4 mo old with hip dysplasia - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2013, 12:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 4 mo old with hip dysplasia

Found out today that my 4 month old shows strong signs of hip dysplasia, has an overgrowth of demodic (sp?) Mites and the vet can't even find his testicles. Lesson learned, beware of breeders...

I wouldn't trade him for the world at this point. He's a good dog and part of the family. I'm very sad and just starting my search on hip dysplasia Info. Any advice or links that anyone can refer me to would be wonderful.

Thank you all for any input. *goes off to read anything possible on these issues*
***Beth*** is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 01:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

A reputable breeder is selling dogs with mange? Did you see the pedigrees for the parents?

I know they have surgeries that can repair the hips if they are severe. Usually xrays are taken to determine HD.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Beth*** View Post
Found out today that my 4 month old shows strong signs of hip dysplasia, has an overgrowth of demodic (sp?) Mites and the vet can't even find his testicles. Lesson learned, beware of breeders...

I wouldn't trade him for the world at this point. He's a good dog and part of the family. I'm very sad and just starting my search on hip dysplasia Info. Any advice or links that anyone can refer me to would be wonderful.

Thank you all for any input. *goes off to read anything possible on these issues*
Byb? Or a reputable breeder?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
GSDlover143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 01:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Sorry about the problems you're having. My GSD was diagnosed with severe HD at 6 months old, so I understand how you feel. Was his HD diagnosed with x-ray? That is really the only way you can know for sure. If you're concerned, get x-rays taken. Does he have any trouble walking? The only signs I had with my GSD was that he would periodically just sit down during a walk and whine when he got up after a walk. He never limped or showed any other visible signs.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 01:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

His gait swings quite a bit, he's very unstead with stairs, walking, running, falls sideways quite often, never jumps onto anything, his back legs tend to point outward and the vet mentioned that he seemed to be in pain when she tried to feel around the hip area. They are recommending me to a clinic for xrays.

The dam is akc registered but the father wasn't, it was his first litter and yes I'd have to say byb. Contacting him monday to notify him of the health issues. I didn't do my proper homework, I fully admit this.
***Beth*** is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 01:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
His gait swings quite a bit, he's very unstead with stairs, walking, running, falls sideways quite often, never jumps onto anything, his back legs tend to point outward and the vet mentioned that he seemed to be in pain when she tried to feel around the hip area. They are recommending me to a clinic for xrays.

The dam is akc registered but the father wasn't, it was his first litter and yes I'd have to say byb. Contacting him monday to notify him of the health issues. I didn't do my proper homework, I fully admit this.
Well, most people go to BYBs for their dogs anyway, so don't feel too bad about it. It's already happened and in the past now. Most folks on this forum have done it too. We (hopefully) learn and move on.

Don't fret too much until the x-rays are done and interpreted by a radiologist. I would avoid any pain meds or supplements until after the x-rays are taken so as to not skew any results from the physical examination at the other clinic.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 01:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:

Don't sweat it. My pup is from a byb too... I took my chances. I just couldn't leave him in the conditions he was in.

GSDlover143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 02:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This is definitely something to "sweat" and why it is important not to support people who breed dogs like this. A puppy this young that is already symptomatic is not a good sign at all..X rays at the very minimum and pending their results, years of treatment ahead. Definitely worth "sweating".

GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 02:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

severe hd is not fun. its like someone tied 30 pound weights to the dogs back legs. struggles getting up from naps and can barely jump into a car. really limits the dog. worst part is knowing the dog is in pain. seeing a dog that wants to chase a ball but cant is pretty heart breaking. my first shepherd was also from a byb and got hd. tough lesson learned.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 03:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Beth "Lesson learned, beware of breeders..." not fair, not right. Who is going to step forward and help you get out of this mess? Good , breeders on the forum. Poor dog . Let's get to it .

Unless you have the dog x rayed and confirmed by x ray , you can not say that the dog is dysplastic . If it is the dog in the avatar he looks scrawny , underfed . A dog that age should not have such a tight face with a prominent bony peak to his head .

Demodetic mange comes from stress, distress, malnutrition, stress from vaccinations poorly timed when the body system is already under siege.

What are you feeding the dog ? Get on to a good diet and let the immune system reverse things.

Shampoo with DEFENDEX VETiONX® Defendex? - Skin Soothing Pet Shampoo . this is very safe -- repeat SAFE , both for yourself in handling it , and for the dog without marinating the dog in harsh , immune damaging chemicals.
Without it being effective it would be a waste of time. Fortunately it is very effective.

Good protein . Good food . Sources of organic sulfur -- garlic within reason and MSM , better when derived from a natural source (Canada / USA ) made from brewing byproduct . Are the Health Benefits of MSM Related to Sulfur? - good information .
This will help with inflammation , help the joints, help cartilage and ligaments . Your dog may be lacking condition , muscle strength , and be loose as a goose , weak , giving him the swaying movement.
A good greens formula appropriate for dogs will provide yet more natural MSM and immune supporting nutrition.

The dog can benefit from a good bone broth. Get chicken -- old stewing hen , necks, beef shank , bones (condoyles) put into the largest pot that you have . Cover with water . Bring to boil. With lid on reduce to simmer and let simmer all day (figuratively) till you have a condensed bone broth. Remove bones . Toss . Cool broth -- if you allow it to sit in the fridge the next morning you should have a wobbly gelly like mix . You can spoon this into the dogs GOOD food , or add to water to encourage hydration .

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.