Severe Itchiness that BAFFLES vet - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2013, 01:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Severe Itchiness that BAFFLES vet

My GSD Panzer has been battling some form of allergies or skin disorder since a young pup. I've spent thousands of dollars on tests and medication and nothing seems to be working.

His skin is almost always red and irritated, and often takes on a black scaly texture in certain areas. He rubs his face constantly on the furniture to the point where the poor thing bleeds! He's itched off his belly and underarm and neck hair.

This usually goes away for a little while with a string of prednisone and antibiotics but fairly shortly after he's taken off it he gets another flare up.

I submitted his blood for allergy testing from Spectra Labs and they determined he's allergic to almost everything. Potatoes, Peas, Pork, fleas, house flies, nuts, certain trees, grass, and much more. His ears are constantly bothering him and get some sort of yeasty build up. I try to control it with the use of KetFlush which was provided by the vet.

To attempt to alleviate his symptoms he has been taking regular homeopathic allergen injection shots but they don't seem very effective, even now as he approaches the highest dosage concentration.

We also changed his dog food to one that doesn't contain any known allergens, and give him ONLY fresh spring water to drink. I'm at a complete loss here. He's been previously treated for allergy flare ups with prednisone and also the yeast with special shampoos and pills.

They checked him for mites with a sample under a microscope, and was told they didn't find anything. They also examined him for fleas and said he was clear.

I just want him to be healthy and happy. He's almost 2 years old and I've had to stop his training due to his health issues and I also have to walk him on pavement and avoid dog parks for fear the allergens will cause a flare up.

Please help. I've run out of idea's to try, and I'm still no closer to understanding what's wrong with my dog. Any insights or ideas?
gibby913 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 02:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Does he smell odd -- like sweaty socks? I'm wondering if it's as a systemic yeast infection. Is that something the vet already tested and ruled out?

The reason I wonder is this: with several fosters, a vet told me itchy, black patches of skin and stinky smell was a yeast infection on the skin. On the vet's recommendation, a bottle of medicated shampoo like KetaChlor (chlorhexadene/ketoconazole) has worked wonders for several dogs (we often have to shampoo every few days for a while). It's a cheap solution too.

Last edited by Magwart; 12-21-2013 at 02:29 AM.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

sounds like malassezia , systemic yeast infection - treat inside and outside - must do both.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=malas...w=1097&bih=483

shampoo with a sulfur enhanced degreasing product - Mane N Tail PROTECT , Selsun Blue fortified --
treat skin with USNEA safe internally and externally - a strong anti fungal , immune support

add MSM - organic sulfur to diet

look to over all quality of diet --- Not so much about allergens than it is about grains , sugars (humectants) - poor quality protein , not enough overall quality to support a struggling immune system.

coconut oil massage on skin , coconut oil in diet -- the higher the lauric acid content the better. Not all coconut oil is equal.

have helped many dogs like this over the years . I wonder why your vet is baffled ?

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

These people got it right. But it takes perseverance

Nzymes Healthy-Skin Program for Yeast Overgrowth | Nzymes.com
Old 12-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I also agree with everyone.
Here are 2 other things you can try.

*A 50/50 mix of Apple Cider Vinegar and Purified Water rinse after a bath. Pour on and work into coat/skin in small patches, eventually covering the whole dog. Do not rinse, let drip dry. (It will burn if used on broken skin)
*Listerine Recipe For Dry/Itchy Skin
I know it sounds greasy, but it’s really not! Works well on dogs with skin issues, hot spots, dandruff, and dry skin.
In a clean spray bottle add 1/3 cup of baby oil, 1/3 cup of original Listerine (the gold colored one) and 1/3 cup of water. Shake the bottle to mix, spray lightly on dog and work into coat. Repeat during the week when you see that it has absorbed. Always shake mixture before spraying pet.

I'm sure your vet told you that in Homeopathy, it gets worse before it gets better (most of the time) but also in a small percentage of dogs, it just doesn't work.

