Sabo- problems with neutering. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Sabo- problems with neutering.

Sabo was neutered last Tuesday. Friday the scrotum and incision looked horrible- inflamed red, swollen and smelly. We went to the vet that did the neutering and they didn't prescribe antibiotics, just gave some different sedatives to keep him calm (that vet said they were irritated from movement).

Saturday went to another vet(our usual vet), He got antibiotics and an NSAID. Follow up was today. Looks MUCH better, but the incision needed to be cleaned out. When the vet was checking it out, Sabo tolerated it for a second and then snapped- it was half hearted and almost a warning snap and snarl. The vet wanted to take him to the back and have it cleaned out, but because he snapped I was worried he'd try to bite! (We've come to this vet before and he loves the people there, shoulda taken him here to be neutered....different thread for that though)

I talked to the vet and they tranquilized him (I was really concerned he'd stress and hurt himself or someone else) and are keeping him over night (not charging me for the over night either).

I feel HORRIBLE. I know neutering is healthier....but I swear, I'm never doing it again. My poor boy has been on lock down for almost a week and a half. Sedatives aren't keeping him down, so he's going NUTS! This is miserable for everyone involved.

I've tried to play tug with him, and use it as a "self control" exercise...stay laying down, get up, game over. I've given him Kong's, bones, sat there and just pet him while talking quietly, given him ice...it's all just so horrible!!!!

When they gave him the tranquilizer I almost lost it because all the bad memories of when my last shepherd was put to sleep came flooding back. It was just a nightmare!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sabo's Blog (I'm nuts)
erfunhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Poor buddy I hear so many comments that neutering is a simple procedure, no biggie. When in fact it's very invasive with a longer recovery than portrayed by some. My boy was neutered at 3 last summer for an ongoing prostate issue. I'm happy to report the prostate issue is no more but it took a lot longer for him to heal. I know he was very uncomfortable during that time. It was hard keeping him on down time.

I hope your boy starts to heal faster. I honestly just crated him, took him out on the leash. I found it easier than trying to entertain him. If he was in his crate he knew it was time to just rest. Good luck.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

He has a "Harry potter" cabinet under our stairs. I'm sure he'd still fit in his crate, but that darn cone won't. It won't allow him to turn and get comfortable. I don't want him in there alone either, so we all take turns hanging out with him. Ugh. Poor baby. I swear, never again.

Attached Thumbnails
Sabo- problems with neutering.-1387591268657.jpg  
Sabo's Blog (I'm nuts)
Old 12-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I ended up cutting a inch or two off the cone so it didn't stick out as far. The worst days for him was starting on day 4 post surgery.

Good idea for a space under the stairs! If it wasn't for his prostate issue I would have never neutered.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 10:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

He started being really dog aggressive with a dog that we know and is his age...and since I wasn't going to breed...I figured I might as well do it (along with instituting other training measures)....he's just miserable and is turning into more of a frustrated barker. Today going into the vet He was barking up a storm and had a "yelling match" with a boxer. Its sounded awful, but no hackles, he was just excited with lots and lots of pent up energy...and the boxers owner says "come on girl, you aren't a fighter"....well neither is Sabo! He's a giant puppy with a week and a half work of energy! Ugh. I'm just gonna move to Alaska and avoid everyone.

Sabo's Blog (I'm nuts)
Old 12-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I hear you. We went through the infected scrotum when Grim has his neuter due to enlarged prostate at 8. It is a lot harder on a dog who has had them removed after they have been fully developed. Grim was so patient he took to the draining like a trooper but I could tell it really hurt. I am certain Beau would take someone's hand off for the same process.

If, for some reason, Beau ever winds up neutered, I am going to demand pain killers and antibiotics before he goes back. So sorry you went through this.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I like to go to my vets for everything unless they refuse to do it (heart surgery, etc). I have never seen a neuter problem in a dog my vets have done, and have seen 3 neuters (out of hundreds of them) in other fosters' dogs have issues, one was definitely something that the vet did (in my mind). So it is always odd to read that this happens - and I wouldn't beat myself up for something that doesn't normally happen, that is being treated and won't impact him in the future. He's got one of the sweetest faces in the world!!!
Old 12-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Stosh was neutered at 20 mos. I wish I hadn't done it. We had no issues at all but since we go to herding trials and travel with him and board him at times I figured it was the right decision. He had a great deal of swelling so I had to do 20 mins of hydrotherapy each day. That worked well.
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

:O This solidifies my decision to never neuter Berlin!

Hope Sabo is healed up in no time!

Rogue "Tesla" von Huerta Hof
gsdlover91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks for the support guys. He's back from the vet, it looks so much better! She gave the OK to increase the sedative as we need to, so he's much slower and resting better. He enjoyed his dinner this morning.

One more week approximately. She said once the scab closes over he's good to go.

Sabo's Blog (I'm nuts)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.