Knuckling unable puppy to walk 1month? (URGENT) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2013, 03:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Knuckling unable puppy to walk 1month? (URGENT)

I visited 3 vets and nothing helped yet, thus all suggestion would be gladly welcome..

My 3 months female gsd puppy can't walk for around 1 month already.

Summary: No issue with the dog since its birth until it reached around 7 weeks. (It suffered from a gastro for 2 weeks and it was placed on IV)
After recovering it walked(but unable to run) for around 1 week then one day it woke up, the 2 back legs was weak and could not walk (but could sit), the day after, the 2 front legs too got affected and could not even sit. After around 2 weeks, the front legs started to develop a knuckling type : Knuckling Over and HOD - Developmental Orthopedic Disease | GREATDANELADY.COM (like the level 4 one) and it hurts the puppy when try to put it straight!

Genetics: The vet told me its maybe genetics but.. The mother is mine and the father is for a friend, i know the grandparents too and they never got any similar issues.

Treatment used: On the start, the vet started a calcium program, since he told me its a lack of calcium the cause or maybe an injury so we treated those two possibilities. After around 2 weeks when the knuckling started, the vet told me to stop the calcium and we did a blood test. The result revealed that the calcium is okay but the puppy suffered from anemia. To correct the atrophy in the front legs, the vet put a steroid injection in both legs and an iron injection to correct the blood level. But no improvement happened. The actual treatment i am trying is doxicycline, because i found it tick could create an ehrlichiosis which may cause progressive paralysis from back legs to front legs and it could anemia too. The issue is that my puppy never got any ticks, thus i am not very confident about it and also the knuckling part is quite abnormal

What i am thinking is an advanced condition of knuckling over but the vet told me its not case. Do you think its possible guys? Anyway i will try it by my own but in my country we don't have spoon splint, anyone know where i can get it online with worldwide shipping?

My puppy remains in the house and thus walk on tiles, that why i am thinking its knuckling since i just read that the ligaments, muscles and tendons cant develop properly on this kind of surface. Moreover with the fact that my puppy did not eat for 2 weeks because of the gastro..

By the way i give proplan purina to my puppy, do you think i should switch to royal canin? At this moment i'm mixing it with chicken liver since my puppy has anemia too.
topher004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I don't have much to help you but where do you live? This sounds like another country where food choices and vet quality may be limited...so before we get too deep......

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

If you really think that website with the knuckling over is what you are seeing, there is alot of information there I'd be trying to follow.

Can you splint your puppy?
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 02:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I don't have much to help you but where do you live? This sounds like another country where food choices and vet quality may be limited...so before we get too deep......
I live in Mauritius, a little island in the Indian Ocean.
For the food choices we have proplan purina, proplan dog chow, Happy dog, Pedigree and Royal Canin. The two best one here proplan and royal canin.
Anyway suggestion?
Old 12-21-2013, 02:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
If you really think that website with the knuckling over is what you are seeing, there is alot of information there I'd be trying to follow.

Can you splint your puppy?

I'm not 100% sure, since on the website, it was not mentioned about progressively paralysis from back legs to all the legs and last to knuckling.

I don't have a splint yet, i tried with a "ruler" but after i attached it with a band to its legs, the paws twice volume after a few hours. I guess because of the pressure. I am looking on ebay but not much success.

And since we did so many treatment already without much success, it's really sad to see a puppy in this condition :-/ So i'm trying to get the more information i can to heal it..
Old 12-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

could it be some type of tick paralysis???

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
could it be some type of tick paralysis???

did not find any tick on it..

i'm trying the doxycline treatment for 5 days now and no sign of improvement yet. hope its a tick
Old 01-02-2014, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

okay sorry for little spam here but still no result.
some friends are telling me to give up and let her go, but
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.