I'm curious if your vet has considered SLIT (Sublingual Immunotherapy) In some dogs, this will work better than the injections.

Heska - New ALLERCEPT® Allergy Therapy Drops for dogs, cats, and horses.
http://www.heska.com/Documents/Aller...y-for-Dogs.pdf
A New Approach to Immunotherapy | Dermatology for Animals - Part 1
Sublingual Immunotherapy | Pet Allergy Treatment Advances

"Allergy drops work on the underlying cause of allergies, the immune system, to desensitize the patient."
The antigen's are combined on an individual basis, and administered buy a pump spray bottle, in the mouth, allowing the soft tissue to absorb it. Then the dosages are increased gradually until the patient develops a tolerance to the allergy causing substance.

Have you tried a raw diet?

I hope you find the answer. This sounds like it's been very trying for both of you!
Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

I am facing the exact same thing. Phoenix has HORRIBLE flea allergies, and the fleas are VEEEERRRRRY hard to control at my house, we have carpet and clutter... But I have waged war on the fleas. I am posting mostly to see what others have said, as I have no ideas other than getting to the bottom of whatever the issue is.
(By the wa, I am using KetaChlor, and it works very well. It has steroids in it to help the skin, and it works very well, but only as long as the bottle lasts...)
+ Donkey, more dogs, chickens, goats, cats and more dogs!!
PhoenixGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Forgot to mention that you can use the ACV in your dogs food and drizzle over the kibble! If your dog doesn't like it, add a little non fat Chicken Broth to it, if he is not sensitive to chicken. Or you can add it to the water bowl.
  • 35 lbs to 84 lbs - 1 tbs;
  • 85 lbs to 134 lbs - 1.5 tbsp;
  • 135 lbs to 200 lbs – 2 tbsp.
Or, 1 Tablespoon per 16 ounces of water.

I know you did "allergy tests" but you may want to consider testing by Dr. Jean Dodds, called NutriScan. NutriScan Food Sensitivity and Intolerance Test for Cats and Dogs.

This test measures antibodies to certain foods in dog saliva. High antibody levels indicate that the dog has a food sensitivity and intolerance to that food or foods. Food intolerance or sensitivity is actually quite common whereas food allergy is rare. In fact, food intolerance is the third most common sensitivity condition in dogs and often can be easily remedied with a change in diet.Dr. Jean Dodds, NutriScan tests for the twenty most commonly ingested foods by dogs to provide you with specific results as to your dog's food intolerances or sensitivities. Since it is a salivary test, you have the convenience to complete the test at home or at your veterinarian’s office. Best of all, you can have the results in approximately two weeks to help you put your dog on the right diet.
NutriScan is novel and patented and is not testing for food allergies, but rather tests for food sensitivities and intolerance. These are different body immune responses. Food allergy is a more immediate reaction mediated by production of IgE and IgG antibodies. Food sensitivity and intolerance, by contrast, measures a more delayed body response to offending foods by measuring production of IgA and IgM antibodies primarily in mucosal secretions from the bowel.”

I'd get both panels done if you decide to do this.

Moms

Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

another option for treatment is collodial silver....silver shield gel or silver in liquid form. Silver Shield Gel l Natural Antibiotic | Natures Sunshine Products
you can google for more information, I am just posting the top link on a google search.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Levi had allergies when he was younger and we switched him to a raw diet which helped immensely (he had environmental allergies as well). The allergy shots weren't
working for him, which is why I switched (and then we were able to take him off the shots).

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Levi vom Grunenfeld, RIP 9/5/04 - 3/4/13
mspiker03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

When my shepherd itches to the point where hair falls off and skin turns black due to either some environmental allergy or insect bites (she likes to run into bushes on hikes with my blessing) I've applied the ACV and rubbed coconut oil as mentioned by other posters. It has worked great to decrease the itch and they all heal nicely. I learned to do that from this forum.

Last edited by Bear L; 12-21-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: typo
Bear L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.