German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   giving needles allergy shots never got more easy (moved to health) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/386930-giving-needles-allergy-shots-never-got-more-easy-moved-health.html)

pets4life 12-26-2013 08:24 PM

giving needles allergy shots never got more easy (moved to health)

My girl is fine i get the needle in but she FLIPS when i start to press slowly the syrum into her? shes on her final RED batch so she is done the threatment.

It never got easier like i thought, is it because i am by myself doing it with a hyper active dog ? Problem is she feels wierd and will yelp when the syringe liquid starts to go into her body.

Putting the needle in her skin is the easy part its just keeping it there! wow

Did you guys have this issue also ? In a vet office setting would it be more easy?

Lucy Dog 12-26-2013 08:42 PM

Are you doing anything to distract her? Whenever any of my dogs get shots, the vet always puts some baby food down for them to lick.

They're busy licking up all the food and don't even notice the needle going in and out. It makes things very easy.

Heidigsd 12-26-2013 08:57 PM

I haven't had that reaction with either of my girls. I do go to the vet once a week for Nikki to get her shots. Do you let the vaccine warm up a little before giving her the injection?

We are getting ready to switch to the drops, have you looked into those?
Heska - New ALLERCEPT® Allergy Therapy Drops for dogs, cats, and horses.

pets4life 12-27-2013 01:46 AM

no it must be cool

I dont distract her

The vet doesnt help i dont go there, if i had a vet tech with me the shots are a breeze

the needle part is easy but the hard part is injectign it, its like she can feel it and yelps?

pets4life 12-27-2013 05:28 AM

are you guys on the red vile also? Once a month shots? does it help you feel?

huntergreen 12-27-2013 10:45 AM

i can only talk about people meds and some must be refridgerated for storage. with these meds, when given IM, it is an accepted practiced to warm them up with your hands for for a bit, may want to check with your vet about injecting while cold.

Heidigsd 12-27-2013 12:05 PM

When I say we go to the vet, the injections are administered by one of the technicians not the veterinarian :)

Red vile? Ours are labeled A & B. Heidi and Nikki both were/are treated by a dermatologist and the injections are weekly not monthly. Her dermatologist told me that you MAY can get away with giving every ten days but weekly works best. Hyposensitization therapy has helped both my girls a lot. Here are the websites to both dermatologists.

Heidi's dermatologist (Dr. Thomas Lewis):
Frequently Asked Questions | Dermatology for Animals - Part 1

Nikki's dermatologist: Intradermal Skin Testing

The sublingual drops are given twice a day but you may want to double check on that, I am getting ready to order them soon.

pets4life 12-27-2013 04:29 PM

we worked up the injections now monthly is the maitence dose

You have to do weekly for life?

Mine comes in color viles

yellow

then blue

then strongest red

I give injections the vet tech wil guide me if i am around her

onyx'girl 12-27-2013 07:46 PM

I've had Onyx on the injections, discontinued them because she was so avoiding me whenever I approached. Then I went to buy more needles and the tech must have sold me some bad/cheap ones...one broke off as I was drawing out the serum. I imagined that breaking off in Onyx's skin and it totally P'd me off! I was nearing the end of the bottle and decided that I wouldn't continue(I was not seeing any improvement or results after a year and a half)
I'm interested in the oral drops/waiting for a bit to see the effectiveness. I will invest in that if it proves to be worthy of the cost.

pets4life 12-27-2013 10:00 PM

yeah i dont even know if they work

never heard of oral drops before why didnt my vet try that?

how did you solve onxy allergy issues then?