Malassezia Dermatitis? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Malassezia Dermatitis?

Any advice for managing Malassezia Dermatitis? My friend has been struggling with skin issues with her Westie and it looks more like a yeast condition (she is going to get a second vets opinion current vet had him on steroids which apparently aggravates this condition). It looks prevalent in breeds like the Westie and also the GSD was mentioned. Most articles recommend oral Ketoconazole and shampoo like Selsun Blue. He's also on a fish diet and gets Epi-soothe shampoo baths nearly every day.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any success treating thanks in advance!
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

just going to post so this go back to the top. others that know much more than i do will be along shortly.
huntergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katerlena View Post
Any advice for managing Malassezia Dermatitis? My friend has been struggling with skin issues with her Westie and it looks more like a yeast condition (she is going to get a second vets opinion current vet had him on steroids which apparently aggravates this condition). It looks prevalent in breeds like the Westie and also the GSD was mentioned. Most articles recommend oral Ketoconazole and shampoo like Selsun Blue. He's also on a fish diet and gets Epi-soothe shampoo baths nearly every day.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any success treating thanks in advance!
Here are a few things to consider.
EPI-SOOTHE Shampoo (Virbac)

Active Ingredient(s):
Chitosanide, natural colloidal oatmeal (2%), glycerin (5%), lactic acid

If the Westie has yeast, it should not eat any grains OR be bathed in grains like oatmeal.
Chitosanide or chitosan is derived from the shells of shrimp and other sea crustaceans.
Your friends dog also eats a fish diet. Has he/she been tested for sensitivity to fish? Maybe that might be the problem? What exactly is the dog eating....kibble, treats, table food?
Could your friend put the dog on a raw meat diet for 2 months? She could purchase it commercially if she doesn't want to make it herself. This would be easy for a small dog!

For yeast, the dog REALLY needs Digestive Enzymes/ProBiotics. "Sunday Sundae" is a fantastic product! Also, Sh-emp Oil.

Sunday Sundae Nutritional Supplement

Dogs' (Wolves’) were designed to get live enzymes from the fresh prey that they killed. Their pancreas only produces a certain amount of enzymes (they didn’t need a lot b/c they ate live foods) and if they are not getting the enzymes they need from their prey’s guts and entrails, they have to get it from somewhere to be able to digest, absorb, and assimilate their food PROPERLY. Not having enough enzymes to do this can create mal-digestion and or mal-absorption in some dogs. The dog may end up only partially digesting its food in the stomach, and partially fermenting it in the gut and not absorbing all the nutrients and vitamins in the food. The dry kibble or the canned foods we feed are cooked at high temperatures so they are depleted of their enzymes and are therefore not living foods. This causes the pancreas to over tax itself trying to keep up, which can eventually weaken it allowing toxins to build up in the system. This is a key time for issues like yeast, pancreatitis, epi, diarrhea, bad breath, doggy order, allergies, arthritis, skin issues and a compromised immune system (to name a few), take hold. Many pet foods get a lot of their “protein” from grains instead of from meat. The dogs system was not designed to digest the complex proteins in grains so this is why a “grain free” diet is better for those dogs with issues. A raw diet would be the best. Also, popular pet foods have wheat, corn or fish meal in them which most likely has been contaminated with Mycotoxins, which are toxins from mold and fungi. Another thing is that most “plant products” today are Genetically Modified (GMO’s) which create inflammatory conditions. And, there are some Bacteria’s called Endotoxins which are not destroyed during the cooking process of kibble. Pet food manufacturers do not test for these toxins. These are things that can also weaken or compromise the gut and/or immune system. A dogs’ gastrointestinal system protects them from allergens. Since 70% of the immune system lies in the digestive tract, a dogs’ immune system HAS to be functioning properly to fight off the allergens. That is why Digestive Enzymes and Probiotics are so very important to your pets

You can add 2 teaspoons of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar to each meal. If the dog doesn’t seem to like it, mix the ACV first with a Tablespoon or two of low fat chicken broth, then drizzle over food. They can also make a 50/50 mix of ACV and use it as a rinse after a bath with an herbal shampoo. Rub into coat, covering the entire dog and let drip dry.

Your friend may want to consider saliva testing for food sensitivities (not the same as allergy testing) invented by Dr. Jean Dodds (researcher) NutriScan Food Sensitivity and Intolerance Test for Cats and Dogs

Reduce the yeast/fungus levels in the gut: a current and accurate thyroid test is critical to a successful re-balancing of the yeast overgrowth in the digestive tract.
Most veterinarians do not do a complete thyroid panel (5 panel test) thyroid test. You can also get a 5 panel test analyzed by Dr. Jean Dodds at www.hemopet.com. Go to hemopet.com and click on services. You will note Dr. Dodds has 4 sections with instructions and forms for you to print out and take to your vet. Your vet will draw the blood and mail it to her laboratory and she will send you the accurate results. She does a complete Thyroid Antibody Panel which includes T4, Free T4, T3, Free T# and a TGAA (thyroglobulin autoantibody) test.
Dane Lady:I really don't recommend going by your vets blood test. But if you have already gone to your own vet and they have run a T-3 and T-4 - look at the numbers, if they are in the middle (50%) range, it is considered low for the giant breeds and you must treat with thyroid meds. You must insist on it. In fact, if your dog is a large/giant breed and it comes back in the middle range say 1-10 and it reads a 5 on your dog, it means it needs to be treated with meds. Ideally a large/giant breed needs to be above the 50% range and on small active dogs it needs to be even higher than that - say on 1-10 range it would need to be a 7-8!"

This is what it says at Dr. Dodd's website:
"HEMOLIFE, provides the most comprehensive diagnostic profiles for detecting and interpreting autoimmune thyroiditis and hypothyroidism, with our specialized reference ranges. We use novel, 'green' non-RIA technology never offered before in veterinary medicine (patent pending). The Thyroid Antibody Panel (Thyroid 5™) is comprised of T4, Free T4, T3, Free T3 and TGAA. No other diagnostic laboratory offers this technology or provides clients with the detail, personal assessment, and recommendations offered by Dr. Dodds and her staff."

Hope some of this helps!

Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2013, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

thank you Momto2GSDs I sent your info to my friend
I also found this link which noted some of the same points you mentioned
Thank you again!

http://www.westiesinneed.com/Itchy-Westie-Handout.pdf
Old 01-01-2014, 12:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katerlena View Post
thank you Momto2GSDs I sent your info to my friend
I also found this link which noted some of the same points you mentioned
Thank you again!

http://www.westiesinneed.com/Itchy-Westie-Handout.pdf
My pleasure!
That is a great site you found!
Please take note of NO vaccinations for her dog. Also no flea or tick topicals to add toxins to her system.
If she would be interested in a registered Holistic Vet (like Dr. Becker) in your state, let me know and I'll post a list.
PM me if your friend needs help putting together a raw diet.
I wish your friend the best of luck with her little Westie!
Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.