German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Biting back (base of tail) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/386834-biting-back-base-tail.html)

emilybyrne 12-26-2013 04:08 PM

Biting back (base of tail)

My poor Chai has had several problems since I adopted her a couple weeks ago. But last night I woke up to her going crazy biting and licking her back right above her tail. I thought she must have a horrible itch that her legs won't reach so I started scratching it for her. But when I pulled my hand away it had a small amount of blood on it. It was dark so almost looked like it was dried but her licking had made it wet again. I can't see a wound anywhere. But there was also debris in her fur there. It looks like dirt except there are small U-shaped things also. Nothing is moving and this is the only part of her body that has this problem.

Any ideas? Could it be some type of worm/mite? Anything I can try at home before dragging her to the vet again? (Poor thing is in pain from the other medical problems and has been to the vet too many times.)

kiya 12-26-2013 04:12 PM

Could be some sort of hot spot I use a spray from my vet called Genta spray my youngest gets spots and this clears them up right away.

selzer 12-26-2013 04:14 PM

Where is your general location? I am not familiar with your description, but there may be some kind of parasite or pest that is typical in your neighborhood.

emilybyrne 12-26-2013 04:17 PM

I'm in Denver, Colorado.

I will look for a spray like that, thank you. May try some coconut oil too. It would be great for her if it was just a bad itch or dry skin as opposed to more problems.

Sunflowers 12-26-2013 04:34 PM

Typical reaction to being bitten by fleas. You may went to get a flea comb and check that area.

David Taggart 12-26-2013 04:58 PM

Wash her with shampoo as soon as you can, just be gentle with wounded area. If you walk in public areas like parks - the bases of the tree trunks are treated with insecticides late autumn-early winter. It could be some other chemicals she sat into.

DutchKarin 12-26-2013 05:08 PM

I was going to second flea reaction. This is a typical area for such reaction.

MaggieRoseLee 12-26-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflowers (Post 4725778)
Typical reaction to being bitten by fleas. You may went to get a flea comb and check that area.

It sounds exactly like fleas, but what you saw was flea 'dirt'.

You'll need to hit this on all bases if true. Flea shampoo her, then put some topical from the vet between her shoulders. Vacuum and flea bomb the house.

If fleas you need to get on it NOW cause there are fleas jumping off her and laying eggs in the house that will hatch and get everywhere. It's not just about what is walking around on your dog.

Fleas on Dogs and What You Can Do About Them | petMD

Title

Midnight12 12-26-2013 05:17 PM

I would check for fleas. They are not as common in Colorado, but this year my vet said she has seen more cases. My girl got them twice this year, and I have never had to deal with this before. Of course, if she would quit catching squirrels it might help lol

emilybyrne 12-26-2013 05:28 PM

Thanks everyone. From the petmd link on fleas and the description that definitely sounds like the issue.

I guess I know what I'm doing tonight...