Cat
Active Ingredients: Thyroidinum 12x, Glandula Suprarenalis 6x, Alumina 12x, Calcarea Carbonica 12x, Cantharis 12x, Causticum 12x, Hypothalmus 6x, Gelsemium Sempervirens 12x, Equisitum Hyemale 6x, Pulsatilla 12x, Pituitary 6x, Folliculinum 6x, 30x, Sepia 12x, Sabal serrulata 3x, Thuja Occidentalis 12x There are 2 others with different combinations of homeopathic’s that you can try if this doesn’t work.

Herbals – Mullein Leaf – Helps to tone bladder muscles.
You can purchase a brand like Alvita Mullein Leaf Tea Bags at a health food store, steep in ˝ to 1 cup of boiling water until cold. Give 2 tablespoons of the diluted mix after the evening meal and before you let them out for the last time before bedtime . If your dog doesn’t care for it, add 1 or 2 Tablespoons of canned low salt, low fat chicken or beef broth.
OR
Purchase pure loose Mullein Leaf and brew: using 1/2 teaspoon of crushed Mullein Leaf to 1 cup of boiled water, cover and steep for 20 minutes then strain with strainer. Give 2 tablespoons of the diluted mix after the evening meal and before you let them out for the last time before bedtime.

Parsley - Adding 1/2 teaspoon of chopped fresh kale and parsley to the dog's food will help strengthen the kidneys too.

There are other herbals & homeopathic's. PM me if you'd like them.

Hope this helps!
Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Ditto has this, from being spayed, and the pill (Proin) works great. It isn't super expensive and it is chewable.

Always loved, missed, and remembered:
Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
vicky2200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Onyx started with incontinence when she was put on prednisone. I bought corn silk and it seemed to help some. But I had to give it every meal(raw fed) and she still leaked a bit. Odd(sympathy pains!) but Kacie started doing the same thing at the same time, so I put her on the corn silk too. They are dry now, and Onyx is off her pred.
Both were spayed at 6 months old and are entering the 'senior' years. Treating Canine Urinary Incontinence With Corn Silk
Old 12-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I used Proin in a "leaky" senior male, with good success. I'd try it for a month if your vet thinks it will help--you should see results quickly. Then you can refill online, if your vet will allow it--it's very inexpensive through the online pet pharmacy sites.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitbatMom View Post
Shadow has a problem with urinating while she sleeps at night. It is not a lot, just enough to wet the sheets a bit. At first I thought it was drool, the scent is not a strong odor. I have read that this could be the result of a spaying issue. I do plan to talk to the vet soon on it. I am wondering though, she LOVES to sleep with us... snuggling my leg like a full on body pillow, resting her head on my foot... lol Yes, it is quite the weird sleeping position... comfy!

Can I put a diaper (like the ones for in heat dogs) on her? I know I will have to wipe her with a diaper wipe when I pull it off in the morning... I think it would give me an idea how much she is actually wetting.

Anyone have suggestions on a diaper brand? I would prefer them to be washable, as I do not want to deal with reactions and such. Plus, I would think disposables would run a lot more!!

Thanks!
Amazing, I am going through the same exact problem with Jada. She never had an issue with incontinence until after she was spayed. She never wets herself during the day, only at night while she's sleeping. She also sleeps with us at night on top of my legs! We've actually seen her peeing in her sleep and she has absolutely no idea she is doing it. I brought her to the vet twice. The first time he checked her for a UTI, which was negative. I brought her back a second time and he suggested we put her on hormone medication. At only 11 months old I said no thank you. I'm going to give the Alvita mullein leaf tea a try as well as the Only Natural Pet Incontinence Homeopathic remedy, both of which I just ordered from Amazon. Hopefully it helps. Glad I found this thread!
Ali B. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Sib is once again having this problem.. leaking, and actually peed the bed last week...I have Proin on hand and gave her some today as I saw her licking herself, something she never does...I am reluctant to take her to her current vet cuz he ALWAYS puts her on antibiotics...and says he thinks it is the BEGINNING of a uti...But by then she had already been "leaking" for like a week or so..However, I am SO strapped for money and have already spent SO much ...what am I to do? I know..take her to a new vet..Wonder what that costs...I love her more than anything...but gosh her dr appts. cost me more than my own...
Old 12-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

WOW! Thanks for the feedback...HNY to you all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.