please help.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default please help....

HI we have an almost 2 year old GSD. Her past hx is that her littermate died from kidney failure at 5 months old. They said it was some sort of dog treat given, but to be on the safe side we took he into the vet and had her kidney levels checked. Sure enough.....they were borderline high. Put her on the kidney diet dog food and 6 months later rechecked and they were still the same but since she has not had any issues, the vet said just keep an eye on her.
A few weeks ago she vomited and was having diarrhea/lethargic and not eating. I took her in and they did a urine sample and I paid extra to have it sent out. Again I was told, kidney concentration was on the higher end and we needed to watch her. A few white blood cells were also present, so she got an antibiotic and a script for gastrointestinal royal canine soft food. She also had a slight bit of blood in her stool the day of the vet visit and vet said watch it, but it was probably from her stomach upset. After a few days stools and eating was back to normal.

Then Friday she started back with the diarrhea again....first one time then every couple hours with an accident in the house when I was at work. No vomiting or lethargy this time normal activity and drinking of fluids/urinating.....but yesterday small amt of blood in her stool again and it is kinda mucous like. I gave her more of the can script food and she is eating normal and today stools are soft, but not runny. However, the last time I took her out there was a blood about a nickel size in it again. Then about 20 min ago I took her to play for a bit at the dog park. She ran pretty hard and I noticed her right side of her leg was "giving out". Not that she was dizzy, but it looked like she was slipping every once in a while.
I am wondering if she pulled a muscle or if this is related to the other issues she has been having. She is not crying out in pain or anything and I brought her home to rest. I called the vet and they will not see me today. Any advice? Should I be taking her to an emergency vet or wait until I can get an appt. Is 2 years old too young to be having hip problems? Any advice is appreciated.:confuse d:
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

don't take her to the dog park. sounds like your dog is sick and you
don't want her spreading something. i think you should go to the E-Vet
and consider another Vet.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

she is UTD on all vaccines....I also make sure to clean up after her anywhere we go. We went to the dog park bc her stool was back to being soft and had not had any further diarrhea today at all. The vet didn't think she has anything "contagious" as I asked after our last visit if the dog park was okay to take her to. But thank you. =)

I actually just got back from taking her to a second vet. Bloodwork ( again!) showed her kidney values are still slightly elevated, but one has actually improved( the BUN). No signs of an infection or dehydration. She was also tested for lyme disease and was negative. As far as the gastrointestinal issues they have no idea what is going on. The blood in the stool they think is caused by straining. After neuro testing they did not see anything unusual with her gait ( go figure once we get there she stops doing it) but the vet said her temp was 104 and she may have gotten heat exhaustion from playing since it is 80 down here in FL today.

We are suppose to keep an eye on her and video any further walking issues. They are thinking the 2 problems are unrelated, but basically have no idea. Does anyone have any experience with GSD with sensitive stomach? The vet said it could be caused by stress or even her monthly dose of trifexis. It was also suggested she could be having seizures and that is what I was seeing with her gait today....however it seemed more like her legs were "giving out" rather than shaking or twitching. Advice appreciated.

Last edited by laniefly; 12-22-2013 at 03:09 PM.
laniefly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The GI problem sounds like our dog, Molly's issues. Stress would definitely aggravate her colitis, usually showed up 48 hours after the stressful event. Here's Molly's history:

True Stories: Molly | The Honest Kitchen

She's also had a knee surgery, due to partially torn ligament, it was a limp that would come and go, she would seem stiff after getting up from sleep.

The was a recent post on here about Trifexis and dog deaths, it scared me so much I just switched back to Heartguard, and will get different flea meds.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

thank you! I am going to read the link you provided now. Luna is SUPER sensitive. She gets stressed out if both my husband and I work or if she is home alone, even for a few hours she has anxiety when we leave. I am also going to do some research about the trifexis. I actually was never given an option from our vet. they said that is what they carried and it was the best form of protection so I didn't question it. We have a terrible time getting her to eat it though....she seriously hates taking it and is smart enough to pick it out of anything we hide it in. Thank you very much! I just hate the fact she has such horrible stomach issues.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

have you done a stool sample? may not be related to any kidney problems.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Get her off Trifexis.

Here is the thread with links. Also go to the Trifexis kills dogs facebook page...many have same symptom of lameness

oh, and death.

Owners blame 700 dog deaths on Trifexis
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 01:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Stress can cause bloody stools in dogs and so can parasites.
RebelGSD is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 03:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I almost started my dog on trifexis but there was to many negatives for me to justify giving it, I would rather deal with fleas then worry if my dog might be the one to have a negative reaction with Trifexis. Straining can and has caused small of blood in my dog. Have they tested for Lepto? How about any toxins?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Rocco has a very sensitive stomach too (nerves I guess). He gets diarrhea when stressed and, if really bad, will need antibiotics to treat it. One time that he had blood in his stool, it turned out to be worms (even though he had been treated), so you might want to check for that. I give him heartguard (every month) and he loves to eat it like a treat. For fleas and ticks I give him k-9 advantix II. It works fine and he doesn't need it every month because I spray the lawn occasionally. I actually haven't had to give it to him in about 4 or 5 months. I prefer not to apply flea and tick medication if not necessary.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Angelina03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.