Constant itching and hotspots - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Angry Constant itching and hotspots

i need some suggestions. my dog is 1 1/2 now and has all ways been itching him self pretty much his whole life but now its become a constant problem with hot spots and just chewing himself when ever he can. ive been doing alot of reserching on this fourm and ive have learned alot! so im thinking it is caused by an allergy. i took him to the vet for his hot spots witch was probalby when he was 7 months old and he gave me Neo-Predef (white powder stuff) to put on the wounds, so ive been using that when he had developed more hot spots.

so i was feeding him royal canine early in his life till about 13 months. then switched to Fromms gold in the blue bag for about 3 months and still no change of how he was itching. then im currently no on Zignature trout and samon grain free and still no change for itching and bitting himself. mostly at his behind/rear thigh area, rear ankles, ears, and licking his front paws from time to time.

so im kinda at a loss...is my next step raw food?

and the current meds he is on is the heartgaurd and front line topical. i was reading about this Comfortis flea med in a pill form, im not sure if i should give that a shot or not.

im open to all suggestions and i will answer all questions to the best of my knowledge. thanks

DShea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

get an allergy test.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

should i have the test done at the vet office or do one through a website?
Old 12-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

i would suggest a vet.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

My dog used to get hotspots.

I used to wash the with iodine and it worked but they came back in other areas.

But I started using neem oil and this last summer he got no hot spots what so ever. And a really hot summer and the dog is swimming every day.

I was mixing it with olive oil and rubbing on the dog every week to make sure no fleas or ticks would get on him, and there was no hot spots as well.

I also recently started going 50/50 raw/kibble. More improvements in health. Teeth are really clean and he used to have a slight temperature and now nose and ears are always nice and cool. Also poops are proper now too, used to be soft and frequent on kibble only.
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Try the comfortis. My dog Penny was on frontline or advantix and I couldnt find a flea, yet she itched and scratched and chewed and broke out. . .she was a mess. A vet suggested we try comfortis for flea allergy and it worked wonderful!! A flea allergic dog just has to have 1 bite for them to react. Try it. In the meantime, give a cool water bath, it could be medicated it you think bacteria and yeast are on the skin from the scratching, and use gold bond powder on the hotspots to dry them up.

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

www.swingsetsbydesign.com
natalie559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Madlab, was your dog just getting hot spots because of beeing in the water? was he/she itching and sctatching too?

ok i set up an appt with my vet on thursday too see what he suggest. i will keep neem oil and comfortis in mind. im hoping this will be resoved quickly! my dog Mako always has a cone on his head when ever im not at the house so he can bit him self
Old 12-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hi there!

I was hoping to hop on your thread and see if we can both get some answers together...seems we are pretty close geographically and have similar issues! Our girl Stella is about 5 y/o, we adopted her in the spring of 2012 and found her to have some trouble with itching/hot spots and switched to grain free/LID and all was well with the exception of occasional moments of itchiness...however this fall she started getting itchy and has been a wreck since...we keep going to the vet, doing round after round of steroids/antibiotics and baths and it clears for a few days then starts again...we did just toss in the towel and decide to try to raw route because I seriously cannot handle her being so uncomfortable...we've also been adding coconut oil...
Redhdmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Try nutriscan. It helped us tremendously. Also check for fleas. All it takes is one flea bite to trigger some pretty awful reactions.

NutriScan Food Sensitivity and Intolerance Test for Cats and Dogs
Old 12-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Madlab, was your dog just getting hot spots because of beeing in the water? was he/she itching and scratching too?
I don't know. People say they are due to the dogs skin being damp. Maybe they are due to some fungal or bacterial infection.

My dog got them mainly on his neck and back. He also got some on the base of his tail and on his side which he did scratch and bite until bloody.

Neem works as a anti fungal, bacterial, viral and stops pests and is good for skin and hair. So it is covering all angles.

IMO too much synthetic medication is bad for a dogs natural defense system and should be avoided. It is possible to find alternatives in nature. But people and vets love medication so they can feel they are doing whats best for the animal.

I think diet is important since i seen a change in my dogs from going 50/50 raw.
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.