Anyone ever have problems with Puppy eye drainage? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone ever have problems with Puppy eye drainage?

Hey guys, have you ever had a GSD pup that had some eye drainage? My male GSD is 13 weeks old and currently on Blue brand Adult Chix and rice. The treats I use in training is Blue brand treats....Both the kibble and treats are chicken based. The drainage is clear in color. Both his eyes look good. No redness and look normal. I'm guessing it's probably a food allergy....I hope. Seems like it started when I started going heavy on the treats with marker training. He has snuck a couple of those small chew sticks with a center filling in them...We give them to our Shih Tzu at times.,...Not for sure if these are rawhide based or not....Don't have the package anymore...The occasional graham cracker he vacuums up after the our 1.5 year old son drops it....

I'm going to cut everything out, minus the kibble for a few days. Or will I need to do this for a longer period of time to see any results? His eye drainage is accompanied with scratching. I took him to the breeders kennel 2 days ago to get his tattoo and another vaccination....Let him be around the big dogs...He was a little hesitant at first, but he kept pushing forward and ended up doing great. He got to mingle with one of the older GSD mommies (one of the breeders personal protection dogs) ...It was a good experience for him,,,Minus the tattoo... That part was horrible...But he did awesome ...Sorry, I got off track......

She looked over his eyes, cleaned his ears and showed me how she cleans them....She wasn't too concerned with the eye drainage. I'm not either, but I'm determined to find the cause.

How long does it take to see results after cutting the possibilities out? Instant, 2-3 days or weeks? (if one of them happens to be the cause).
Jmoore728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm not sure in your case. My pup had a nasolacriminal occlusion. Basically, the tear ducts were blocked in both eyes. Your vet can do a dye test (dye is put in eyes and should then show up in the nasal passages. Mine did not). He gave him on antibiotic ointment for his eyes but told me that realistically, that although that is the first treatment normally tried, it doesn't usually work and the dogs always have the issue.

Fortunately for me, it actually DID clear mine up and he's had no more than the normal occasional eye matter since. Before the treatment, I had to constantly wipe his eyes. It didn't bother him, but drove me crazy!
Old 12-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Onyx was a puppy during the frigid cold months...and she had weepy eyes. I thought it was from the cold, but after taking her to the vet(vet suggested giving clear eye's drops) I blamed the issue on her teething. She was about the same age as your puppy when it started, and lasted about a month during the heavy teething stage.
As it was a clear discharge, we knew there was no infection~ conjuctivitis has the goopy consistency and it wasn't conjuctivitis.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It might be an intolerance to chicken too. My puppy had the same thing going on, but I never thought to switch his food until other problems came up.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

My pup had watery eyes when he was young, after getting my pup away from grains and chicken, all of the problems went away from eyes to fur to skin. He is on TOTW Salmon
Old 12-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

What Neko and Blanketback said. I didn't realize it wasn't normal until we put Revy on a novel/limited ingredient food and took away all treats to deal with diarrhoea and skin issues. Suddenly her eye gook went away too. Turned out to be the rawhides and treats we were giving her.

Janet

My pack:
Revy (Zanka vom Blackgold Pen): Female GSD born March 2013
Sweetie: Female black cat, born 2004
Plus a husband and a couple of teenagers
Suburbandiva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

For treats we use Zukes salmon
Old 12-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

We have been buying Blue brand Chix treats....A few days ago I bought Nukes (sp?) chix....That's all they had at the time,,,,Lastnight I boiled a roast and chopped it into pieces to use for treats.....

I've read numerous conflicts that people have had with Chicken....If it doesn't clear up, I will switch to a new meat source for his kibble. I think Blue makes a salmon based on,,..

The only place to buy quality kibble in my city is from Tractor Supply or Pet Sense...The Zukes treats were pricy....I thi they were $8.99.... Maybe it was $11.99..... Blue brand treats are $4-$6.... Depending on which one.....The cost doesn't bother me much, I want to feed him the best possible diet...Hopefully after he gets older, I can try the raw diet again,,,,I tired for about a week, but I was scared to death that I wasn't giving him the proper nutrients....I honestly believe it's the best choice....I will give it another shot down the road.
Jmoore728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yes we did, caused by chicken and turkey
Old 12-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

maybe the "blue food" isn't for him, try another.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.