High fever - no diagnosis - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default High fever - no diagnosis

Hi -
Allie, my 8 year old GSD, started to not want to go outside and would just lie down; she continued to eat her meals and her stool was fine. On Thursday night she was obviously deteriorating and her eyes looked glazed. I took her to the vet first thing Friday a.m. - her temperature was 105.3. She stayed in the hospital all day on IVs and antibiotics; blood work, X-rays were normal. By 5 PM her fever was down to 103.6 - they let me bring her home and had to take her back this morning - fever was 103.8. Allie seems to feel a bit better. However, we have no idea what is the cause of this. She has had these episodes of high fever which required IVs when she was around 2 years old. Allie has had complete tick panels run. I can pick her up at 1:30 today; the hospital I use since I moved to Las Vegas does not have Sunday hours but I have the doctors' cell numbers. No idea what further tests to run. Monday I will be seeing her regular vet. This is difficult as was just moved here a year ago and I have her records but not her old vet.

Any suggestions as to tests / medications / dx you might think I could discuss with the doctors.

Thank you so very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

What vet are you going to? Dr. White at Lone Mountain is fantastic. I worked there for 3 yrs.
dawnandjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

did they put her on anything?? antibiotics? Sometimes those tick panels can give false negatives.

If me, and you've run out of options with the vet, I would ask if you could put her on doxy,,I'd do an aggressive dose of 5mg per body weight twice a day for a good 4-6 weeks...I am no vet, (just thought I'd add that but that's what I would try.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am in Green Valley and am going to Legacy; Allie cannot tolerate doxy; she is on IV antibiotics and will get an injection of Baytril or Orabax today. The tick panel was run a long time ago - will discuss doing another panel. Vet has mentioned a bone marrow test - the vet in Miami had also suggested a bone marrow test. I am going to call my vet in Miami - was not going to but am really looking for any answers.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I had one a number of years ago with the same symptoms, tick panels clean. They also checked for parasite they can pick up off the ground (via nose). I don't recall what it was but he said it was more prone in Arizona and similiar climates and they saw it more in hunting dogs that had nose to ground.

Anyway, mine ended up having auto immune disease. I personally think it was triggered from vaccines as it started shortly after his 1yr booster. It was identified through chest xrays (in his lungs). He was in the 'hosptial' on IV several times, sent home with shots and nothing would keep his fever down. They ended up putting him a high dose of pred for a while then tapered down gradually until he was on 5mg every other day for life. No vaccines after (per the vet). That controled it. Sadly I lost him to bloat at 6.5 yrs.
GSDAlphaMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

I spoke to Allie's vet in Miami; he said she has been having this syndrome of high fever for many years. After I got your post above, I recalled a chest X-ray that was suspicious but cannot locate those records; this chest x-ray showed nothing unusual but I am going to discuss this with my regular vet on Monday at 9:30 a.m. when I take Allie in for a follow up. I did google autoimmune high fever dogs and came up with other dog owners who have gone through the same thing. Thank all of you for your posts. Will keep you informed re causes.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

Valley fever

Valley Fever in Dogs - Symptoms, Treatments and Tips for Prevention
truckola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

do the bone marrow test.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckola View Post
This was the first thing that popped into my mind when I read the message.

Years ago when my parents lived in AZ both my mother and OES caught Valley Fever (both lived, but meds were expensive back then ... don't know what they use or the cost is today).
Old 12-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

I had Valley Fever years ago and was very sick - got it when I was filming in the Utah area near Nevada. Based on my illness and how sick I was and the fact Allie had the same problem in Miami, I do not think it is Valley Fever but will ask the vet. Why the bone marrow test? I hate to put her through the procedure.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.