German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Gold Beads/Acupuncture and Ester C- HD (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/383218-gold-beads-acupuncture-ester-c-hd.html)

VTGirlT 12-17-2013 10:15 PM

Gold Beads/Acupuncture and Ester C- HD

First question:
Has anyone tried Acupuncture or and Gold beads or know someone who has? What was the outcome?
I met with a third Vet today, and he has been a Vet for a long time doing Acupuncture and Gold Beads. And he seems to think this is the best option for Zelda's HD. I defiantly respect his opinion. (he is also my boss) He said it would be best if we did acupuncture to see if it helps her, and if it does than we should do Gold Beads. This sounds like something i can do financially.. We talked about FHO, since he can do this too.. but he said that should be a last resort.
He also really seemed to push Zelda on carprophen long term- but i am looking into Canine pain Plus as a suggestion from someone on here. (thanks!)
I defiantly want to go natural before anything else, as prescription meds always put a flag up for me because of my own personal experiences.

Second Question:
Ester C.. My vet said to put her on some vitamin C.. is ester C as good as a normal vitamin C supplement or better? I have seen people suggest it, but my question is what brand to get and how many mg to give?

Found these two:

American Health Ester-CŪ Powder with Citrus Bioflavonoids -- 8 oz - Vitacost

(She is already on cosequin DS and fishoil)

huntergreen 12-17-2013 11:56 PM

you have seen the current results of the study in humans about vitamins haven't you?

GatorBytes 12-18-2013 12:13 AM

The study done by big Pharma who used the synthetic vitamins and minerals they produce?

or the study on vitamins sourced from whole foods in supplement form/powders

Gretchen 12-18-2013 12:46 AM

What is your dog's condition and why does it need Vit C? Dogs make their own vitamin C, unlike humans. If you supplement, you may risk that your dog's system does not produce it on it's own.

What is gold beads other than jewelry?

I would think the Rimadyl is OK for short term, a few weeks, but I'm with you, I would not want to use it long term.

Also I think you meant to use the word, "definitely" instead of defiantly.

Lucy Dog 12-18-2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorBytes (Post 4689322)
The study done by big Pharma who used the synthetic vitamins and minerals they produce?

I'd imagine this is the study she's talking about.

Vitamins Lack Clear Health Benefits, May Pose Risks - Forbes

Gretchen 12-18-2013 01:08 AM

OK - I found gold beads, here's a study of them:

Two years follow-up study of the pain-relieving effect of gold bead implantation in dogs with hip-joint arthritis

VTGirlT 12-18-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 4689250)
you have seen the current results of the study in humans about vitamins haven't you?

Nope I have not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucy Dog (Post 4689418)
I'd imagine this is the study she's talking about.

Vitamins Lack Clear Health Benefits, May Pose Risks - Forbes

Interesting..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gretchen (Post 4689394)
What is your dog's condition and why does it need Vit C? Dogs make their own vitamin C, unlike humans. If you supplement, you may risk that your dog's system does not produce it on it's own.

What is gold beads other than jewelry?

I would think the Rimadyl is OK for short term, a few weeks, but I'm with you, I would not want to use it long term.

Also I think you meant to use the word, "definitely" instead of defiantly.

She has HD. Do you know what the risk is? There must be a safe dose to use that will benefit, as i've seen a handful of people on here and outside use vitamin C or ester C.

Spelling is not my forte' :D

Is there anyone who has heard of the outcome of Gold Beads or have a dog who had it done?

Thanks!

Gretchen 12-18-2013 03:22 PM

I know I am not answering your question again, but my sister has had rheumatoid arthritis for 35 years. When she was first diagnosed, she was given gold injections for a couple years, gold is considered an anti-inflammatory. She found the gold to be not effective, and stopped that treatment.

What helped my sister a lot was changing her diet and removing things from it that she felt gave her inflammation - processed foods, wheat and diary. She used to go for reflexology. I had a neighbor who took her dog for acupuncture and felt it helped her dog. My sister also either ate a lot of salmon or took products with fish oils.

Zookeep 12-18-2013 07:35 PM

In an article published on the Colorado State website, the author states that gold bead therapy offers no benefits over acupuncture and poses substantial potential for injury:

http://csuvets.colostate.edu/pain/Ar...adImplants.pdf

huntergreen 12-18-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorBytes (Post 4689322)

the one done at john hopkins.