Could use some help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Could use some help

Man, if itís not one thing itís another. First hereís an update on Ridley; she had an UTI, the vet gave us some antibiotics and she is doing great, back to her crazy self and happy as ever. Well now itís our other dog, Abel. Heís a 3 year old Great Dane that weíve had since he was 8 weeks old, our big, goofy, loving, lap dog. Well about a month ago I noticed he started losing weight, I thought it was because Ridley was keeping him active and playing. So I upped his food an extra half cup every feeding (2 meals a day). After a week he was still losing weight so I upped it again another half a cup a feeding. Another week goes by and heís still losing weight and was sleeping a lot, again I thought it was just because the pups play a lot so we talked about taking him to the vet soon to see whatís going on. Well about 4 days ago Abel started to smell really bad, so we gave him a bath but the smell was still there. It wasnít his fur; it was more this breath or his farts. Now I know dog breath and farts doesnít exactly smell like roses but this smell is different, it almost smells like dead animal. So last night we put all the clues together and were taking him to the vet first thing tomorrow morning. We pretty scared as to what the vet will find. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? If you know, donít sugar coat it, I need to know and prepare for what might happen because if worse comes to worse I need to be strong for my wife. Itís our first dog and if itís bad itís gonna hit us both hard.
Breitbach343 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

what color is the poop?
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Breath, have you checked his mouth over, checking for abscess, broken teeth, or ulcers? Sorry just guessing.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Is he eating all that food with gusto?

If so, he may have EPI. He needs a blood test and you have to fast him for, I think, 12 hours prior to the blood test. They need to do a full blood panel, checking for SIBO, EPI, Vitamin B, because those all go together.

If his breath is stinky, is he eating poop? If he is very hungry -- EPI is an inability to digest the food, so it goes through without the nutrients, and the dog eats more, gets skinnier, is hungry, eats more, gets skinnier, will eat anything.

If it is EPI, there is a fix for this. You will need enzymes, your vet can tell you what, and then come back, and we can tell you where you can get them cheaper. But the enzymes need to go on the food with some warm water, and sit for 20 minutes minimum, before giving it to the dog.

Some dogs have SIBO and or a Vitamin B deficiency, and those need to be treated as well.

It can be treated and it is not necessarily terribly difficult to treat. If it is EPI. Have your vet check for it.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Don't panic. Been there, done that. Do Not panic until you have all the tests.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Could be a bad tooth causing bad breath. He's kind of young for that. But if he injured one. I have heard of a dog having a peice of stick wedged up in their mouth, and rotting causing odor too.

Heidi, RA CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 12-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

My guess is some kind of worm. Common in dogs is the tapeworm which they get by eating an infected flea. They eat whatever the dog eats and since this happens, the lack of calories is making him tired and sluggish. It is easy to treat but needs to be treated. I would look for irritation around the anus. You can look up other symptoms online. Best wishes at the vet tomorrow.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
brittanyb28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

He eats everything super-fast, always has. If you put it in front of him, heíll eat it. He has been eating all his food but not his poop, I let them outside and watch them until they are done then let them back inside. His poop is like a light tan color. I havenít checked its mouth or teeth, I cleaned them about 2 months ago and everything looked good. I do hope itís something like worms, my friend had to put his 2 year old lab down because of caner and his dog showed the same symptoms but started vomiting later. Thanks guys. Abel Hasnít started vomiting. Thanks guys
Old 12-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would fast him and have them do bloodwork for EPI. Take a stool sample so they can look for parasites.

Heidi, RA CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 12-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I would fast him and have them do bloodwork for EPI. Take a stool sample so they can look for parasites.
Ok ill feed him after the vet. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.