German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Three toes missing, what should I know? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/385306-three-toes-missing-what-should-i-know.html)

Vlr_gmb@yahoo.com 12-22-2013 11:32 PM

Three toes missing, what should I know?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello, we have a 1 1/2 year old named Kai. When he was born, his mother bit off 3 of his toes. Now when we first got him for the first 5/6 months he was fine and it wasn't bothering him but now that he is older it is. Almost every time I take him outside so he can go run, he will come back with it bleeding and cuts it on something. Kai is walking with a limp and after so much running he will just hold his foot up more. He never wants anyone to touch it and I will rub it a littler for him very soft and he is ok with that. I want to know what to expect when he gets older? Is there anything out there that will help him, we have looked into getting him a boot for support but want to know if that's the best or only option? We took him and got it looked at and the options they gave me were, cut his foot off because it will hurt later or get a boot that will help a little. Has anyone out there had this issue? What should we do that would be best for Kai?

shepherdmom 12-23-2013 12:00 AM

I'm sorry your Kai is having to deal with this. I have never had this issue with any of my dogs, but if I were you I would think about getting a second opinion. It seems to me that there should be something more they can do without cutting off his foot. My dog had DM and we put soft boots on to protect his back feet when he was knuckling over and to help give him more traction.

Vlr_gmb@yahoo.com 12-23-2013 12:07 AM

Yes, I am not cutting his foot off, that's a big no. But yes the boot is so far the best thing. We have already made the outline to get the boot made. Thanks!

RebelGSD 12-23-2013 12:53 AM

There are companies that make custom ortho equipment that could help him. You can ask Big Dogs Big Hearts rescue. They had a dog with a foot problem.

Vlr_gmb@yahoo.com 12-23-2013 12:56 AM

Thanks, I look to see if they have anything special just for his issue.

RebelGSD 12-23-2013 01:02 AM

This company prepared a mold of the limb of the dog in question and then developed the custom ortho aid.

Vlr_gmb@yahoo.com 12-23-2013 01:15 AM

Yes, we got a boot that was mold around his as well but I'm just wanting to see if there is anything else that will work better. Because even with the boot he will feel it a little so is there anything else that would help with the pain? What about the times he isn't wearing the boot? Is his paw going to be really messed up when he is older, will he not walk on it at all later?

RebelGSD 12-23-2013 08:07 AM

I have see an aid that is like a flexible blade attached to the leg when the dog was missing the entire foot (actually all 4 feet). Similar to that what human athletes wear. It is hard to predict how well the dog will function. They tend to do well on three legs. I think it is important not to allow the dog to get overweight.

ShenzisMom 12-23-2013 08:36 AM

Maybe you could talk to a vet about your options? He might function better as a 3 legged pup :)

huntergreen 12-23-2013 08:44 AM

i agree, do not rule out removing the leg. i have seen 3 legged dogs do just fine. no more cuts and pain.