Cryptorchidism? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cryptorchidism?

So I noticed today that my male only has one testicle. I've been looking up online and the only thing that came up was Cryptorchidism. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and what the best plan of action would be? He doesn't seem to be in any pain. Never has. No aggression or other noticeable uncommon behaviors. I read that the fee for the surgery to have it removed is between $350 and $800. And I really don't have that kind of money on hand, at the moment. What do you guys think?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
TaylorGSDT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Leave it. Don't breed him.

Neuter when you have the money. There is no hurry.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

I didn't plan on breeding him. Especially since I read it is genetic. So I'm assuming it came from his mother's line because his father was AKC registered with full health certs and excellent health down his lines.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorGSDT View Post
I didn't plan on breeding him. Especially since I read it is genetic. So I'm assuming it came from his mother's line because his father was AKC registered with full health certs and excellent health down his lines.

AKC registered does not have anything to do with quality, only that the dog's ancesters were registered in the stud book.

Health certification is done on hips, elbows, cardiac, thyroid, dm, cerf testing for eyes, tests for vWd -- von Wilbrand's disease, and probably others I am noth thinking of. But I do not know of a test that certifies a dog clear of the genetics that cause cryptorchidism. So, it could be either line.

What you need to look at is what the dog produces when used on other bitches, and the same for the bitch.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 12-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
AKC registered does not have anything to do with quality, only that the dog's ancesters were registered in the stud book.

Health certification is done on hips, elbows, cardiac, thyroid, dm, cerf testing for eyes, tests for vWd -- von Wilbrand's disease, and probably others I am noth thinking of. But I do not know of a test that certifies a dog clear of the genetics that cause cryptorchidism. So, it could be either line.

What you need to look at is what the dog produces when used on other bitches, and the same for the bitch.
What do you mean? He isn't purebred. His mother was a GSD/BC mix. Which is why I said it most likely came from her. From what I was told, Grizz (My boy's father), has sired 4 litters so far and nothing like this has shown up.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorGSDT View Post
What do you mean? He isn't purebred. His mother was a GSD/BC mix. Which is why I said it most likely came from her. From what I was told, Grizz (My boy's father), has sired 4 litters so far and nothing like this has shown up.

No, that is all AKC does guaranty, so far as it can guaranty anything is that the dog is purebred. It does not guaranty that the dog is well bred or that the dogs used to in his background had any health certifications or titles. It just means that their ancesters were purebred.

If he has four litters and no incidents of cryptorchidism, then the one to look at is the bitch. Probably.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 12-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

My 3.5 year old GSD has cryptorchidism. He is otherwise perfectly healthy, and has caused him no issues. Only difference is he has absolutely no sex drive or sexuality at all. Well rounded, even tempered, obedient, great with other dogs.

Do get him neutered, I've been told between 12-18 mos. Otherwise he'll be at a higher risk for testicular cancer. Unfortunately situations keep coming up and my boy's finally getting neutered early this spring, so relieved about that. Don't be a dumbass and wait as long as I did.

Also, look into a company called CareCredit. They have a credit card specifically for pets. I'm using mine to pay for his surgery, because my vet bill is looking at around $1000+.

jsca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Personally, I would wait until the dog is at least 2 years. Testicular cancer is one that usually crops up later in life and can be generally dealt with by removing the testicals at that time. It is rare, but there is a higher incident rate in retained testicals according to some reports.

Neutering before the dog is fully mature can increase the incidents of other cancers with worse prognoses, like osteosarcoma, hemangiosarcoma, prostate cancer. And it can affect structural growth as well.

There is no hurry.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 12-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

That's another thing that threw me off, he actually is very sexually interested. He tries to mount my newly added female and she's not even in heat. I keep having to swat him off because I have yet to get her fixed.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Not having sexual interest and femine characteristics is not found in all cases of cryptorchidism. I think it is actually rather uncommon, but I am not sure of that. At any rate, a retained testical can be active so neutering the one that is out does not sterilize the dog. He is very capable of impregnating your bitch.

And, after you alter, he will still be able to do so for a number of days.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.