Ear Infection - Serious Fright Aggression Against Vet (moved to health issues) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbrz View Post
If the ear doesn't smell it might be ear mites and not an infection. I don't think antibiotics work on ear mites.
We have had the dog on Revolution or one of its analogs since about 10 weeks, I think. That stuff is supposed to do away with mites, right?

LF
Longfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfunhouse View Post
Our metro had yucky ears, but loved to have them rubbed...to clean them we would wrap a paper towel around our ears and rub them...
Ummm, what's the paper towel around you own ears supposed to do, make you look like Spock? And, do you do a paralyzing mind-meld with the dog? Hey, he treats the vet like an alien already.

Just kidding. It made me laugh, though.

LF
Old 12-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longfisher View Post
Ummm, what's the paper towel around you own ears supposed to do, make you look like Spock? And, do you do a paralyzing mind-meld with the dog? Hey, he treats the vet like an alien already.

Just kidding. It made me laugh, though.

LF
LMAO! I just woke up from a night shift...I guess I'm still a bit off! Ha ha ha ha!!!
Sabo's Blog (I'm nuts)
erfunhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

animox works, I think it covers yeast, mites, and infection. But you have to put it in the dog's ears for at least three days, twice a day. And my vet always has me give cephalexin twice a day, orally, for 10 days.

The thing is, once you get this cleared up, since your dog seems to really have a problem with vets, etc, your best bet is to flush those ears twice a week, with something that will clean and dry the ear canal. If the canal is moist, stuff likes to grow where it is warm and moist. Making the environment inhospitable to that which grows, it will help your dog have fewer ear infections, and thus fewer terrifying and painful trips to the vet.

If the infection is really deep, you can have them do a deep cleaning, and for this the dog will need to be sedated. Not in a gas chamber. But sedated while they do that tube thing and go down and clean it out. Then they will have you give antibiotics and maybe stuff within the ears too. No shortcuts, but if the it is so deep, then it will just keep coming back.

I am sorry your dog has so much trouble with the vet. Poor guy. I would muzzle, and probably medicate the dog before going if my dog was having that much trouble. Another possibility is to call a vet that can make a house call. Sometimes dogs freak out in the clinic environment.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfunhouse View Post
...but are they exhibiting fear?
There is no question the vets exhibited fear as did the vet techs.

But I certainly don't and neither does the ex-military kennel master who has trained him. He reacts to us at about half the level of ferocity he has for the vet when we mess with his ears.

Actually, I was a bit crestfallen when he snapped at me. I've never had him snap at me in more than a year of caring for him.

The trainer just leaned down and put his face in the face of the dog and admonished him to not make a mistake he'd regret. He's an amazing dog handler and has worked with the most incredibly aggressive dogs on earth, the Marine patrol dogs who sniff out IEDs in the direction of march.

After trying to medicate him even he said that pressing that further would risk turning the dog aggressive. I certainly respect his experience and judgement.

As I type this the dog is cavorting around the house with my Aggie son home for the Holidays. Leave his ears alone and he's a perfect pet. Go figure.

LF

Last edited by Longfisher; 12-17-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

But the reason he is so fussy about his ears, is because they hurt. And if he is scratching at them, he will get them infected as well as yeasty or mitey whatever the case. So he needs for this to be dealt with. Muzzle him before you take on to do his ears. I do not squirt flush down there, but the ointment I do.

The ears are going to only get worse without treatment. The ointment will help with infection, swelling, yeast, pain, and mites.

If you let his ears get worse, he will shake his head, and then he can get a hematoma. A hematoma is when the blood vessel break and the blood will gather in there like a cigar. And, it will break the cartilage in your dog's ear and it will no longer stand. The treatment of the hematoma is generally surgery, and they will cut it open and then sew it up, and put drains in.

Then you have to take the dog to the vet to take the drain out.

And back to the vet to get the stitches out.

Both of these are done without anesthizing the dog further, as sedation is really not a good thing to keep putting a dog under.

So we really, really want to avoid the hematoma. Even with the surgery the ear will not stand again.

If they just give the dog prednizone, the ear will crumple up.

Ear infections suck, to be sure. But you need to do whatever it takes to get the meds in the ear, and to try and prevent them. A down-ear isn't the end of the world, its true. It does not affect their personality at all. But I love the expressiveness of GSD ears.

Heidi, RA CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 12-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
There is no question the vets exhibited fear as did the vet techs.

But I certainly don't and neither does the ex-military kennel master who has trained him. He reacts to us at about half the level of ferocity he has for the vet when we mess with his ears.

Actually, I was a bit crestfallen when he snapped at me. I've never had him snap at me in more than a year of caring for him.

The trainer just leaned down and put his face in the face of the dog and admonished him to not make a mistake he'd regret. He's an amazing dog handler and has worked with the most incredibly aggressive dogs on earth, the Marine patrol dogs who sniff out IEDs in the direction of march.

After trying to medicate him even he said that pressing that further would risk turning the dog aggressive. I certainly respect his experience and judgement.

As I type this the dog is cavorting around the house with my Aggie son home for the Holidays. Leave his ears alone and he's a perfect pet. Go figure.

LF
Also, the flushes are wet, yuck in the ear. The ointment that goes down in there usually has something for pain. Once it is in there the dog might shake their head a little, but it is not the same as squirting wash in the ear. Dogs usually manage it better than the wash stuff. If you can put your finger down the ear, you can probably get the ointment in, ok.

Three days of working with the ointment before trying to clean it out.

Usually they won't be as sensitive that way.

Good luck.

Heidi, RA CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 12-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
I can touch the dog anywhere, including his ears. I can insert my fingers and thumb into his ear a long ways down. But I know he's sensitive to having anything squirted in his ears like bath water, even though he loves the lake. So, I never try to force anything into his ears if he objects to it.
Sorry you had such an awful time of it at the vets. Good news that you can manipulate his ears on your own though. Maybe you could use something that would absorb some of the medication and then subtly squeeze it into his ear canal? Like a small sponge or something?

I know you're thinking you're doing the right thing by not forcing things onto him that he objects to, but IMO that's not in his best interest. Not to say that I'd be hollering, "Submit!" while inflicting all sorts of things on my dog - but there's got to be a happy medium where the dog might not 'enjoy' what's going on, but will trust you enough to allow you to do it. He has to be able to deal with things he might not like.

Good luck with his ears. I wonder if this could be related to seasonal allergies? I know you're far south of me so maybe it's your time down there right now? Last fall (allergy season) my dog had many issues, and an ear infection was one of them. I had to squirt Burrows solution into his ear to clear it up.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My female was just at the vet for a torn nail. I did opt to have her sedated, which is like a twilight and then she was brought out of it. It was recommended because she is good at the vet and they didn't want anything negative to change that. Your dog is probably in pain and that is why he is reacting. Most vets aren't giving medications unless they know what it's for and I don't blame them. I wouldn't wait to do something when it comes to eyes or ears. A muzzle? How about a tranquilizer?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

Just out of curiosity, are you still doing bitework and obedience training with this dog? Was it IPO you were doing?
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.