German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Rimadyl or Deramaxx? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/384554-rimadyl-deramaxx.html)

Springbrz 12-20-2013 10:53 PM

Rimadyl or Deramaxx?

So Ziva (9.5 mo. old) had a pretty hard skid out playing with the hubby a few days ago. We checked her over and she seems ok, just moved a bit slower for the evening. Next day she seemed fine. But then she started to limp ever so slightly. One our walk yesterday the limp got noticeably worse, but not so that she couldn't continue. She still wanted to chase the squirrels and play/jump in the water. She would run. Last night during the night she got sick and vomited bile. I noticed she was limping more and seemed a bit whiny. So, off to the vet.
Vet said it could just be soft tissue or Pano. Vet wanted to give her Rimadyl for a week and reduced activity to see if she improved (if not, x-rays). I have had senior arthritic dogs (1 with HD) on Rimadyl in the past and had issues with liver and kidney function. I said I wasn't a fan and she said ok and offered Deramaxx. She said she preferred it. Little did I know it was soooo expensive.
My question is: Does anyone have experience with both and do you feel Deramaxx is safer/better than Rimadyl. Or in the future should I save myself a lot of money and go with Rimadyl?

I realize I am asking for opinions/personal experiences. And, that ultimately it's my decision. I appreciate any input.

mycobraracr 12-20-2013 11:09 PM

I use Rimadyl when needed. I would just keep your dog on strict rest. Only use Rimadyl when needed (dog in a lot of pain), not every 4 hours like the bottle says. Also for future reference, look into Duralactin. It's a milk based product that is safe to use every day.

arycrest 12-20-2013 11:14 PM

I had one mega bad experience with Deramaxx and will NEVER use it again. Currently Tramadol has been my pain reliever of choice for the past few years.

BahCan 12-20-2013 11:35 PM

Like Arycrest, I also had a Very Bad experience with Deramaxx and will never use it again

shepherdmom 12-21-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Springbrz (Post 4705242)
So Ziva (9.5 mo. old) had a pretty hard skid out playing with the hubby a few days ago. We checked her over and she seems ok, just moved a bit slower for the evening. Next day she seemed fine. But then she started to limp ever so slightly. One our walk yesterday the limp got noticeably worse, but not so that she couldn't continue. She still wanted to chase the squirrels and play/jump in the water. She would run. Last night during the night she got sick and vomited bile. I noticed she was limping more and seemed a bit whiny. So, off to the vet.
Vet said it could just be soft tissue or Pano. Vet wanted to give her Rimadyl for a week and reduced activity to see if she improved (if not, x-rays). I have had senior arthritic dogs (1 with HD) on Rimadyl in the past and had issues with liver and kidney function. I said I wasn't a fan and she said ok and offered Deramaxx. She said she preferred it. Little did I know it was soooo expensive.
My question is: Does anyone have experience with both and do you feel Deramaxx is safer/better than Rimadyl. Or in the future should I save myself a lot of money and go with Rimadyl?

I realize I am asking for opinions/personal experiences. And, that ultimately it's my decision. I appreciate any input.

Rimadyl did nothing for my old guy. Metacam was what finally helped him. If your vet will prescribe you can get it generic from human pharmacy. I pay $6 for 45 tablets.

Colie CVT 12-21-2013 12:40 AM

As with others, and with where I work, I am not a fan of Deramaxx, nor will I use it again on my dogs.

Kenai, my first GSD, had a sensitive gut. Rimadyl and Previcox gave her some GI issues. After 3 doses of Deramaxx, she stopped eating and starting drinking/urinating more. When I tested her bloodwork a few days after I stopped the Deramaxx, her kidney values were increased. Thankfully a heavy hit with fluids and careful switching of foods saved her kidneys for another 3 years, but I told the company about it.

The vast majority of perforated guts we see where I work come from Deramaxx too. So it doesn't take much to not like it.

I prefer Rimadyl/carprofen and meloxicam/metacam to any other NSAID. Tramadol is nice, but it's a synthetic opioid and doesn't do much for inflammation. It covers just pain. In combo with other drugs it helps more than anything else. I also tend to like using the lower than recommended dosing personally when it comes to using Rimadyl, and only use it when you really need it. :)

Since your kid's a baby, things like joint supplements, fish oil, vitamin C. They could probably all help out tremendously. Kenai did wonderful for the longest time with the joint food she was on. It wasn't until 8 years old when her HD got so bad she needed a THR. Certain exercises and physiotherapy can be really helpful too with joint pain/problems.

Gretchen 12-21-2013 12:48 AM

We've only tried Rimadyl for the same type of injury and after surgery. Since your dog is young I think it should be fairly safe for short term use, 1-2 weeks. We give with food so there are no GI issues, but our dog has a history of colitis and the last time we gave Rimadyl for 3 days, 2x a day, her colitis acted up, but she seems to be OK for occasional treatment on it.

BahCan 12-21-2013 12:54 AM

Colie CVT.....Perforated gut is what it did to my dog in 5 days, it almost killed him.

Magwart 12-21-2013 12:55 AM

I've used both on my senior. An old vet once told me he thought Deramaxx was safer, but that was years ago when it was a new product. My current, different vet says he's seen no fewer adverse reactions on one NSAID than another --so he recommended we go with the cheaper one (Carprofen/Rimadyl). I order my dog's Carprofen with his prescription from KVSupply.com (60 tabs of generic 100 mg tabs are $35, with free shipping).

Don't skimp on bloodwork!!!! Get baseline kidney and liver values (blood work) before starting, then a few weeks after starting, as recommended by your vet. I give Carprofen with food, and monitor, monitor, monitor for GI upset. Get the dog back to the vet immediately if it occurs!

You might also ask the vet about a combination of Carprofen and Tramadol to get your dog through the acute injury -- they apparently work great together, so with the combo your vet might possibly be able to consider whether a lower dose of Carprofen might still be effective pain management. That's a decision only your vet can make, but it's a conversation to explore. (Tramadol is another human generic the vet can call into your human-pharmacy pretty cheaply.)

Springbrz 12-21-2013 08:00 AM

Thanks for everyone's input so far. The vet only prescribed the Deramxx for 6 days. Ziva has only had one dose so far. I will watch her closely for GI and kidney symptoms. I'm thinking I should have gone with the Rimadyl even though I'm not a fan of it, either. I wish they had something better/safer for inflammation in dogs.:(