Will supplements like Glandex or No Scoot help anal gland problems - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Location: NYC But have lived in many other beautiful locations
Question Will supplements like Glandex or No Scoot help anal gland problems

Bella is on Natural Balance Limited Ingredients Sweet potato & venison. She had to go on an unknown protein. I give her FortiFlora everyday plus Tylan powder and BeneBac when required ( traveling, stress, diarrhea ( which she has not had in the last year or more). Its her anal glands that need to be expressed by the Vet every month. Her stools are not terribly firm, but my Vet says sometimes its just an anatomical problem and not that unusual. I read about these additives like naturvet No Scoot and Glandex etc. Basically adding fiber. But fiber can work both ways. Even in humans. Firm up stools or make them softer. Has anyone used these products? I am not changing her food, we went through three different types after she was six months old and had awful yellow smelly stools. The unknown protein and limited ingredients she tolerates well. Advice appreciated. She is a little over three and outside of the finicky pure bred GI issues and the anal glands she is in excellent health. She does NOT like having the glands expressed, obviously, and knows the Vet is where they do that. Not a happy camper!
nygoldengirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I just had Nikki's anal glands removed two weeks ago, sounds like her and Bella had similiar problems

I don't know if those products you mentioned would help or not. We did try adding fiber (psyllium husk) to Nikki's diet and it didn't make a bit of difference. She had problems since she was a puppy and she did end up with an infection around ten months old. I think the longest we have ever gone without needing them expressed was eight weeks. Most of the time it had to be done every two weeks.

Around Aug/Sep she had another infection and we had her anal glands infused. She seemed better for about four weeks after but then problems started again and four weeks ago she had another infection. Our vet didn't want her to have surgery due to her EPI but he said it was time to get them out.

We also tried different foods (Honest Kitchen, Rabbit & Potato) but nothing made a difference. Nikki has been eating a home prepared diet for two years now and her poops are normal but she was still having issues. My first GSD who ate Eukanuba most of her life never had an issue with her anal glands even when she had an upset stomach. Here is a good article on anal gland disease: Anal Sac Infections | Dermatology for Animals - Part 1

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would consider having the glands removed.

Heidi how is Nikki doing?? Better I hope

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It wouldn't hurt to try treating with Anal Glandz.

You add some drops of it to 1/4 cup warm water, and use a paper towel or cotton round to dip into this solution, and hold it to the dog's anal area for as long as you can.

It has helped a lot of dogs, mine included.

Amazon.com: PetAlive AnalGlandz for Anal Gland Health (50ml): Health & Personal Care Amazon.com: PetAlive AnalGlandz for Anal Gland Health (50ml): Health & Personal Care
Old 12-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I would consider having the glands removed.

Heidi how is Nikki doing?? Better I hope
Much better, the additional meds really helped

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Holistic approach to anal gland problems in dogs
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.