german shepherd epilepsy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default german shepherd epilepsy

Hi everyone,

i am saikat bhattacharya from India and i own a German shepherd named mojo(age 2yrs 7months) who is now suffering from epilepsy and therfore seek for your advice for the same.

he was a completely healthy dog but on 14th of December(evening) while having excessive water from his bowl he collapsed in my hand while i was sitting beside him,i caught him and found that his whole body has gone stiff and he went into some sort epileptic attack and didn't moved for some half an hour or so.We rushed in for the vet but he was out of town and since it was a Saturday night evening nobody wanted to come at our home so the vet told us to give sorbitrate under his tongue and also one injection of decdan and rantac and we did the same after calling for a nurse.After like an hour he started moving but to no avail,he started all this senseless movements and started chewing the bed sheet and even the floor and the whole time we wondered about him getting attacked by epilepsy.after few hours he slept off but was still moving his head while sleeping.At 2a.m. in the morning while sleeping on my bed he again made a sound like(aargh) and again his whole body became stiff and no movements anywhere.after like half an hour he started moving his frontal legs but his back legs were not moving and his teeth started chewing whatever he could and his gums were bleeding because of the same reason. the whole night he fought with the disease and started moving his head upwards and upwards while laying down.At 7a.m. he went to sleep and then we took him directly to another vet who was available and he told he is suffering from epilepsy and he told us this might be because of distemper(don't know what it is) or even neurological disorder but we did a check on his injection dates and found out he has already got the distemper injection done few months back.The doctor gave him Methylcobalamin and saline and within an hour his epilepsy disappeared and he slept off and also he gave him eptoin and lonasep.after like two days he is fine but again through all the time his back legs are not working.

He is having normal food since then and there are no signs of epilepsy till now but he has lost control of his back legs but from day before yesterday he can move his legs and his tail but he is not able to stand and he is peeing anytime when we try to change his sitting posture and he has no control of the same.is this a sign of diabetes? and will we he be able to stand ever because we definitely see movements on his legs while he is sitting supporting his two legs only.please we seek your advice because there has been people suggesting me to put him to sleep but i will never do that because he is more than a pet to us.He is familia and since 13th we are unable to see his cute face suffering like this and we are helplessly crying.please we beg for your advice and suggestion.please help!
saikatrist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sorry to hear about your dog, I am not sure of some of the drugs you mentioned. I have a female that has had seizures since she was 18 months old. I belong to a group that has a lot of support Canine Epilepsy Resources check it out unfortunately canine epilepsy is common these days.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

thank you for your quick reply and i am checking the site but please would you tell me that your dog was able to stand after the seizure?because mojo is unable to do the same since 13th of this month.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

In Kiya's case, yes she could stand. With her she had her first seizure then 2 days later she "clustered" which means she kept having them. I had brought her to the vet that morning where they began a loading dose of phenobarbital. I had to bring her home that night because no one stayed at the vets office overnight. She was so drugged up she could barely stand then it became the opposite she paced all the time.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

More info on Seizures:
The Surprising Connection Between Pet Collars and Seizures

Dog Seizures and Vaccination

Vaccinating Dogs: What Your Vet Hasn't Told You

" Even if your dog in the past has had no discernible negative response to vaccinations, each time you vaccinate unnecessarily, you put your dog at greater and greater risk, since each vaccination is yet another assault on your dog's immune system. Dogs who are ill, as epileptics certainly are, already have major challenges to their immune system, just dealing with epilepsy. They are therefore more susceptible to an adverse reaction to vaccinations, which further compromise an already compromised immune system." Canine Epilepsy-Frequently asked questions about the diagnosis, treatment and management of seizures in dogs

Mojo is SO young! I am so sorry this happen.
Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

We have a gsd with epilepsy his started when he was 2 but because he has four or five siezures a year the vet said would be detrimental to him as would cause liver damage so we did a lot of research and put hi. On a herbal mixture of scullcap and valerian it helps with epileptic dogs but also changed him over to raw food since doing this he has 2 siezures a year now but when has them there quite bad but kane are called partial motor siezure where he's aware of what's going on has fixed stare and paddles his legs leaves them very tired have you had brain scan done as this will at least let you know if siezures are through tumour or any other reasons some siezures can cause stroke I hope you find help so heartbreaking to see kills me every time kane has siezure breaks my heart I wish you all the best

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
sarah1366 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Has Mojo been to a veterinarian that has done any testing?
Seizures typically last only a few seconds and dogs are generally fine, and able to stand, afterwards. If he is unable to stand I would think that there is some other cause. It may not be epilepsy and there may be something else that caused the seizure and his inability to stand.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

I agree. His seizures are very, very long and repetitive and the inability to stand now appears to be either a neurological issue (tumor or brain damage from the seizure) or perhaps he hurt his leg(s) during the episodes.

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. My son had epilepsy as a child. When it first happened, he had a CT scan of his brain to check for possible causes and an EEG to confirm the epileptic activity.

I can't imagine a vet giving meds, not testing and then shrugging their shoulders.

You need more information before you will be able to make decisions. I hope you find a place where you can get the information and answers you need.

Prolonged seizures are NOT good. Dangerous, even. You need your answers soon.
Myah's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 01:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myah's Mom View Post
I agree. His seizures are very, very long and repetitive and the inability to stand now appears to be either a neurological issue (tumor or brain damage from the seizure) or perhaps he hurt his leg(s) during the episodes.

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. My son had epilepsy as a child. When it first happened, he had a CT scan of his brain to check for possible causes and an EEG to confirm the epileptic activity.

I can't imagine a vet giving meds, not testing and then shrugging their shoulders.

You need more information before you will be able to make decisions. I hope you find a place where you can get the information and answers you need.

Prolonged seizures are NOT good. Dangerous, even. You need your answers soon.
Our beagle had seizures, they would only last 30 seconds to maybe a minute. She would look confused, but returned to normal (for a beagle anyways) in a short time. I remember the vet saying their temperature could rise to a dangerous level if they go on too long?
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

yes i need to go for a mri or city scan and even the doctor(another vet) told the same today and also told mojo has suffered paraplegia but the problem is there is no such place to do the scan for a dog and it is in another city but the encouraging factor is today while the doctor came for a visit mojo did bark softly and doctor told us to help him to stand on his feet and he did that with a little help and he waggered his tail. i hope this is a starting of some good news coming in our way.
doctor told that his heart beat seemed unnatural and that he might be suffering from cardiac arrhythmia and that is the reason of his neurological problem on his back legs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.