Zena got sick tonight :( - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2013, 05:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Zena got sick tonight :(

A little bit about Zena that i know before i get into her getting sick, so please bear with me..

Hello! I am Zena's new human mom as of two days ago, when a neighbor posted on our neighborhood website that her husband had found a young German shepherd chow mix at his job. I contacted them bc from the picture they posted of her she looked so much like a GSD except she doesn't sit low on her back end like a lot of GSD do, anyways I arranged a meet and greet at my house bc I have a one and half year rescued rottie that I've had since he was four months old (poor guy was tied to a sign on the interstate) and seeing how he is a big spoiled baby I needneeded to know that they would get along good in his territory. Well they did and I asked him about Zena (they called her Pepper). He told me that she was hanging around their EMS station and was shy, and once he finally caught her and found out where her previous owners lived he went there to find they had moved away, so he loaded Zena up and took her home. He told me that on the way his eyes started burning, and everything so he got home and ran her a nice warm bath and started to bathe her and the burning and itching, coughing and all got worse so they cleaned her up and made a phone to a friend who then told them Zena had a local police officer spray her with a whole can of pepper spray (hence why they named her Pepper). The next day they posted her on our website, after getting her cleaned up.
In just two days Zena has went from scared hiding in the corners not coming to the name Pepper to running around playing happily and coming every time to her new Zena. She has already learned to walk on the leash (not good but doesn't fight it at least anymore), she has learned sit, lay, come, and shake. Stay is totally out of the question for now bc I guess she thinks I am going to leave her if I get out of sight. She eats great (I feed Victor bc it doesn't have a lot of that trash a lot of foods have in it now days) and drinks plenty of water and is super hyper which we guessed she is around eights months old.

Tonight 12/13/2013 around 1:00 am I heard her getting sick (which she hasn't since I've had her and the couple that rescued her hadn't seen her sick either). She vomited two times both times it looked like stomach acid with tiny spots of blood (quickly got three q-tips and got blood spots and other samples of the vomit and stuck it in a plastic Ziploc bag for the vet), she isn't vomiting anymore, she drank a bit of water played a bit then went to sleep. Not sure if I should rush to the vet first thing in the morning, or hold off and see if she does it again?

Any advice or info would be awesome!! Already love this pup from a far she looks like a gsd but up close she looks like a fussy teddy bear with black muzzle and saddle lol...

Zena...

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/...209_174535.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/...210_110050.jpg
Zena's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2013, 05:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

She is gorgeous and so is your rottie - good on you for adopting them both! A lot of dogs in a new environment have tummy troubles - takes a couple months sometimes to settle into new food, routine, etc. but this normally seems to come out the other end as really loose stool or diarrhea. Vomiting, I think, is potentially more serious, and if you think there could be blood, I would definitely go to the vet, because better safe than sorry. It will put your mind at rest to take her in, and if she had been dosed with pepper spray (what's the story behind that, by the way?) that could have had some bad effects on her eyes, lungs, nose, intestinal tract, etc - I would want a vet to look at her because of the pepper spray even if she wasn't vomiting. That is potent stuff so maybe ask the vet to rinse her eyes out if they do that?

Again - she is really beautiful and I love your rottie (they are my favorite kind of dog!) and hopefully they will be best buddies for a long time! Keep us posted
Sookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 05:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

All I know about the police officer pepper spraying her is bc he said "she came up to him", but I mean come on you have a young puppy starving in front of you and instead of giving the rest of a sandwich to her he sprayed her. Ticked me off when my neighbor told me the story about why the cop did it. My neighbor is a EMT paramedic so once he knew it was pepper spray he quickly rinsed her eyes the day he got her home. I can't help but wonder if maybe from her eating anything to fill her tummy while on the streets and then having actual food in her may have caused this, but I've sent an email to my vet about it to get the samples I've got bagged to him.
Thanks my rottie is Rocky he is pushing 107 lbs at a year and half lol poor Zena if it wasn't for the fluffy fur she would look like a bag of bones so I am trying to get her weight back to normal which is iffy bc being GSD and chow chow its hard to know where she should actually be in weight.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Oh, ok, well it sounds like she has been thoroughly cleaned off! Emts are great but -- can't believe she was treated like that. Poor puppy! I know people can be scared of dogs but... Really? Pepper spray? she looks like she is a good weight from the pics, but it is hard to tell. If she is only 8 months she will be filling out lots I don't really see chow in her though, do you? I don't have much experience with chows though, so don't listen to me if you know she is. Post more pics and let us know how she gets on!
Sookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ze is short though and has those standing ear that flop at the end, I would hope she grows more into the fur bc I have wanted a GSD for a long time. I seem to have better luck with dogs pulled right off the street than anything. I will get some more pics of her, and put an album together soon as I figure out this app.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Zena got a clean bill of health today from her new vet, he said that every thing is fine with her but found a teace of hook worms and she is now a Stronid(spelling) wormer three rounds of it. Other than the small teace of worms from livingnon the streets for who knows how long, her tummy got upset from moving from eating anything to stay alive to digesting a normal dog food. She is her happy self again and no more vomiting since last night, well this morning at 1:00 lol. SUPER HAPPY!!!!! Below are some pics of Zena from today maybe you can see all her fluffy fur that doesn't seem to GSD to me. Lol

Attached Thumbnails
Zena got sick tonight :(-1386954938891.jpg   Zena got sick tonight :(-1386954969068.jpg  
Old 12-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Glad Zena is doing better! She is precious!
kaeseybadger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

I got some pics up in the forum about pictures pictures pictures. . From day one of her constantly panting to no more panting lol..she is such a sweet dog even after being left to fend for herself and I'm glad I had the chance to adpot her as my own four legged child. The vet also said he didn't see chow in her but more of the extremely long haired GSD *shrugs* not sure about that though bc I have never seen one with fur like her.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I can kind of see chow in her face, but whatever she's mixed with, she is 100% cute!!

Good luck with her, hopefully her tummy settles down soon.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you blackshep, I am not the one to argue with a vet though seeing how my dogs always go to one vet lol. Thank you I wish I could have seen her as a small puppy lol probably the custest one yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.