German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Stomach Issues(Non GSD) but need thoughts... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/382962-stomach-issues-non-gsd-but-need-thoughts.html)

llombardo 12-17-2013 10:09 AM

Stomach Issues(Non GSD) but need thoughts...

My male golden just turned 4 last week. On Saturday he was throwing up and looking slightly green, I stayed up until 2 in the morning watching him ready to go to the vet, but he was looking better. He was eating, drinking, and poop was fine. Today he got up and threw up and poop not so great, but he refused pumpkin and his food. He did take a treat but I had to bring it to him. I called the vet to let them know we were on our way. Temp good, no pain when stomach touched, but I insisted on X-rays for peace of mind. It was taking to long and I was getting more nervous, then they brought me back to see them. It looks like possibly two foreign objects on one side(not sure what because he has never ate anything in his life) but more concerning it looked like there was separation of his stomach, but not bloat. The vet chose to keep him and sedate him for more X-rays because he was panting and wiggly. She also didn't want him home alone, needless to say I'm not going to work now because I'm a mess. What causes separation of the stomach? Vet says by looking at X-rays he should be lethargic and in pain, but neither of those things are evident. Anyone familiar with this?

Shade 12-17-2013 10:41 AM

Sorry I can't offer advice but sending well wishes for a full and speedy recovery :(

Daisy&Lucky's Mom 12-17-2013 10:45 AM

Sending thoughts and prayers for your boys(Tanner?'s) recovery. Im sorry have had no experience w/ this issue.take care v
Maggi

llombardo 12-17-2013 11:15 AM

Well X-rays look slightly better once he was sedated. Vet called and went over options, because Tannor refuses to eat, my guess is because he is there. He can come home and do a bland diet..chicken and cottage cheese or the barium test, blood work, and another X-ray. I opted for all the medical stuff then he can come home. I don't want him to be in any danger and I want everything ran now.

llombardo 12-17-2013 11:16 AM

Thank you for the well wishes, I feel like throwing up, I just want him to be okay.

huntergreen 12-17-2013 11:31 AM

hope all works out. if no improvement, may want to discuss exploratory surgery.

llombardo 12-17-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 4684994)
hope all works out. if no improvement, may want to discuss exploratory surgery.

That is my thought process and I'm hoping the barium helps me out.

Lilie 12-17-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 4684898)
or the barium test, blood work, and another X-ray. I opted for all the medical stuff then he can come home. I don't want him to be in any danger and I want everything ran now.

I'm with you. Since he is already there, might as well try and get some questions answered. Nothing worse than not knowing.

llombardo 12-17-2013 01:41 PM

I came back to get him and we decided he is spending the night. His liver values are elevated and the barium seems stuck in one area, which can be concerning and they want go give him another X-ray in the morning to see progress. I hate not having him home, but he can't have any food or water, so staying is best. They are giving him fluids. It's very possible he ate a stick and the piece is just to big. I am surrounded by trees and sticks are everywhere and he likes them, looks like I will be on his butt moving forward.